New to DVD burning

I’ve been burning CD’s for years, but I am now ready to plunge into the world of DVD burning. I purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 with 2GB of RAM. The CD?DVD burner is a TSST-653B. The OS is Vista Home premium. I use AVG antivirusIt came with Roxio Creator 9. I’ve also Downloaded CD Burner XP, which i used in the past to burn CDr’s.

The Burner is supposed to handle both DVDr + and -. From what I have read on here, the type of media used is more important when burning DVD’s then it is when burning CDrs’I am wondering about the pros and cons of both for this system. I am also thinking of purchasing another drive and wonder what type I should get.

Thanks in advance

ERic

• is better for compatability usually, but in the end it doesn’t really matter. What matters is quality of the dye. And quality isn’t cheap.

You can see what your writer can with the Nero Info Tool.

[QUOTE=killerkane;1940431]I’ve been burning CD’s for years, but I am now ready to plunge into the world of DVD burning. I purchased a Dell Inspiron 530 with 2GB of RAM. The CD?DVD burner is a TSST-653B. The OS is Vista Home premium. I use AVG antivirusIt came with Roxio Creator 9. I’ve also Downloaded CD Burner XP, which i used in the past to burn CDr’s.

The Burner is supposed to handle both DVDr + and -. From what I have read on here, the type of media used is more important when burning DVD’s then it is when burning CDrs’I am wondering about the pros and cons of both for this system. I am also thinking of purchasing another drive and wonder what type I should get.

Thanks in advance

ERic[/QUOTE]

Did you make sure it also does DVD+R DL burns?? What do you have all in the system for the burning hardware device? Also I would get rid of Roxio as this has been known to cause problems with Slysoft burning software if you choose to go that way…and for CD burner XP I don’t know much about this program. But you should ask yourself what do you plan to burn and how much burning are you going to do? Also make sure you try various media to find one that works best for your burner but most people usually go with verbatim first but that will depend on alot what media you have available in your area to buy. But you will want to consult your owners manual to see what specs are in your system first…then we can see what users here can recommend for your use.

Thanks for the advice. I will most likely ditch the Roxio, it has never been my favorite burning software. I think I will buy some Verbatium’s and give it a whirl. I live in an area that has all the major media selling retailers, so i should have no problem finding different types of disks.
I know where to ask for info on burning DVD’s, this site is the best.

Eric

A great addition to your burning program arsenal might be ImgBurn. Taiyo Yuden might also be another good addition when it comes to blank media, I doubt that you will find any but made in Japan would be a great find.