New to Lossless ripping/burning, need tips

vbimport

Hello, I’m pretty new to encoding/ripping/burning lossless music (my old computer didn’t enable me to rip many albums in lossless format due to space limitations) so I was just wondering, what is the best way to go about it? I want all the albums that I encode/rip to sound EXACTLY like the original source (A spot on match) I have been encoding albums using FLAC but I noticed that replaygain has been turned on, do you guys recommend leaving this on or not? Also, my friends have ripped a few albums for me (legal audio backup CD’s of bands they are in) and there is only one large audio file and a cue sheet. The only way I can get all the songs to appear in foobar is to first decode the large audio file, then I split the file into smaller audio files (individual songs) Then I re-encode the files using Flac. After doing this I can’t use the cue file to burn the album and this has become frustrating to me. Does anybody know what I can do to solve my problems? Thanks.

Do you own a stand alone component cd burner?

Well this is quite difficult but you will able to do it. You need EAC and as you said the FLAC encoder.

Well the first step is to configure EAC:

Go to EAC > Drive Options, and click on the button “Detect Read Features”, once you’ve clicked a box like this will appear:

If your drive caches audio data check the box “Drive cahces audio data”. About the C2 information it’s better not to use it because no drive is 100% accurate and it’s safe not to use it.

On the Offset/Speed tab, it’s better to use AccurateRip to find the Read Offset Correction of your drive. If you have different pressings of your CDs, check this list, find your drive and manually insert the read offset correction on the box. For editing in the box, you have to un-check “Use AccurateRip with this drive”.

Next on EAC > EAC Options on Tools tab, make sure to check “Retrieve UPC / ISRC codes in CUE sheet generation” if you want you can check “On extraction, start external compressors queued in the background” it will start encoding after you have ripped a track and it will be a little bit faster.

For configuring the FLAC encoder go to EAC > Compression Options. Go to “External Compression” tab and on Parameter passing scheme choose “User Defined Encoder”; in the box below write .flac. Next search where your FLAC encoder is located and in “Additional command line options” write this : -8 -V -T “artist=%a” -T “title=%t” -T “album=%g” -T “date=%y” -T “tracknumber=%n” -T “genre=%m” %s. Check the box “Delete WAV after compression”.

Well and this is all (I think) you can start ripping your CDs and don’t forget to create a CUE sheet on Action > Create CUE Sheet > Multiple WAV Files With Gaps (Noncompliant). And you will get 1:1 copy :).

About the Cuesheet playback, yes you will not able to play it because this cuesheet is designed to play with one big file. You need to create a cuesheet for multiple files and then you will be able to play it.

About the Cuesheet playback, yes you will not able to play it because this cuesheet is designed to play with one big file. You need to create a cuesheet for multiple files and then you will be able to play it.

Hey, thanks. I actually found the guide that used to be on Oink.cd on how to set EAC up correctly. The only prob I have left is what the hell to do with those albums that I have that are all one single file with a cue sheet. I want to know how to get them to show up in Foobar without me having to covert them to separate audio tracks.

[QUOTE=juancdg;2010038]About the Cuesheet playback, yes you will not able to play it because this cuesheet is designed to play with one big file. You need to create a cuesheet for multiple files and then you will be able to play it.[/QUOTE]

Is this how I split those big album images into different tracks? I will still be able to burn the album flawlessly?

[QUOTE=GoldLP;2010304]Is this how I split those big album images into different tracks? I will still be able to burn the album flawlessly?[/QUOTE]

No this is for creating cuesheets from the ripped cd with all the Index and ISRC stuff.

To split the album, you have to go to Tools > “Split WAV by CUE Sheet” there you will be able to split the cuesheet.

[QUOTE=GoldLP;2010295]I actually found the guide that used to be on Oink.cd on how to set EAC up correctly.[/QUOTE]

It took me an hour to write this. :doh: Well, it doesn’t matter I hope this can help others too :).

Oink.cd

I am very confused about FLAC, Cue sheets etc.