New Sony Computer

vbimport

The following is what I am thinking of buying, is this the best for copying DVDs or should it have something else.

Multimedia muscle for your next-generation A/V entertainment demands. The VAIO® RA840G Digital Studioâ„¢ PC is the ultimate in multimedia desktop computing. Edit high-definition camcorder video. Master your own music recordings. Turn your home movies into high-quality DVDs. You have the power with an Intel® Dual-Core Processor, Serial ATA hard drives in RAID 0 configuration (optional on model RA840G), a DVD+R Double Layer/DVD±RW drive, and PCI Express 16x graphics. Plus, there’s room to expand with capacity for multiple drives. No matter how demanding the tasks, the VAIO® RA840G Desktop remains cool and quiet with Sony’s innovative liquid cooling system and advanced noise-reduction technology. Powerful. Empowering. The ultimate in multimedia desktop computing.

that pc really suck for gaming the cpu aint good enough for it amd athlon64 cpus are much better with gaming and the graphic card is highly weak as for the dvd question that cant be answerd as sony dont specify what dvd burner it have anyway i dont think there is “best” in that area many dvd burners are fine with copying dvds what really counts is the software , for what purposes the new pc will be used? you likely can get better pc at 1500$ at least for gaming , anyway that sony pc is fine as long as you aint a gamer
but i wouldnt buy it just like that without knowing what dvd burner exactly it have

WHAAAAAAAT?

A dual-core P4 is “weak”?

ARE YOU HIGH ON CRACK?

An Athlon64 is absolutely going to be faster for gaming, but a dual-core p4 is FAR from “weak”.

As for graphics, we have no way of knowing if he’s got integrated or if it’s something from nVidia. It’s 16x PCI-X… I’m not even sure if there IS an integrated 16x solution. My guess is that system is just fine.

Would I buy it? No, I’d build my own. But if someone is a newb and can’t build their own, that’s not a bad system… and if the video isn’t up to par he can add a nice nVidia or ATI card after the fact.

i didnt called it weak get your eyes checked i called the graphic card weak i just said its not the greatest cpu for gaming

http://www.sonystyle.ca/commerce/servlet/ProductDetailDisplay?storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&langId=-1&productId=1001578
click on “specifications” the gfx is x300 and its highly weak for gaming

The grapgic card it comes with is an
NVIDIA GeForce 6600GT (256MB) is this good? I also got the Raid 0 option with 2x250 gig hard drives.

I s it true that the xp media center operating system is based on XP Pro?

6600gt is preety good but there are better anyway are you sure it comes with 6600gt? from some reason on sony’s site it states x300 , intel still isnt the greatest choice for gaming but it does have advantages in video/audio encoding over athlon 64, i dont have expirence with raid but ive read that if one of the hard drives fail all data is lost regardless to the condition of the other hard drive,its true that winmce2k5 is based on xp pro

Sure. But compared to other solutions like LinVDR MCE is crap. xp is crap too. It has no positive point against w2k or w2003.
xp stands for eXPerimental IMO and is a mainstream crapped OS for visual satisfaction. :smiley:

I am not buying it from SonyStyle. This is the link at Ebay. It comes with a 19 LCD monitor.http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=5215251953&category=52477&ssPageName=WD1V&rd=1

“Inconsistent screen brightness; glossy finish creates potential glare issues; loss of detail in saturated colors; lacks height adjustment; pricey.”

anyway thats preety expensive,what are you gonna use the new pc for? maybe you can settle for a much cheaper solution

I want the ulimate media center PC, the best burning hardware (I already have two Nec drives) I mean the PCI Express and UDMA4.

Blah blah “must have 5 more fps” blah.

I hate it when people get like this.

I run an AthlonXP Mobile 2500+ @ 3200+ with a Radeon 9600 Pro. My machine screams along with games. It’s just fine. Everything over 60fps is wasted anyway. :wink:

“screams along with games” that basicly depends on the games radeon 9600 pro isnt that great its a fine card for some games but not heavy ones

alan1476 bout that question in your post edit reason,this is what i would get (didnt include optical drives since you alredy got 4 of em…)
powerful cpu ,best graphic card & superb overclocking ram and motherboard & high quality psu & very good cpu cooling and its preety quiet too

DFI LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR Socket 939 NVIDIA nForce4 SLI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
Model #: LANPARTY nF4 SLI-DR
$199.00

AMD Athlon 64 3700+ San Diego 1GHz FSB Socket 939 Processor Model ADA3700BNBOX - Retail
Model #: ADA3700BNBOX
$323.00

Arctic Silver Ceramique Thermal Compound - OEM
Model #: Ceramique
$5.99

THERMALRIGHT XP-90 Heatsink - Retail
Model #: XP-90
$42.99

THERMALTAKE SilentCat 9cm 90mm 1 Ball 1 Sleeve Cooling Fan - Retail
Model #: SilentCat 9cm
$7.49

G.SKILL 1GB (2 x 512MB) 184-Pin DDR SDRAM DDR 400 (PC 3200) Unbuffered Samsung TCCD Dual Channel Kit System Memory Model F1-3200DSU2-1GBLA - Retail
Model #: F1-3200DSU2-1GBLA
$250.15

Western Digital Caviar SE16 WD2500KS 250GB 7200 RPM Serial ATA II Hard Drive - OEM
Model #: WD2500KS
$125.00

NEC Beige 1.44MB 3.5" Floppy Drive - OEM
Model #: FD1231H
$9.50

eVGA 256-P2-N528-AX Geforce 7800GTX 256MB GDDR3 PCI Express x16 Video Card - Retail
Model #: 256-P2-N528-AX
$542.00

Thermaltake Tsunami VA3000SWA Silver Aluminum ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail
Model #: VA3000SWA
$99.00

OCZ OCZ520ADJ ATX 520W Power Supply - Retail
Model #: OCZ520ADJ
$135.00

total $1,739.12 (from newegg)

But no LCD yet. :stuck_out_tongue:

If you want to built your own, first get the Thermaltake Armor VA8000SWA (http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16811133154) plus other components, buy BenQ 1640 and Plextor 716A (for overburning), put those in the case with your 4 other burners and you will get the best for copying DVDs. :slight_smile: Anyway, aren’t your LG and NEC good enough?

If you don’t want to built, I would choose Dell Dimension 9100 with 20" LCD for $800 (http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/features.aspx/outrageous_desktops?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd), and you can customize/add/select Dual Core processor etc etc, until $2000.

rightt i forgot the monitor oops anyway if a monitor is real necessary i would get a damm good crt “mitsubishi diamond pro 930sb” is a great one if you can find it , or this lcd http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824116355
anyway in general lcd are great these days but still aint comparing to crts on gaming,anyway if you plan on keeping the current pc after youll get a new one instead of getting another monitor you can just buy a kvm switch which is preety cheap and use 1 monitor for both pcs

Dell has some amazing deals as oflately, if you don’t or can’t or have nobody to build a PC for you, which is usaually the best option, I would simply go with Dell.

As for DVD copying, no matter what company you go with you would be best to consider swapping out drives for better brands than they will have.

Phil,

Not everyone has a million dollars and/or feels like building their own machine. How hard is that to understand? Some people just want a nice little machine with support and a warranty. My sister-in-law can’t even figure out how to INSTALL an anti-spyware program, much less build a computer. And I don’t want to spend hours providing tech support. So she bought a Sony, and guess what? It’s an AWESOME system. It runs great.

Not everyone has, or needs, the latest-and-greatest most tweakable system. This is a poor newbie and you’re recommending a DFI board?

Everyone hates car analogies, but you’re essentially the gearhead who tells the accountant who just wants a nice sports car to impress his girlfriend that he needs to buy a kit Cobra, put it together himself, and oh by the way the BEST transmission to get is this one where you adjust all the gear ratios by hand! Oh yeah! No, this man hasn’t ever changed his own oil, and he needs a nice little Mustang or BMW or something low-maintenance where the dealership will happily provide all his service.

How hard is that to understand?

Now, as for some of your assertions:

• My Radeon 9600 Pro is fine. There is NO GAME CURRENTLY AVAILABLE that won’t run at acceptable framerates on it. Not a single one. Trust me on this, I’ve tried 'em all. It’s part of my job. Why haven’t I upgraded? Two reasons, and they both have dollar signs attached. Some people have kids, cars, lives, houses, or other things to spend mommy and daddy’s money on.

• You seem to have this nasty habit of popping into a thread that was CLEARLY started by a newbie, someone who just wants to buy a laptop or a prebuilt system, and trashing their hardware choices because they’re not the absolute cream-of-the-crop right now. You know what? A dual-core 3.2Ghz P4 will rock this poor kid’s WORLD. You could show him your uber-DFI system with an Athlon64 FX and this Sony he wants side by side and he’d NEVER be able to tell the difference. You just sound like an ass, trashing people’s hardware and suggesting that they spend more money on something they don’t want or need because you think it’s cooler.

yeah not everyones rich however he can afford it so dont be jelous and by getting a customized pc in 99% of cases you get better parts, regarless to wether hell get a customized pc or not there will still be warrnaty and support and besides if he will get a customized pc and dont know how to get all the parts together he dont have to he can take it to a local pc shop or order a tech or maybe even he knows someone that have expirence with building pcs and there are alot of tutorials available online about that,
awesome and great - is an opinion thing only
everyone is a newbie at first but you live and learn
im sure your radeon 9600 pro is fine - in your opinion anyway
not alot of ppl likes to play with low frames,its a 2.8ghz not 3.2
and regardless to wether he will be happy with it i think its best to get the most out of the money why settle for less when you can get more and i highly doubt hes so “poor” is it just my imagination or your talkin bout yourself on that one? afterall he can afford himself to spend 2000$ on a pc ,it aint an athlon fx its an athlon 64 about the diffrence that is bullshit of course he will be able to tell the difference believe me theres a huge difrence in gaming at least and i dont only think its “cooler” reviews proves me right aswell , anyway i suggest youll keep it polite at first it was “ARE YOU HIGH ON CRACK?” now its “You just sound like an ass” thats just rude

@Zevia: I would love to have a computer that was built just for me. I looked and looked for a computer that had 4 internal optical drive bays, I dont need a floppy. I would also like to have a good controller and video card that can use two monitors so I can cut and paste without opening and closing programs. I have plenty of optical drives so I do not need that. I would also like to have a 250 gig hard drive on one partition. I have read on the Nec forum to stay away from Nvidia video cards because the drivers are troublesome. Is that true. If so, what controller and video card would you recommed? I want to thank Gurm and Phil and you for all this help. I also would like to have a Cpu at about 3.0 or better 2.8 at the least.

[edited]

alan,

I don’t shop custom pc other than Dell so I have little experience in this area, you may want to hear from others. You may also want to review other mfg such as Falcon or Alienware. They don’t offer discount as big as Dell though. I think with your budget of $2000 your best bet is to built your own pc.

As for Dell, they also have XPS Gen 5 with 3 bays for burners.

NVidia video card is fine. The problem with optical drive is if you are using Nvidia base motherboard you need to stay away from Nvidia IDE driver, not the video driver.

A good ATA controller for optical drives is SIIG non-RAID with SiL680 chipset.

Most newer video card has dual output (DVI and VGA) so you can use that for dual monitor setup. I’m currently using ATI 9600XT with dual monitor and it’s fine. I’m not a gamer.