New SH-S223Q won't read/write DVDs

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S223B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve tried everything and looked every where for an answer and I’m stumped. The burner is brand new and SATA. It will read and write a DVD or two then quit, then start to work again. Explorer doesn’t even see a disk in it. The firmware is good, I’ve uninstalled and re-installed, Have the latest drivers (or so windows tells me). If the problem was consistent I would think it was the drive but I’m wondering if it’s not a fouled up system file or registry entry. I have noticed that when a DVD is in the drive and I right click on it and go to the recording tab it’s not listed. I’ve had no trouble with CDs.

I have Vista home basic running on a Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2 with an Intel E4300 processor and 2 GB of RAM.

I replaced a Liteon IDE burner which gave me no trouble until it died.

Hi Boy,
I have experienced the same on the CD ROM of my machine a Fujitsu, and as you I am very disappointed. I sincerely believe that windows and its components have to do with all this mess. At beginning all seams find and unique, but with time as we advance in the use of all the features regarding CD/DVD drives or equipment, the system becomes unstable and fails. You just keep trying to fix it but with no success. You see! you are actually working within the windows.
Windows is “defected’ly” prepared to reject the play of any copy from illegal CDs and DVDs; it also makes the connection through third party software difficult. The result is a confused system that stops recognizing even the legal staff.
Manufacturers benefit from this mess as they can monopolize from the “region” fix affair imposed in windows OS, and so they would not support you within your rights. They would do it as a favor. There is no Globalization in the computer world.

[QUOTE=marlasboy;2285438][qanda]This thread is about the Samsung SH-S223B. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]I’ve tried everything and looked every where for an answer and I’m stumped. The burner is brand new and SATA. It will read and write a DVD or two then quit, then start to work again. Explorer doesn’t even see a disk in it. The firmware is good, I’ve uninstalled and re-installed, Have the latest drivers (or so windows tells me). If the problem was consistent I would think it was the drive but I’m wondering if it’s not a fouled up system file or registry entry. I have noticed that when a DVD is in the drive and I right click on it and go to the recording tab it’s not listed. I’ve had no trouble with CDs.

I have Vista home basic running on a Gigabyte GA-G33M-S2 with an Intel E4300 processor and 2 GB of RAM.

I replaced a Liteon IDE burner which gave me no trouble until it died.[/QUOTE]

bought a SH-S223F on 26th may nd it died on 28th may… burned couple of

dvds nd had similar same problem like u. It wouldnt play or write DVD, wont

recognize blank dvd either. (Stock firmware SB03) april 2009

manufactured. got it replaced instantly. Now im burning the hell out of

it.:bigsmile:

The place I bought it from told me today that it had been discontinued (??). From all of the reviews I read for the money it was one of the best out there. Guess I’ll be looking for something else. Any suggestions in the same price range?

Hi,[QUOTE=marlasboy;2285931]The place I bought it from told me today that it had been discontinued (??).[/quote]Well, there is the 223B out now. Newer, possibly cheaper to produce. Or essential components were no longer available, so they had to make something new. Life cycles of computer components are really short in these days.

From all of the reviews I read for the money it was one of the best out there. Guess I’ll be looking for something else. Any suggestions in the same price range?
Optiarc AD-720xS, AD-724xS (x=0,1 or 3) series or Pioneer 216/217. I guess, you want Sata again.

Michael