New Type of Protection Possibly Found

vbimport

So here’s my setup:
LG GSA-H22L v1.02 Firmware, Region Code 3.
Windows XP Pro
Slysoft AnyDVD 6.4.3.2
Problem DVD’s: Izo and Machine Girl (both R1, both new)

All I want to do is watch the DVD’s on my machine, but they display multiple images and stutter. At one point the drive even quit playing and flashed the FBI warning again. This was probably due to it being the first thing that shows when the disk restarts, but it creeped me out–hehe.

Things I have done:
Reflashed my DVD burners firmware
Played the DVD’s on a R1 TV/DVD player (worked)
Retried older RC1 DVDs on my LG Drive (worked)

Included are the log files for the two problem disks. I hope they can be of some use for solving this issue. It would also be worth noting that both of the disks are produced by the same company “Tokyo Shock”–Machine Girl was just released, and Izo appears to be a newer pressing of an older movie. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Galgor

[QUOTE=galgor;2071370]So here’s my setup:
LG GSA-H22L v1.02 Firmware, Region Code 3.
Windows XP Pro
Slysoft AnyDVD 6.4.3.2
Problem DVD’s: Izo and Machine Girl (both R1, both new)

All I want to do is watch the DVD’s on my machine, but they display multiple images and stutter. At one point the drive even quit playing and flashed the FBI warning again. This was probably due to it being the first thing that shows when the disk restarts, but it creeped me out–hehe.

Things I have done:
Reflashed my DVD burners firmware
Played the DVD’s on a R1 TV/DVD player (worked)
Retried older RC1 DVDs on my LG Drive (worked)

Included are the log files for the two problem disks. I hope they can be of some use for solving this issue. It would also be worth noting that both of the disks are produced by the same company “Tokyo Shock”–Machine Girl was just released, and Izo appears to be a newer pressing of an older movie. Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Galgor[/QUOTE]

I am not familiar with region 3 but what kinda software player are you using on your computer to play the dvd? I thought FBI message would be for the US market Region 1??

I’m using Media Player Classic.

Following some advice on the Slysoft forums and messing around a bit last night I changed my drives region to 1, and tried playing without AnyDVD–the same error/problem occured.

So this obviously isn’t an AnyDVD problem. But I’m really perplexed as to what it could be. All other NTSC Region 1 disks I’ve ever played in my player have had zero issues. Any advice on where to go from this point would be appreciated.

• Galgor

After reading through the logs I could not come up with anything out of the ordinary.

Update AnyDVD: http://forum.slysoft.com/showthread.php?t=17336

Download Nero DiscSpeed and use the Scan Disc feature to find out if you have two dud discs on hand. Make sure you clean the disc with soft cloth or follow a reputable cleaning guide. If both DVDs returns scans full of green, we can try something else.

If not, and you get yellows and reds, then you [I]may[/I] need to return the DVDs for a replacement.

Okay. So I’ve done both of those things.

Basically the Scans starting coming up solid red. Then I started AnyDVD and they went yellow for a few squares, then green. I did this multiple times and over the course of the entire scan to verify it was the AnyDVD startup and not just a fluke. If I kept AnyDVD up while the scans began they’d be solid green.

Also, I’m not sure if the scans have some sort of fail/abort code, but for some reason when I tried to do a full scan and let it go red–it would only scan 415mb before stopping and saying it was complete.

Is there any way to test whether my drive is failing?

Either it is or the discs are both bad. There’s nothing in the authoring to suggest “protection”. Though I must say, those do not look like original IFOs. Someone or thing has done some bypassing of PGCs (eg IZO, VTSM 1, PGC 56). Otherwise, it is standard authoring.

Regards

Well since my last post I’ve tried the same disks on several other similar computers and they’ve worked fine. The AnyDVD troubleshooting crew said it was either the DVD’s or “Your drive is slowly dying and cannot read slightly off-spec DVDs which we see more and more on the market today.”

Sadly, I believe it to be the second. Thanks for the help everyone.

So I’ve solved my issue. I feel like a fool. It wasn’t a hardware or CD issue at all, it was a software issue.

I had installed K-Lite Codec pack, then Realtime Alternative–which requires the install of MPC. I tried to uncheck the install of MPC during the RLT Alt. install, but it wouldn’t allow me to do so–so I let it install, thinking that it would install a seperate instance of MPC with no troubles.

I noticed that when I started a movie though, that several instances of FFShow would end up in my task bar. Upon seeing that, I uninstalled everything and reinstalled it in a different order–such that I only had to install MPC once. Now everything works perfectly.

I am a bit troubled as to why other discs seemed to work though and it was just these two. That seems particularly odd.