New TDK technology allows 2 Terrabyte platters - in 2014

vbimport

I just posted the article New TDK technology allows 2 Terrabyte platters - in 2014.

TDK has issued a press release in which it announces that due to a breakthrough of their R&D department the capacity of hard disk platters can be increased.

Click to read the full article here: [http://www.myce.com/news/new-tdk-technology-allows-2-terrabyte-platters-in-2014-64113/](http://www.myce.com/news/new-tdk-technology-allows-2-terrabyte-platters-in-2014-64113/)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

I hope Stormy’s got the helium tanks ready for these 7-platter HDDs, too. Tethered to the Japanese 57km petabit cables, I can see we’ll need to raise the roof a bit.

I’m curious to see how many years it takes for NAND flash storage to catch up on price.

As for as storage density goes, flash is way ahead. For example, it’s possible to fit 6 x 6 x 6 (=216) MicroSD cards within the physical size of a 2.5" 7mm HDD. 64GB MicroSD cards are already on the market, so 216 of these would give 13.5TB.

As for standard 3.5" form-factor, 9 x 9 x 25 (=2025) MicroSD cards would fit, giving a potential capacity of 126.5TB. :cool:

Just in time for Quad HD rips.

[QUOTE=Seán;2657463]…giving a potential capacity of 126.5TB. :cool:[/QUOTE]
NOW you’re talking-!! Heck, 126.5tb? Heck, Stormy wouldn’t need to send me a baker’s dozen. I’d really only need 4. Well, 5 - four for the RAID system, and 1 cold unit just in case for replacement.

How long would it take to rebuild a RAID5 of 380tb, I wonder? I hope the Mayan Calendar didn’t already answer that question…

Why will it take until 2014 to get these drives from R&D to factory production?!? What are hard drive companies going to do until then!?!? Find NEW ways to jack up the prices for existing OLD hard drives!?!?

I know sofar the trends are heading downward… but do you really expect these companies to play nice for another whole year… I sure hope they jump right to 8tb hard drives… skip 5-6-7… we’ve waited FAR too long for HAMR to be pratical…

[QUOTE=Seán;2657463]As for as storage density goes, flash is way ahead. For example, it’s possible to fit 6 x 6 x 6 (=216) MicroSD cards within the physical size of a 2.5" 7mm HDD. 64GB MicroSD cards are already on the market, so 216 of these would give 13.5TB.

As for standard 3.5" form-factor, 9 x 9 x 25 (=2025) MicroSD cards would fit, giving a potential capacity of 126.5TB. :cool:[/QUOTE]

Uh, I doubt that’s possible in a real world SSD right now given the number of other factors to consider. You forget the need of a PCB to link all those chips together, a controller, interface (I/O) ports, and the quality of the NAND flash used (SD card NAND is rather cheap and doesn’t offer the same reliability or speed of MLC NAND flash used in today’s SSDs).

As for the TDK 2 TB platters, nice. It might mean 4 TB to 8 TB HDDs will be available to purchase in a next few years? Given most high density HDDs consist of 2-3 platters, this would mean a 4 TB HDD (2 platter) or even a 8 TB HDD (4 platters).