New to burning DVD - media question

vbimport

Hi - thanks for your patience here!

I’ve never burned a DVD before (existing movie to a backup disk). I downloaded AnyDVD/Clone DVD and was all ready to write them when I realized that the disks I have are not big enough.

This is for backup purposes, as I stated, so it’s not important for me to have top of the line media, but I do want a decent playback.

My computer is supposed to be able to burn double layers (whatever that means).

What media should I start to look for? If anyone can point me in a general direction, I would sincerely appreciate it!

Robin

Robin,

I’m a newbie myself, so this will just be a quick and very basic “how to”…

I’ve used the same software combination myself (Any/Clone) with excellent results…it is very easy to use and in general you’ll have no problems creating backups of your DVDs…

Now, on the specific question you are asking…the problem you are facing is that most commercial DVDs nowadays are in a format called DVD9, which means that they have a 9Gigs capacity (for about 4 hrs of video) to fit all the extras, etc. They achieve this by putting 2 layers of information on the same disk. Most common blank DVDs only have about half of the capacity because they only have one layer (a format called DVD5)

So, you can do several things:

1. Buy double layer media (DVD9) which is now easily available at most electronics stores (Best Buy, etc) to creat perfect copies of your CDs. The only cons is that this media is still relatively expensive. I would recommend this if the extra features on the DVDs are really important to you.

2. You can “split” the content of your DVD9 into two DVD5s. Clone can do this for you. This option is probably cheaper that the previous one, but is not as convenient (you’ll have to swap disks in the middle of the movie)

3. If you don’t care about extra features and don’t mind sacrificing a little bit of quality (and I really mean only a little bit) you can ask Clone to only back up the movie without the extras and perhaps “compress” it a little bit. This way the movie will fit into a cheaper DVD5.

For reference, I usually do (3).

In terms of media, most people around here agree that you should “invest” in good media to avoid creating “coasters”. Some brands recomended here: Taiyo, Verbatim, TDK. You can do a quick search and find what people prefer…I myself like TDK for quality vs. price…

Hope this helps…

Cheers,
Fede

If you want Double Layer media for creating 1:1 backups then always go for Verbatim discs.

If you want to go for the cheaper Single Layer option then you’re going to need an app such as DVD Shrink to shrink your original DVD so that it can fit onto Single Layer media.

Thanks for the tips. Hubby brought home some Maxell DVD-R (4/7gb/120 min sp mode) {no clue what you actually need here info wise}.

Recorded just the movie (no trailers etc) and it’s horrible when I try to view it. It keeps stopping for a moment or skipping etc. I’m only 10 minutes into watching the movie and it’s a mess.

Should I burn it at a slower speed OR … ???

Thanks for the information on disks. When I go out, I’ll look for the ones you have mentioned. But, surely, a different brand disk isn’t going to make the show THAT bad, is it?

Put one of the Maxell DVD-R disc’s in you’re DVD writer, open up Nero CD-DVD Speed (www.cdspeed2000.com), and make sure that in the drop down box in the top of CD-DVD Speed you’re DVD writer is selected. Then, click on the Disc Info tab. The MID of the disc and the name of you’re DVD writer and it’s firmware is what we need, as can be seen in the screenshot below where the MID is RITEK P16 and the drive in the drop-down box is LiteOn LH-18A1P GLOF (where GLOF is the firmware used on the drive). I suggest using a screenshot like the one attached.

Welcome to CDFreaks :slight_smile:

well, let’s see if this works… (sorry if it comes out all strange)

<FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>
<TABLE cellpadding=‘0’ cellspacing=‘0’>
<TR><TD><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’>Nero CD-DVD Speed: Disc Info</FONT></B></TD><TD></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Basic Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc type:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD-R</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Book Type</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> DVD-R</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Manufacturer:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> CMC</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> MID</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> CMC MAG. AE1</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Write speeds:</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 2.4 X - 4 X - 8 X</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Blank Capacity</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 4.38 GB</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 4489 MB</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 4707321856 bytes</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Extended Information</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Layers</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> 1</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Usage</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> General</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Copyright protection</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> n/a</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Recorder information</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Disc Status</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Empty</FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><B><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’ color=’#FFFFFF’> Raw Data</FONT></B></TD><TD bgcolor=’#505050’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
<TR><TD bgcolor=’#E0E0E0’><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> Pre-recorded Information in Lead-in (0Eh)</FONT></TD><TD><FONT face=‘arial’ size=’-1’> </FONT></TD></TR>
</TABLE>
</FONT>
<PRE>
0000 - 01 40 C1 FD 9E D8 52 00 02 55 0D 0E 88 9A 80 00 - .@…R…U…
0010 - 03 43 4D 43 20 4D 41 00 04 47 2E 20 41 45 31 00 - .CMC.MA…G…AE1.
0020 - 05 88 80 00 00 00 02 00 00 00 00 00 10 00 00 00 - …
0030 - 00 00 00 00 28 19 11 00 01 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 - …(…
0040 - BA C1 3D 77 BC 10 11 00 28 19 11 00 E8 11 11 00 - …=w…(…
0050 - 67 04 D7 77 30 88 D4 77 FF FF FF FF 4C 55 00 00 - g…w0…w…LU…
0060 - 38 11 11 00 34 87 D4 77 E8 06 09 00 76 04 00 00 - 8…4…w…v…
</PRE>

I just noticed it didn’t show the info in the drop down box it says:

Philips DVD±RW DVD 8801 4d28

ok - I feel like I’m talking to myself here… LOL

playing the same disk in my computer and it’s fine. why would it be fine in the computer and a total mess in the regular DVD player? (I don’t have problems with any other premade DVD’s in the regular player)

I’ve used CloneDVD many times to backup only the movie, shrinking it into one single layer DVD. Some people here like DVDShrink (I used to like it a lot in the past), but if you already have CloneDVD, you don’t really need anything else. What’s more, Clone allows you to keep the menu structure, something that Shrink doesn’t. You can see a really long list of posts discussing which one is better…

Regarding bad quality, I’ll leave that issue to the experts, but what I can tell you is that ripping the DVD and compressing it shouldn’t result in substantial loss in quality and definitely shouldn’t give you those problems, so my guess is that you may have some hardware/firmware issues or just bad luck with your media, or just need to slow down the burning a little bit.

By any chance…are you attaching any type of paper label to the DVD?

Good luck,
Federico

How old is your DVD? some old DVD have some compatibility issues with newer media (or with the type of media, e.g. DVD+R) or just don’t like home-made DVDs… for example I have an old Hitachi DVD that has a lot of trouble reading some of my backups, but my newer Sony and Samsung players have absolutely no issues…

Hope I’m making sense…
Fede

Thanks for your input.

I did not put anything on the disk (labelwise etc)

The dvd-r disks are brand new.

The Cars movie has been played quite a bit.

OK…after reading my own post I realized I was not clear…What I meant is to ask how old your stand alone DVD player is… some old players have trouble reading DVD-Rs. For example, my old Hitachi player has a lot of trouble reading DVD-R even if the media is high quality or new.

Hello Robin
There are a lot of threads here similar to yours. I’d recommend you spend some time reading them so you can save time (money and headaches) later.
Some of the things you’ll learn is that that particular MID (CMC AE1) is not the best for all burners/players; burning speed impacts the “playability” of your dvd; how to update your burner’s firmware; how to post a log; how to choose better media (verbatim are on sale at Microcenter and will be on sale at BestBuy starting Sunday).
There is a lot of expert peope here (DrageMester, Arachne, Chewey, Scoobiedoobie, Lighting UK, and more) if you check their posts you’ll learn a lot.
A good burn is the result of a lot of factors, media is one of them. I’d recommend verbatim or media made in Japan.

if you buy a dvd+R DL disc with 8.5 gb/go data which can fit 240min of video on you should hav no probs and wont loose any quality hope that helps

I doubt the media is to blame (CMC AE1 is good media in most newer burners, some older burners with poor firmware may have issues), it could be a picky player or a marginal burn. Burn quality can vary depending on the media, burner, and its firmware. You mention that your burner is a Philips 8801, which is a rebadged Benq, some of the best burners around actually. I’m not sure what the equivalent Benq model would be (1650 maybe?), but if it can be crossflashed to a Benq’s firmware it would help performance, and CMC AE1 should burn very well (though I suspect it’s burning fine with the current setup). I’m guessing it’s more likely to be a picky player more than anything else, one of my players skips/stutters with basically any -R media, even great burn quality, but has no problems with +R. Some players are just the opposite and do better with -R, so it varies.

P.S. - just checked and the 8801 is a Benq 1650 and it’s an easy crossflash to 1650 firmware. To crossflash, download the program BQFlasher and use it to flash a 1650 firmware to your 8801. It will improve the performance and add a lot of additional features that are available for Benq drives. The latest firmware for the 1650 is BCIC.

Wow - thanks folks! You guys know so much! A lot of what you’re saying is going over my head right now (I have a cold in addition to this all being new to me) but I did take the disk and put it in another dvd player (a Mustek FREEBIE from Comcast cable) and it worked. Our other player is one of the first DVD/VCR combos that Samsung made, but I never thought of it as old. LOL

Nice to hear Dell put in a decent burner! Thanks for checking on that scoobiedoobie.

I had some disks I’d borrowed from a friend previously that they had burned and I learned then that my dvd player didn’t work with +r only -r.

My player that’s picky with -R, whether it be great -R discs or poor ones, is also an older Samsung. So I’d say it’s that much more likely that it’s just a picky player.

As I said above, if you crossflash your drive it will help a lot, Benq firmware offers a lot of advantages (bitsetting, SolidBurn, overspeeding of media, faster read speeds, advanced testing of your discs for their burn quality, etc). One of the things that you’ll be able to do is ‘bitset’ +R discs, in simple terms bitsetting allows you to burn +R discs in a way that players are tricked into seeing them as pressed, commercial DVD-ROM discs. This increases the likelyhood of proper playback of +R discs on standalone players. -R media cannot be bitset. If you decide to crossflash, just look in the Benq burner forum and search for the main BQFlasher thread.