New to burning - need all the help I can get

I really want to learn how to burn movies to disk but I have never done it before and I have no idea as to where to even start.

I have a Samsung 20x Double Layer Dual Format DVD Burner
The only blank cd’s I currently have at this time are cd-rw’s.

My first question is can movies be burnt to cd-rw’s?

If so, could you please give this newbie a “detailed” step by step list of what all I need to do to burn movies? Right now I have a few movies on my pc that I would like to burn. The two formats they are in are .avi and MP4.

Thanks for any and all help anyone can provide :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=JaydenAsh;2141862]I really want to learn how to burn movies to disk but I have never done it before and I have no idea as to where to even start.

I have a Samsung 20x Double Layer Dual Format DVD Burner
The only blank cd’s I currently have at this time are cd-rw’s.

My first question is can movies be burnt to cd-rw’s?

If so, could you please give this newbie a “detailed” step by step list of what all I need to do to burn movies? Right now I have a few movies on my pc that I would like to burn. The two formats they are in are .avi and MP4.

Thanks for any and all help anyone can provide :)[/QUOTE]

There is ConvertXtoDVD is a good program to convert to dvd format. I think the vso site the has the software convertxtodvd has user help on there that should help you get a head start.

I forget where i first learned of this link (probably here) but there is a Dvd Copy kit that you can DL that has some of the best free programs and a tutorial included. Scroll down the page to find the zip file.

[QUOTE=coolcolors;2141897]There is ConvertXtoDVD is a good program to convert to dvd format. I think the vso site the has the software convertxtodvd has user help on there that should help you get a head start.[/QUOTE]

You can burn movies to CD-Rs and CD-RWs to something that is called VCD, or SVCD.
Video CD, Super Video CD. Quality wont be as good as a dvd as it has to be compressed a bit and an avg movie will take 2 disc. If you want quality similar to dvd you will have to burn 4 disc for every movie. A bit of a waste knowing that DVD disc are almost the same price as CD disc now. Nero Vision lets you burn these type of disc. I don’t think convertXtoDVD does.

Your DVD player or appliance has to say VCD/SVCD on the front to be able to play these disc.

I agree ConvertXtoDVD is probably one of the easiest program to burn DVD’s. In addition to that I believe it has a better file compatibility than Nero Vision at the moment. With support for dual audio video files. You can also make simple menus.

There is another thing you should look into. Where are you going to be playing your DVD’s? The reason I ask because you have to be careful what kind of disc you buy. Try to avoid DVD-RW if you want to burn a disc compatible with most appliances. DVD-R has been the best for me. DVD+R is probably a bit worst with compatibility.

Keep in mind encoding a dvd on an avg system takes around an hour. Don’t plan on leaving with a burn in 4-6min.

Thanks for all the feedback. I will check out the sites you all listed as well as the products you mentioned. :slight_smile:

why don’t you just make it really quick by getting Any video converter! and convert the MP4 to mpg or avi and burn as a data disc! Its great for me! http://www.softpedia.com/get/Multimedia/Video/Encoders-Converter-DIVX-Related/Any-Video-Converter-Freeware.shtml