New to burning world

Ty for reading this post. I have a small problem:( .I am trying to back up everything for A total reformat but, am having a problem returning wav files to my computer.after coping wav files to a CDR I copy and paste then back to my puter.Then tried to play them and media player says this format not supported. So it would seem I have something set wrong. Any Suggetions? I have Nero 5.5.5.6 software and a Cendyne CDRW

How are you backing up these files? Just using windows explorer. Have you reformatted the drive yet, because it just seems that the association with that file type is incorrect but that is unusual. It can be checked by right clicking on the file and see if you can open with windows media player to see if the file plays.

am backing up data by placing it on CDR.Backing up audio files placing them on zip. have not reformated yet. Waiting for win 98 Cd from Microsoft. I have coppied and pasted audio file and tried to play on media player and says this format not supported.

did you change your file system? I.e. FAT 32 to NTSF? that COULD be the problem…

I have not reformated yet. I probally will not reformat till next weekend.

Originally posted by netherstone
am backing up data by placing it on CDR
Yes but how? Are you making an audio disc? If so Nero will have converted this to a normal audio file which cannot simply be copied and pasted after writing. You have to rip the files back to your harddisk. Please give us some more info on how you did it exactly.

I used the nero wizard and followed the on screen instructions. When I opened up Nero burn it asks you if, if you want to compile a new CD I say yes, next it ask for Audio, Data or other CD I checked audio, then it says to select the burn button in the tool bar so I do. Then in file browser I open the drive my wavs are on then I drag and drop the selected wavs to the Audio window on the left side, after I have dragged and dropped the required number of wavs to the audio window on the left I click the burn window and it starts burning. Is this enuff information?

I suspect, from your discription, that you have actually made an audio CD (put it in a normal CD player and the tracks should play!). Nero has converted all your .wav tracks into CD tracks.

Try burning another disk with the wizard, this time tell it you only want a data disk and it should leave your files alone :cool:

Indeed that’s waht I suspected too… Nero has converted your WAV files to normal audio files that can now be played in your audio player. You can’t simply drag&drop the files on your harddisk from your CD-ROM now because Windows doesn’t see them as wav files. Do what PsychoHippy suggested or use a so-called audio ripper to get the files from the audio disc like EAC.

I have Cedx.Is this ripper satisfactory?

Originally posted by netherstone
I have Cedx.Is this ripper satisfactory?
Sorry don’t know it. I recommended EAC because it has a lot of options and is very reliable. Cedx (didn’t you mean CDex?) might also be good, I don’t know.

Cdex correct sry

This will take a little longer, but it stoped a similar problem I had when trying to back up my MP3 folder.

I used WinRar to break the whole 8 Gig folder into nice CD sized parts so I could just burn those.

It works fine for a backup and it’s even better if you use rewritable disks.

Just start it when you go to sleep.

You can even compress them to make fewer CDs.

I suggest you at least run a test of the complete file set before you format though. Sometimes WinRar does make mistakes.

I used WinRar to break the whole 8 Gig folder into nice CD sized parts so I could just burn those. It works fine for a backup and it’s even better if you use rewritable disks.

Just start it when you go to sleep.

You can even compress them to make fewer CDs.

I don’t suggest this idea. When trying to compress mp3s, which r already compressed, it is very likely you’ll end up not getting any compression at all or a bigger file. If you still would like to use this method then I would suggest selecting no compression when busting down an 8gig folder.

Ooops, thanks SPINESHANK I forgot about that. Your right. When doing the MP3s I didn’t get any compression.

I didn’t intend to mislead.

I guess I shouldn’t try giving advice at that time of night. :o