New TomTom app allows you to navigate 75km for free

vbimport

We’ve just posted the following news: New TomTom app allows you to navigate 75km for free[newsimage]http://static.myce.com//images_posts/2015/03/myce-tomtom-go-95x75.jpg[/newsimage]

Navigation software developer TomTom has released an Android app that allows users to navigate 75km a month for free.

Read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/new-tomtom-app-allows-you-to-navigate-75km-for-free-75499/](http://www.myce.com/news/new-tomtom-app-allows-you-to-navigate-75km-for-free-75499/)

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Hi :slight_smile:
Here maps lets you navigate forever for free.
Free on Windows phones for some time.
(Orogonally Nokia Here.)
Beta version for Android now available.
Here maps were known as “Navtec”.
So the maps are found on Garmin devices.

Good idea. It should encourage drivers to take regular breaks and avoid dangerous fatigue, say every 70-75KM. :wink:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2750742]Good idea. It should encourage drivers to take regular breaks and avoid dangerous fatigue, say every 70-75KM. ;)[/QUOTE] Taking a break lasting a MONTH every 75 km may become a bit annoying, don’t you think? :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2750747]Taking a break lasting a MONTH every 75 km may become a bit annoying, don’t you think? :p[/QUOTE]
Vision too blurred to see that part. :o

Once a month is rather restrictive, even for a trial version.

In my experience sat-navs are useless anyway.

Tried a Tom Tom once a few years ago. ‘[I]Get off the dual-carriageway at the next exit[/I]’ was correct (and rather obvious, even without a map). But it then wanted us to ‘[I]get on again in the opposite direction and after 50 metres turn left up the steep grassy embankment, through the hedge at the top and over a 5 metre high steel fence topped with spikes[/I].’ :rolleyes:

I think I’ll stick with the Nokia Here maps.

I’m surprised Nokia made its navigation software free for Android as I originally thought the whole purpose of it offering a free App on Nokia phones was to give users an incentive to buy a Nokia phone.

As for Tom-Tom, I think this once a month is rather restrictive also for a trial. I’m sure most users will end up using their one limit by either doing a test search or making a typo and there goes that usage for the month. :doh:

[QUOTE=Seán;2750751]
I’m surprised Nokia made its navigation software free for Android as I originally thought the whole purpose of it offering a free App on Nokia phones was to give users an incentive to buy a Nokia phone.
[/QUOTE]
Makes even less sense now they’re owned by Microsoft. :confused:

[QUOTE=Ibex;2750753]Makes even less sense now they’re owned by Microsoft. :confused:[/QUOTE]

why do you think it is only once a month now

Marty

As far as I can tell it’s not 75 km once a month but rather [B]75km total each month[/B]; there’s a counter in the app that counts down from 75 km (or the equivalent in miles).

The user interface is significantly changed compared to my older TomTom XXL device.

[QUOTE=Ibex;2750749]Tried a Tom Tom once a few years ago. ‘[I]Get off the dual-carriageway at the next exit[/I]’ was correct (and rather obvious, even without a map). But it then wanted us to ‘[I]get on again in the opposite direction and after 50 metres turn left up the steep grassy embankment, through the hedge at the top and over a 5 metre high steel fence topped with spikes[/I].’ :rolleyes:[/QUOTE] I think your TomTom may have been set to calculate the optimal mountain goat route rather than the optimal car route! :smiley:

[QUOTE=DrageMester;2750769]I think your TomTom may have been set to calculate the optimal mountain goat route rather than the optimal car route! :D[/QUOTE]
:bigsmile:

This was on the flat plains around Northampton. :eek:

I get worried about my father’s reliance on his Tom Tom when he goes on holiday to Spain (not entirely sure he should still be driving at all ;)). For the last 6-7 years every time he leaves the house it tells him to turn right and get on the motorway.

But they didn’t even start building it until 2 years ago and it is far from complete (currently just a 80-100 metre high novelty rock feature at the top of the ‘garden’).

Before then there wasn’t even a goat track, just a very steep mountain even the local Ibex struggled to navigate. Even the adults would get stuck on a ledge, and we’ve seen a couple fall!

And the error is still present on the new Tom Tom he bought a few months ago. :rolleyes:

[QUOTE=Seán;2750751]I think I’ll stick with the Nokia Here maps.

As for Tom-Tom, I think this once a month is rather restrictive also for a trial. I’m sure most users will end up using their one limit by either doing a test search or making a typo and there goes that usage for the month. :doh:[/QUOTE]

Hi :slight_smile:
Nokia Here will cease to be in April of this year.
Simply continues as Here maps.
See

www.here.com

BTW Available for Apple too!

^ Thanks for the update.

One feature I really like with Here is that it can operate fully offline like a standalone Sat Nav. This is very useful while roaming or in the case of me, being in a signal black spot where there’s no 3G coverage around here, never mind 4G!

[QUOTE=Seán;2750825]One feature I really like with Here is that it can operate fully offline like a standalone Sat Nav. This is very useful while roaming or in the case of me, being in a signal black spot where there’s no 3G coverage around here, never mind 4G![/QUOTE] Have a look at Navmii GPS:

Thanks for the suggestion, I put on Navmii GPS to give a try.

I previously used Navigator, but found it fairly awkward to use and was missing a lot of street information even with the latest Open Street Map updates. It also had trouble looking up many destinations claiming they don’t exist.

From a quick test with Navmii, it found each destination I tried. For some reason it said it could not find a route to Derry Airport, but when I tried the “Start Navigation” a second time it showed a route. I also like how it shows the GPS coordinates. The only main issue I noticed straight away is its ads, far more than Navigator had, so might end up paying for the ad-free version if this utility does well. Here maps seems to be ad-free.

One thing I’m curious to see is if Navmii shows the current road speed limit like Here does. Unlike the UK which mainly uses fixed speed cameras, Ireland uses mobile speed camera vans and lots of them which change locations a few times a day. So if I miss a speed limit sign, it’s nice when the Sat Nav beeps to let me know if I’m too fast.

[QUOTE=Seán;2750837]One thing I’m curious to see is if Navmii shows the current road speed limit like Here does.[/QUOTE] Navmii will show the speed limit when present in the map and will warn you if you drive faster. You can turn off the warnings in Preferences.

When Navmii doesn’t have speed limit info for the current road it will not attempt to use the default speedlimit for the current type of road in your country; e.g. it will not use the 50/80/130 km/h default speed limits for roads in Denmark, but only when there’s an explicitly listed speed limit in the map.

Navigation apps is something I only have as a backup for my hardware SatNav (currently TomTom), so I have limited experience with them.

Google maps works great, for the law abiding. requires an online connection though, unless you are forward thinking and route the maps while you still have wifi.