New SH-S182D not reading burned DVD's "HELP"

This burner was bought as a “MAD DOG” MegaSTORE MD-18XTFI. It shows up in device mgr. as “TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182D” This drive will not read any burned DVD’s at all but will read all factory DVD’s

I’ve tried reading the burned DVD’s with DVD Decrytper and DVD Shrink along with several software DVD players, all show a error saying that the “disc is empty” All the burned DVD’s I tried in this drive play without any problems on 2 other computers and a home player. I even burned a DVD (Matrix) using this burner and it too will not play/read on this drive but works ok in everything else.

This is the 2nd unit with the same problem. I have flashed the firmware 2 times on this unit from SH-S182D_SB00 to SH-S182D_SB05 found on the Mad Dog site and then from SH-S182D_SB05 to SH-S182D_SB06, the lastest I have found on Samsung’s site.

Ok this is getting really odd! I broke down and installed this unit into another computer and it did read and play burned DVD’s. The reason I did this is because it just didn’t feel like the drive itself was the problem, if ya know what I mean.

If this was a I/O problem why does it only not play/read burned DVD’s and read/play all others? I am very confused and lost at this point!

I have reinstalled the IDE drivers, changed the cable and the IDE channel and even cked the power supply. There has got to be something simple here that I am missing. I even did a system restore dating back 2 months and that had no effect so I undid the restore.

With a burned DVD in the drive Nero Info Tool reports…

general
type: Blank DVD-R
Capacity n/a

Extended Information
Layers 1
supported speeds 16.0X-12.0X-8.0X-4.0X
Blank Capacity 4.38 GB
Manufacturer ID CMC MAG.AM3
Copy Protection NA

Content
File System(s)
Title n/a
Date n/a
Publisher n/a
Application n/a

I just don’t know what to look for now.

I would have never known this if my grand doughter didn’t break one of my back-ups.

I am on a Windows puter, XP pro SP2 and everything is up to date.

If there’s any info you need me to supply to help you help me just let me know

Maybe this posting may solve your problem since you have problems with DVD-R

http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s182d-dvd-r-lead-217594/

This posting should be pinned IMO… :iagree:

[QUOTE=TM;1931241]Maybe this posting may solve your problem since you have problems with DVD-R
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f105/sh-s182d-dvd-r-lead-217594/
This posting should be pinned IMO… :iagree:[/QUOTE]There is a reference to that thread in the FAQ, which is of course pinned :wink:

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;1931294]There is a reference to that thread in the FAQ, which is of course pinned :wink:

Michael[/QUOTE]

Ok in this case I should read the FAQ :o :bow:

Thanks TM. I have read all 10 pages in that thread and found others with somewhat the same issue but no real answers. Nothing solid! One of the reasons is that the last post in that thread is around 3 months old and the last 2 pages were sort of nothing pages with moderators bickering. I didn’t count how many posts Chef made in that thread but he/she said nothing at all to help, I only see the posts added by him/her to pad the “post count”. (please do not take that as a flame)

I posted my problem here in hopes of finding someone that knew what the problem was and not all guessing. My hopes are still on the high side but starting to fade.

Thanks again
Tinks

The posts in the last two pages of that thread also mention the two possible solutions that might fix the problem (CDF Edition firmware and/or capacitor resp. better PSU).

If DVD+R don’t work either (you didn’t mention this in your initial post), then your drive is bad. Contact your vendor then.