New SH-202N woes

I got my SH-202N burner from Newegg a few days ago. It already had the latest official firmware, according to the included Live Update utility.

I’m having a few problems with it. First, CD burning with Nero is terribly slow. The device buffer does not fill up past about 30%, and it ends up taking 10 minutes to burn a CD at 48x.

I haven’t burned a full DVD yet but I tried burning a very small one, just a movie trailer (Indy 4!!) converted to DVD. Using ImgBurn, it took about 3.5 minutes to burn this 100MB image.

Also, Lightscribe is being weird. I installed the control software from lightscribe.com, and their Simple Label Maker works fine. But demos of SureThing or Droppix will not burn a Lightscribe label. They give me all the options to do it, so they recognize the device, but when I get it all ready and click “Print” nothing happens–no activity on the Samsung or hard drive, it’s like I just clicked in a blank space. They are demo versions but are supposed to allow printing Lightscribe discs.

BTW, I’m using current HP Lightscribe media, CD-R and DVD+R. Hopefully there’s a fix for this stuff and I won’t have to RMA the drive, any help welcome!!

OK, I got Lightscribe to work, but the other problems persist. It just burns and reads really slowly–even burst mode in EAC won’t read more than 14x. I even tried some alternative firmware, but it’s the same.

106 people have viewed this; nobody has anything to say? I would still appreciate any help very much…thanks

See if your burner is working with DMA on. This problem seems that the drive is in PIO mode.

You are correct sir, my primary IDE channel was in PIO mode. I changed it to DMA and all is well! Thank you!!!

Oh boy…I spoke too soon. It worked right away, and now it stays in PIO mode. My primary IDE channel is set for “Use DMA when possible” but it stays in PIO.

I tried the techniques on this page:

Sniptools

It basically has you delete an entry called “MasterIdDataChecksum” from the registry. I delete the entries and they seem to be gone, but when I restart, the entries are still there and the drive is still stuck in PIO.

So if those entries are indeed the problem, I guess my next challenge is figuring out why they keep coming back and how to be permanently rid of them.

Hi,[quote=slowpogo;2006959]Oh boy…I spoke too soon. It worked right away, and now it stays in PIO mode. My primary IDE channel is set for “Use DMA when possible” but it stays in PIO.

I tried the techniques on this page:

U[/U]

It basically has you delete an entry called “MasterIdDataChecksum” from the registry. [/quote]Try the instructions given here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/
and also read this article: http://winhlp.com/node/10

Perhaps replacing the IDE cable is another idea :wink:

Thanks for those links. I tried everything there, and also updated my bios and tried a different IDE cable…still no luck.

I’ve read that some systems just don’t work well with Samsung. I’m running an aging 478 motherboard, so I wouldn’t doubt that…I will probably have to return it for a Pioneer.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2006976]
Perhaps replacing the IDE cable is another idea ;)[/QUOTE]

Yep I’ll agree with mciahel about replacing the IDE cable. First off is the cable
one that was previously installed or is it a brand new cable? If it is one that was
previously installed then it might only be a 40 pin 40 wire cable the newer 20x drives
usually need 40 pin 80 wire cables to operate at full speed and in UDMA mode. :iagree:

The drive was first installed with a brand new 80 pin round cable. I had two of that same cable (Link Depot brand), so I tried the other one earlier…the second one was recently hooked up to my two hard drives, and they seemed to work fine. But it produced the same old story on the Samsung.

[QUOTE=slowpogo;2007207]The drive was first installed with a brand new 80 pin round cable. I had two of that same cable (Link Depot brand), so I tried the other one earlier…the second one was recently hooked up to my two hard drives, and they seemed to work fine. But it produced the same old story on the Samsung.[/QUOTE]

Sorry to hear that it didn’t help maybe your mobo just doesn’t like the Samsung drive all that much :doh:
Have you ever thought about adding an Sil chipset SATA card in and going with an SATA burner so
that way UDMA isn’t involved and you don’t have to worry about it going into or being in PIO mode
ever again. :wink:

Hi,[quote=slowpogo;2007207]The drive was first installed with a brand new 80 pin round cable. I had two of that same cable (Link Depot brand), so I tried the other one earlier…the second one was recently hooked up to my two hard drives, and they seemed to work fine. But it produced the same old story on the Samsung.[/quote]Please try an 80wired flat ribbon cable (18"/46cm). Anything else is beyond the specs. You might also try a 40wired since most Samsung PATA drives are UDMA 33 only.

Michael

My 202n is ultra dma 4.

[quote=pfloyd1;2018790]My 202n is ultra dma 4.[/quote]Thanks for clarification :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=mciahel;2006976]Hi,Try the instructions given here:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/
and also read this article: http://winhlp.com/node/10

Perhaps replacing the IDE cable is another idea ;)[/QUOTE]
I tried this link for setting DMA/PIO but I don’t have the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab. I am on Windows XP, how can I check what mode my DVD-R drive is in? I have both my DVD-R and DVD-ROM drive on the Primary IDE Channel. My DVD-ROM drive is attached to the middle connection of the IDE cable with ‘slave’ jumper setting and the DVD-R with ‘master’ jumper setting. Here is what mine looks like, why is the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab missing?

[QUOTE=alfun;2479339]I tried this link for setting DMA/PIO but I don’t have the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab. I am on Windows XP, how can I check what mode my DVD-R drive is in? [/quote]The check and the article mentioned is valid for systems that are using MS default drivers.

Are you haveing any problems with your drives?

I have both my DVD-R and DVD-ROM drive on the Primary IDE Channel. My DVD-ROM drive is attached to the middle connection of the IDE cable with ‘slave’ jumper setting and the DVD-R with ‘master’ jumper setting.
That’s okay. You’re using an 80wire, 46cm (18in) flat ribbon cable?

Here is what mine looks like, why is the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab missing?
Seems as if you have installed manufacturer drivers, “Intel Application Accelerator” or something like that. Check the “driver” tab.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2479452]Are you haveing any problems with your drives?[/QUOTE]
Yes, my DVD-R drive tray opens at random times and sometimes will not close. Also sometimes it’ll make sounds like a disc is being read at random times, but there is no disc inside. I’ve searched around and someone said I should unplug the ribbon cable but leave the power cable plugged in and start up my computer. If the tray still opens then it is a hardware problem. Does this sound correct? My DVD-R isn’t that old and have only burned about 50 disc’s. A few times when the disc is completed burning it writes the “Lead out or whatever its called” but the tray opens while its writing the “Lead out” and the burning process is messed up. After the tray opens during this time it’ll make sounds like it is still trying to do the “Lead out” process.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2479452]That’s okay. You’re using an 80wire, 46cm (18in) flat ribbon cable?[/QUOTE]
Yes.

[QUOTE=mciahel;2479452]Seems as if you have installed manufacturer drivers, “Intel Application Accelerator” or something like that. Check the “driver” tab.[/QUOTE]
Yes I installed these drivers that came with my motherboard. So if I don’t use the default drivers then I can’t get to the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab?

Hi,[QUOTE=alfun;2487324]Yes, my DVD-R drive tray opens at random times and sometimes will not close. Also sometimes it’ll make sounds like a disc is being read at random times, but there is no disc inside.[/quote]Sounds like some problem with your hardware.

I’ve searched around and someone said I should unplug the ribbon cable but leave the power cable plugged in and start up my computer. If the tray still opens then it is a hardware problem. Does this sound correct?
You can try that. Or - if you have a second optical drive installed, then you may try a Linux Live CD (You can also run a Live Linux system off an USB stick if your computer supports booting from USB devices).
Another option would be to try the drive in another computer.

My DVD-R isn’t that old and have only burned about 50 disc’s. A few times when the disc is completed burning it writes the “Lead out or whatever its called” but the tray opens while its writing the “Lead out” and the burning process is messed up. After the tray opens during this time it’ll make sounds like it is still trying to do the “Lead out” process.
Could also be some malware. So trying a Linux Live system or trying the drive in another computer is recommended.

Yes I installed these drivers that came with my motherboard. So if I don’t use the default drivers then I can’t get to the ‘Advanced Settings’ tab?
Yes, this tab only shows up with Windows default drivers. At the moment I am not sure if these drivers are to be blamed.

Michael

[QUOTE=mciahel;2487394]You can try that. Or - if you have a second optical drive installed, then you may try a Linux Live CD (You can also run a Live Linux system off an USB stick if your computer supports booting from USB devices).
Another option would be to try the drive in another computer.[/QUOTE]
How would Linux Live help me to determine if my drive has a hardware problem?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2487394]Could also be some malware. So trying a Linux Live system or trying the drive in another computer is recommended.[/QUOTE]
Others have mentioned it could be malware also that is causing the tray to keep opening. I have scanned with Spybot - Search & Destroy and found nothing. Is there another malware scan program you would recommend?

[QUOTE=mciahel;2487394]Yes, this tab only shows up with Windows default drivers. At the moment I am not sure if these drivers are to be blamed.[/QUOTE]
Is there another way to check if my drive is in PIO or DMA mode?

[QUOTE=alfun;2487661]How would Linux Live help me to determine if my drive has a hardware problem?[/quote]If the drive works there, then there is something wrong with your Windows installation. If it doesn’t work either, then the hardware is faulty.

Others have mentioned it could be malware also that is causing the tray to keep opening. I have scanned with Spybot - Search & Destroy and found nothing. Is there another malware scan program you would recommend?
If there is malware on your computer, then you can’t trust any “security” software running on the same system.
Some manufacturers of AV software offer Live CDs:
http://www.avira.com/en/support/support_downloads.html
http://devbuilds.kaspersky-labs.com/devbuilds/RescueDisk/ (Kaspersky - no idea how old this is)
http://download.bitdefender.com/rescue_cd/ (Bitdefender)
http://www.f-secure.com/en_EMEA/security/security-lab/tools-and-services/rescue-cd/index.html (F-Secure)
Download the .ISO, burn to CD-R(W) and boot from that. But there is no warranty, it will find all the junk.

Is there another way to check if my drive is in PIO or DMA mode?
Some manufacturer drivers install additional tools. Apart from that, your problem is not related to DMA/PIO issues at all.

Michael