New speed record, shame it didn't work

vbimport

Just recieved this error in nero. I enabled Overspeed for a disc copy and forgot to change the speed before clicking burn (usually burns at 4x no matter what speed I choose). How long will a DVD take if the speed held…

Usually it takes approx 6 or little less minutes for writer to write a 4.48GB of data on the disc @16X and between 6-7 minutes for 12x, 8-9 minutes for 8x and 14-16 minutes for 4x speed.

but how long at 1.55615e+006x (2,147,483,647 KB/s) speed as listed in nero?

Heh, that’s a result of a bug in Nero, I hope you understand that. :wink:

2,147,483,647 KB/s is about 2TB/s. The approx time to burn a ful DVD at that speed is 0,002 seconds. Pretty fast I must say. :eek: :bigsmile:

Try again qwakrz! :bigsmile:

Its the dream of writing a DVD that fast that I will hold onto. Who here would love for a DVD to be written in less time than it takes a DVD drive to close, but I dare say the error rate will be a tad high. :bigsmile:

Yes, I know its a bug but it seems silly that nero allowed a speed that high to be entered into the writing engine and not limit it to, say, 32x to avoid that massive error, I also cant work out how that value got entered into the engine either.

Oh well, maybe BR or HDDVD may one day get close to that speed, at least nero will be able to handle it.

looks like maybe 2^31 KiB/s, I’m guessing that’s where it came from. I’m assuming nero internally measures in KiB/s, and then converts it to a “X” rating.

seeker010, there is no standardized unit like “KiB/s”. The unit I know about is; kB (kiloByte), or kB/s (kiloByte per second).

Although, I agree on your theory and calculation. :wink:

Did you know that that Kibi, Mebi, Gibi, Tebi, Pebi, Exbi, Zebi, and Yobi binary prefixes have been adopted by IEC, IEEE as well as some other standards organizations?

Although they are not in wide use (yet), they must be considered standardized units. Just because not everyone in the world uses inches, feet, yards and miles doesn’t mean that they are not standardized units - they are just not the only standardized units!

I rarely use these binary prefixes myself, but after endless debates and posts about how much is a Gigabyte, and why can I only fit 4.38 GByte on my DVD when the packaging clearly states 4.7 GB, I’m coming around to thinking that maybe we should use the binary prefixes and units explicitly - e.g. the capacity of a DVD is 4.38 GiB.

thanks dragemaster. :iagree:

Yup. Reposting my link if you missed it above…

My prefix (standard) will still be a single letter, no matter you like it or not. :bigsmile:

but that’s not standard :disagree: