I ordered it on Newegg, and suspect I might have to RMA it. However there’s some other funny things going on with my computer and I want to make sure it is not a software problem before I go through the trouble of RMA, only to have the replacement work no better.
The drive is recognized in the BIOS, and was installed successfully by windows, but when I put any kind of optical media in, the light not the front jsut blinks for a couple minutes before stopping. I’ve tried a blank DVD-R, a commercially pressed DVD, a commercially pressed in the preDRM 1980s CD, and last but not least, my Windows XP install disc. Nothing. Won;t even boot from the Windows CD.
Couple things I did to try and remedy the situation:
Updated to latest version of nForce 4 chipset.
Uninstalled Nero, reboot, uninstall Optical Drives, reboot.
Windows XP Pro
AMD Opteron 185
Gigabyte GA-K8N SLi
GeFroce 6800GS (PNY Factory overclock)
2GB RAM (Kingston)
250GB SATA 3.0 Gb/s Hard Drive
The drive in question is listed as TSSTcorp CDDVDW Sh-S203B in the device manager. I assume this is because it is OEM from newEgg.
I have not flashed the firmware because I am worried this might affect my ability to RMA the drive.
I do have both magic ISO and Power ISO installed, if that matters.
My SH-203B is hooked up with a Molex-SATA converter
My computer has been hiccuping these last couple of weeks ever since
My old NEC burner stopped reading and writing CDs Mid-January just after a WoW installation. (Hence the new drive purchase.) It still reads DVDs, but it was unable to finish, and gave an error, last time I tried to use Nero CD speed to check disc quality.
My System has been hiccuping ever since Kaspersky caught and removed a trojan last week (backdoor.win32.elw). By hiccuping I mean sporadically freezing for 2 seconds, then going on it’s merry way. I’ve done Spybot, Ad-Aware, and kaspersky full system scans but haven’t turned up anything past that initial trojan (and it’s renamed .bak friend, and it’s cousin hiding in system restore under a funny name.) I suspect my windows installation might have become corrupted from this. I also would not be surprised if the trojan was a false positive. It came up and was removed upon my rebooting windows in Japan code page. (Have since switched back to US-English code page.) I would not be surprised if it was a false positive.