New to forum need help with Sony Burner

vbimport

Hi
I am new to the forum and a complete newbie. I recently purchased a Sony DWD-22A DVD burner OEM. When I put in CD or DVD the drive doesn’t even recognize it. While I am not a great computer person, I know a couple of things. The DVD burner is installed as the master drive to my Plextor CD burner as slave. The firmware for the DVD burner is BYS2. I have tried looking at other posts and I think they are over my head or they are farther down the process. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. My car club has some interesting DVD’s relating to our cars, my eventual goal is to burn copies so that we never lose the original and stupid things only happen to the copy.
Thanks
Jerry

What version of wimdows are you using? If it is XP use the device manager to “remove” (uninstall) your drive. THen shut down your computer and start it back up. Your XP should recognize the drive and install the proper drivers. I have had to do htis once in a while with my system, sometimes it just gets a brain fart.

Thanks
I have tried this numerous times to no avail. Any other suggestions?
Thx
Jerry

Yo-

How did you set the jumper on the back of the burner?

Does your bios recognise the drive at startup?

What operating system do you use and what chipset is your motherboard?

Mike

Hi
The jumper is set as the master. The BIOS recognizes the drive at set up. I am using Windows XP Home. My mobo is an ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe. From the manual with the mobo, it says the chipset is Intel 865PE Intel ICH5R. Hope this info helps. Thanks for the help
J

Yo-

In “My Computer” - “System” - “Devices” - “Secondary IDE Channel” what does it say for the burner?

Mike

Hi
Secondary IDE Channel
Device Type: IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers
Manufacturer: ( Standard IDE ATA / ATAPI Controllers
Device Status: Working Properly
Hope this is what you were looking for. Thanks again for trying to help.
Jerry

as long as you are sure that the burner is PHYSICALLY installed correctly [jumpers, cables on IDE Master/Slave etc] i suggest.

1. go to Asus, get latest BIOS firmware update.

2. Install latest chipset drivers for Intel chips
    Intel Chipset Installation Utility 7.0.0.1025
    http://downloads.guru3d.com/download.php?id=17

Hi
Now it gets interesting. I did evrything in the previous post. Here are the results: Put in a CD and it was read immediately. This caused a quick rendition of my infamous fat man dance as I am 6’0" and about 370 pounds. Went for the gusto. Grabbed a DVD and voila nothing. Put the same CD back in and nothing again. What gives? Help please
Thanks
Jerry

http://www.network54.com/Forum/thread?forumid=336827&messageid=1101539218&lp=1111783192