New to RAM and new some help

I just got done talking with my computers manufacture and this what they suggested for me since I want more RAM and this part kinda high sompared to other sites I’ve seen RAM on. What would you say is the best alternative to this RAM(Link to it would be nice)? Also I have to have 2 because I have Dual Channel Memory.

searched newegg ?

I have but I’m not sure what would be the best alternative.

:slight_smile: take ure pick :slight_smile: stick with corsair crucial g skill or mushkin best off getting a 2 gig matched kit :slight_smile: if its ddr 1 or ddr2 as timings can be different and u can lose performance :slight_smile:

If you had to choose which would you get?

If you’re not crazy about getting the absolutely tightest timings, here are some reliable 2 x 1GB Cas3 kits with the same performance specs as the part you linked to:

Corsair Value Select

Patriot Signature

Kingston ValueRAM

Decent Cas2 kits start @ $140:

Mushkin 2-3-2-6

Of course, if you intend on overclocking, none of these is really suitable. Look to spend a little more $$$.

Thinging about the Kingston. What exactly is a heatsink and will I need it? If so are these any good 1 2. Or would it just be better to get the mushkin with them already?

i wouldnt bother with heat spreaders on value ram as u wont be stressing it they only put it on performance ram cos it runs tighter timings and can be oc’d

What does tigher timings, well timings in general and oc’d mean?

Would it hurt to buy the Mushkin with the heat spreaders instead of the Kingston ValueRAM in the links above?

The main reason I want more RAM is for programs like Dvd Shrink which use %100 of my memory now when I use the “Deep Analysis” and “compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation” features.

Hi,

I might hurt your purse :slight_smile: Nothing else.

The main reason I want more RAM is for programs like Dvd Shrink which use %100 of my memory now when I use the “Deep Analysis” and “compress video with high quality adaptive error compensation” features.
Then the amount of RAM counts, not the timings. Also, you won’t notice any difference between “faster” and “slower” RAM modules in real-world applications. Additionally, the slower modules determine the total memory speed. If you just want to add a couple of sticks, then “overclocker” memory is just a waste of money :wink:

Michael

Which of the ones in post # 6 would you suggest then, or is there a better similiar one to one in my original post that my computer manufacture recommended for me?

Hi,

Corsair or Kingston should be fine.
I just browsed the Newegg site, and I saw, that they also have apparently the same Crucial memory as recommended by Gateway - but for roughly half the price (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146545). :slight_smile: Crucial is good stuff :slight_smile:

Michael

I get this message from that link “We apologize for the inconvenience, but the item you are looking for has been deactivated. Here are some similar products that you may wish to consider:”

:confused: Maybe there was something wrong with the Link I provided. Try again:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146545 or use this link here:
http://www.newegg.com/Store/Brand.aspx?Brand=1455&name=Crucial-Technology

Michael

Hi. From reading your questions, I would say the cheapest RAM I listed would be great for you. This is why:

1. You don’t seem to be overclocking.
  2. You were prudent enough to check prices before you bought a single stick of RAM for twice its value.
  3. The main reason you’re looking to upgrade is to run programs that benefit most from larger amounts of RAM rather than tighter timings (lower latency). Actually, at this point any machine using DDR SDRAM is going to benefit more from adding RAM… faster processors are not available, and lower latency RAM just isn’t going to matter at this point.

In your shoes I would order the Corsair and enjoy my “new” computer. :slight_smile:

Thanks Michael, but its out of stock, didn’t realize that orginal memory was Crucial until you said something and I checked back at my original link lol. I think I’m going to just go with the Corsair as tropic has suggested. Thanks to both of you!

/edit/Another question if I were to buy 2 more to replace my 2 512mb would it show up right? I saw in another thread a guy put 4gb in his and it only showed like 3.2gb. My computer says capitable for up to 4gb.

just get a 2 gig kit :slight_smile: and add it to ure 2* 512 u got :slight_smile:

Thats what I’m doing now, but I was just asking incase I did want to do that.

I saw in another thread a guy put 4gb in his and it only showed like 3.2gb. My computer says capitable for up to 4gb.[/
I have 4 gbs of Ram, Windows XP Pro only recognizes little over 3gbs. My motherbaord however recognizes the whole 4 gbs.