New SSD Problem

vbimport

Hello,

I received my new SSD drive Crucial M4 128gb. I hooked it up and went to install windows 7 and it would not install with AHCI on. I went to IDE to install windows and the tried to install the IRST driver is comes up with an error “This computer does not meet the minimum requirments for installing the software” I tried to change the BIOS to AHCI and windows bsod. Any ideas. The drive works fine in IDE but I burn blu-ray and need AHCI.

Thanks,

Make sure the BIOS is set for IDE, then boot back to Windows.

Run this script from Microsoft by clicking the “fix it” link.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Re-Start and enter the BIOS.
Change the setting in the BIOS to AHCI, save the BIOS and re-start
Once restarted Windows may install the default AHCI drivers, you can then install the Intel RST drivers.

[QUOTE=Dee;2634718]Make sure the BIOS is set for IDE, then boot back to Windows.

Run this script from Microsoft by clicking the “fix it” link.
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/922976

Re-Start and enter the BIOS.
Change the setting in the BIOS to AHCI, save the BIOS and re-start
Once restarted Windows may install the default AHCI drivers, you can then install the Intel RST drivers.[/QUOTE]
You consistantly amaze me with your knowledge and how fix problems. This is one I would have told the poor member to reinstall his OS, now I know better. I really thought that you had to install the OS in ACHI MOde for the IRST driver to work. I had no idea of the fix you just taught me. Thank you.

Yo-

With all of my SSD drives (4) - I set them up in IDE mode using Acronis True Image with the old OS hard drive on a external usb drive dock and the new SSD installed as the ‘0’ internal drive. After the cloning was complete and the drive proven with a restart - I rebooted and changed the bios to the AHCI setting and rebooting again.

I updated the firmware and then went into regedit and changed a 3 to 0. it worked. so this morning I pull the PC out and pulled everything but SSD and DVD drive. install windows in AHCI and wow 15 min I am installing drivers. I was up till 3 am trying to figure this out. I think the firmware it shipped with did not like AHCI. I like the SSD so far it’s fast :slight_smile:

Thanks guys

[QUOTE=mrloren;2634763]I updated the firmware and then went into regedit and changed a 3 to 0. it worked. so this morning I pull the PC out and pulled everything but SSD and DVD drive. install windows in AHCI and wow 15 min I am installing drivers. I was up till 3 am trying to figure this out. I think the firmware it shipped with did not like AHCI. I like the SSD so far it’s fast :slight_smile:

Thanks guys[/QUOTE] I would have done the same thing until I read Wendys post. A clean install is good sometimes. :wink:

I did do a fresh install of win7, just had to get F6 drivers after the firmware update. WOW this is fast

[QUOTE=mrloren;2634806]I did do a fresh install of win7, just had to get F6 drivers after the firmware update. WOW this is fast[/QUOTE]

Once you use an SSD you cant go back to a spinner for your OS drive. :wink: