New to Forum & Prob with MCC004 Discs

Hi, I’m a newbie hurrah !

I am new to the forum and have spent several days reading and searching this wonderful site.

I am tearing my hair out with some new discs I’ve bought, the first time I’ve ever bought more than 100 in one go, and the first batch of 50 discs I’m getting an 80%(approx) verify failure rate with them. They simply refuse to verify properly, either with Nero (6) or ImgBurn 2.3.2.0. ImgBurn gives the following info about the discs:

LITE-ON DVDRW SHW-16H5S LS0W (ATA)
Current Profile: DVD+R

Disc Information:
Erasable: No
Free Sectors: 2,295,104
Free Space: 4,700,372,992 bytes
Free Time: 510:03:29 (MM:SS:FF)
Supported Write Speeds: 6x, 8x, 12x, 16x

Physical Format Information (ADIP):
Disc ID: MCC-004-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

Physical Format Information (Last Recorded):
Disc ID: MCC-004-00
Book Type: DVD+R
Part Version: 1
Disc Size: 120mm
Maximum Read Rate: Not Specified
Number of Layers: 1
Track Path: Parallel Track Path (PTP)
Linear Density: 0.267 um/bit
Track Density: 0.74 um/track
First Physical Sector of Data Area: 196,608
Last Physical Sector of Data Area: 2,491,711
Last Physical Sector in Layer 0: 0

I’ve tried writing at 12x & 8x and still get verify failures. The last 5 burns have failed consecutively to verify. Interestingly the discs do actually play fine in a DVD player/recorder !

I’m wondering whether a firmware upgrade is required for this new media ?

I installed Smartburn 3.1.16t and had to install the aspi32.dll in order for it to see the drive. (Only one option in Drive Setting is not greyed out - Disable Smart Burn).

Since I had to put the aspi32.dll on, I’m going to reboot and then try burning again before having changed anything else. In the meantime, I would appreciate your advice.

Thanks very much,

Chloe.

Do any of these non verified discs play in your PC or standalone? Post a burn log from either Nero or ImgBurn of one of these failed to verify burns.

Hi and Welcome!

What brand are these discs?

Michael

Wow, thanks for the speedy replies and the welcome :slight_smile:

I’ve attached a burnlog from Nero & a media id from ImgBurn following the failed verify. ImgBurn status message states the newly burned disc is “Empty”.

Kprobe gives the following info about the burnt disc:

Disc Type DVD+R
Book Type DVD+R
Manufacturer Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
Media ID MCC004
Protection System None
Region 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8
Capacity 7.51 GB
Free Size 4.38 GB
Free Blocks 2295104
Number of Layers 1
Maximum Rate Not Specified
Linear Density 0.267 um/bit
Track Density 0.74 um/track
Maximum Read Speed 6.4x
Maximum Write Speed 16.0x
Current Write Speed 16.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 1 16.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 2 12.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 3 8.0x CLV
Write Speed Performance Descriptor 4 6.0x CLV

ERRLOG - XTRO.txt (7.87 KB)

After Nero failed verify of XTRO.txt (1.03 KB)

Hi Chloe :slight_smile:

Michael means, what’s the brand name on the packaging of the MCC004 discs - Verbatim, Infiniti, or something else?

Edit: Ooops, didn’t realise Michael just came online :o

Thanks for the logs BTW, I’m sure someone will be along to take a look at them soon. :slight_smile:

Edit 2: OK, you might want to remove your nVidia IDE drivers (Nero is reporting your DMA as “off” and this may be misreported due to said drivers).

Is that the movie “Xtro” BTW? I saw that years ago :slight_smile:

P.S. The discs are Branded Tuffdisc & are single layer +R’s. The PC doesn’t read the discs but the standalone recorder does play them ok. Putting the disc back in the drive makes (Windoze) Explorer display the drive as a CD Drive(!) which it is not. It doesn’t show any data written on the disc, and clicking on properties for the drive shows zero written bytes & zero available space.

Please helllllllp :frowning:

See my edit above, and try removing the nVidia IDE drivers (hopefully someone can talk you through how to do that as I don’t use them).

However, the Tuffdisc may be your problem, and not the drivers: I’d only trust the MCC004 code under Verbatim or Infiniti brands.

Hi,

Well, I asked for the brand of these discs, as these might be not genuine MCC004. If these discs are Verbatim branded, then these are the real stuff.

[I]EDIT: Just saw Arachne’s comments, so mine are redundant ;)[/I]

Michael

Sorry I’ve not figured out how to quote a post yet…

Re: the Nvidia, I did read that somewhere, so checked the drivers and they’re just the Micro$oft ones…for the drive itself. However the IDE controller is (of course) Nvidia. Hummm…but it’s been like that for 18 months, burning hundreds of discs with around 2% failure rate (unless I buy Tesco branded discs and then it’s at least 75% - well I was desparate at the time & my fave supplier was closed).

That’s my excuse anyhow hehehehe.

Yeah I know…Tesco hehehehe.

Xtro - yeah am putting it down so my partner can watch it. He’s a film buff, so I do many AVI’s to DVD’s via Nerovision and others for him.

Haven’t figured out how to do NSV’s yet tho.

So do I have to change the controller then? Just for these pesky Tuff(ty)discs…bother and bother !

Tesco! gasp :bigsmile:

If you’ve had no problems with your controller drivers as they are, then I’d leave them be for the moment :), it’s just Nero can misreport DMA status with them.

It’s more likely to be the discs - got any other brands you can try for the moment?

hmmm other brands…now let me see…other then those other ones I mentioned earlier I take it :bigsmile:

I’m stuck with the ones I’ve got at the mo because having totally run out, I bought 200 at once, not having had any probs with the supplier before. I usually get them in batches of 50 at most. Won’t be doing that again in a hurry!

Just press the “quote post” button :wink: More information can be found in the FAQ: http://club.cdfreaks.com/faq.php?

So do I have to change the controller then?
This is the way, I would prefer:[list=a]
[li]Get the latest drivers for your mainboard chipset from www.nvidia.com
[/li][li]Then go to control panel, “add/remove software” and select the Nvidia driver package. Uninstall completely. You’ll have to reboot then.
[/li][li]Next step: Install the new drivers you downloaded previously, but make sure the “Nvidia IDE driver” option is not checked.[/list]
[/li]
Michael

Yep, either changing your controller drivers as Michael has instructed, changing your discs, or both should have a good result :iagree:

Just press the “quote” button

My big smily has disappeared from my previous post tho.

Hmmmm…glad I posted in newbies :slight_smile:

Get the latest drivers for your mainboard chipset from www.nvidia.com

How do I identify the chipset, so I can choose the correct driver installer ? Thanks for the link btw :slight_smile:

Ohhhhhh look…an edit button :slight_smile: Thank the gods :slight_smile:

Edit: That cat Avatar is so cool :slight_smile: Just keeps tappin away.

Edit 2: D’oh, I think I see it - the IDE Controller is listed in Device Manager as an nForce3…that’ll be the chipset then won’t it ! Hmmmm, I’ll get me coat hehehe.

Hi,

We had to replace our drive as the discs it was burning were written so faintly you could hardly tell visually they’d been written to at all. Tried a cleaning disc which had brushes on it, and it made a horrible grinding noise in the drive. RIP.

The new drive is consistently failing 8 out of 10 discs whereby it burns happily through 4.5gb, gets to the end to prepare to verify and fails at:

19:53:34 #19 CDR -1 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1937
Unspecified Recorder Error
E: ATAPI DVD A DH20A1P

19:53:34 #20 TRANSFER -24 File ThreadedTransferInterface.cpp, Line 1937
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

19:53:34 #21 Phase 127 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1725
Generating DVD high compatibility borders

19:53:34 #22 CDR -1 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
Unspecified Recorder Error
E: ATAPI DVD A DH20A1P

19:53:34 #23 TRANSFER -24 File WriterStatus.cpp, Line 167
Could not perform end of Disc-at-once

19:53:34 #24 Phase 38 File dlgbrnst.cpp, Line 1725
Burn process failed at 16x (22,160 KB/s)

The discs play ok on a standalone dvd recorder, but not on an older standalone dvd player.

Can anyone advise further please as these are supposedly good discs.

P.S. I tried removing the nvidia IDE drivers, however this meant that approx every 12 hours without fail, the machine would crash. I have therefore rolled back to the nvidia drivers. Chipset is at latest release (May 2005).

ERRLOG - Paradise Lost 2.txt (7.86 KB)

ERRLOG - Eaten Alive.txt (7.84 KB)

ERRLOG - The Hills Have Eyes 2.txt (7.85 KB)

ERRLOG - The Funhouse.txt (7.84 KB)