New TDK Indi 8x+/8x-

Is this thing out yet? I didn’t know the - format was ready for 8x yet.

Is this drive an 8x+/4x- with upgraded firmware?

If so, can the Plex 708A be upgraded, since it is the same drive?

The TDK 880N is a rebadged NEC ND-2500A and the TDK 840G is a rebadged Plextor PX-708A.

Hi.

Is it for sure, that TDK 880N is rebagged NEC 2500a? Will firmwares designed for NEC work with TDK? And why TDK has different speed while writing RW than NEC?

I planned to buy a NEC drive, but I can’t find any to buy where I live, I found only TDK 880 and I would like to know if this drive has the same writing quality and other advantages from NEC 2500. And does it have riping speed limit, like NEC do? And if so, is it possible to switch it off with NEC’s firmware I found somewhere in this forum (disables ripspeed limit and makes it region free).

Thanks.

Originally posted by Tanisek
[B]Hi.

Is it for sure, that TDK 880N is rebagged NEC 2500a? Will firmwares designed for NEC work with TDK? And why TDK has different speed while writing RW than NEC?

I planned to buy a NEC drive, but I can’t find any to buy where I live, I found only TDK 880 and I would like to know if this drive has the same writing quality and other advantages from NEC 2500. And does it have riping speed limit, like NEC do? And if so, is it possible to switch it off with NEC’s firmware I found somewhere in this forum (disables ripspeed limit and makes it region free).

Thanks. [/B]

As a owner of 880N I can say that this drive is really based on NEC 2500A. I don’t know if they are compatible on FW level but FWs look very similar. And yes - TDK drive is as good in writing as NEC.

BTW there is FW for TDK with riplock removed (normally it has x5 riplock like NEC drives) and with RPC1. I’m testing it right now and so far it works 100% OK. :slight_smile: And probably Herrie will release it officially on his website shortly.

The patch is by The Dangerous Brothers, not Herrie. It is available for download here: http://tdb.rpc1.org/#TDK880N

I have already bought that drive :wink:

So far I’m very pleased.
I asked in TDK support about this drive and NEC, and they said, that
some parts of TDK are from NEC, but it has some additional parts, which helps this drive to be quiet, and prevents shaking of not perfect dvds. (this drive IS almost noisless)

When I asked about FW from NEC, they said it shoul work, but the drive won’t be able to use additional mechanisms.

About riplock speed, they said, that it can be switched off from good ripping programs - it’s not a lock, but it’s error correction system (they called it 2D), and it helps reading scratched discs. So he said it’s useful witch scrached discs, when other drives won’t read them properly, and can be switched off while working with good discs.

I haven’t checked this information, I repeat what I’ve heard from TDK support :slight_smile:

T.

Originally posted by Tanisek
[B]I have already bought that drive :wink:

So far I’m very pleased.
I asked in TDK support about this drive and NEC, and they said, that
some parts of TDK are from NEC, but it has some additional parts, which helps this drive to be quiet, and prevents shaking of not perfect dvds. (this drive IS almost noisless)

When I asked about FW from NEC, they said it shoul work, but the drive won’t be able to use additional mechanisms.

About riplock speed, they said, that it can be switched off from good ripping programs - it’s not a lock, but it’s error correction system (they called it 2D), and it helps reading scratched discs. So he said it’s useful witch scrached discs, when other drives won’t read them properly, and can be switched off while working with good discs.

I haven’t checked this information, I repeat what I’ve heard from TDK support :slight_smile:

T. [/B]

Man, I’d call bullsh$$ on that quote. Not on you, but on TDK.

The NEC 2500A OEM bare drive is WHISPER QUIET. I can’t hear mine above the fans in my computer when it’s in operation.

All of the above sounds like PR that they can tell the unwashed to sell someone else’s drive bundled with software, for $80+ more than the OEM version of it. As for the rip speed, I suppose it’s possible --I haven’t attempted to use my NEC as a reader, just a recorder (I have a reader for playback). Best option is to have someone test their NEC drive first with the standard firmware, and then with the Dangerous Bros. modded copy to see if reading is any worse with the modded firmware.