New Setup Fails Cyberlink's Blu-Ray Tester

vbimport

Hello…recently I picked up a PS/3 and I installed a Pioneer 205 BR drive in my PC and am ready to tackle the BR world.

I have yet to pick up a BR disk to test with so I tried the Cyberlink BR Compatibilty test.

I am running an Vista Biz 32 with an Intel DP35 mobo, Nvidia GeForce 8600 GT XXX video board with latest driver and a DVI connection to a Samsung T260HD.

The Cyberlink test says the monitor is digital, but not HDCP compatible.

My video board and monitor are both HDCP compliant and all the other BR tests passed other than the P-I-P tests, but that is secondary to HDCP not working. Any ideas why my system would flunk the HDCP test?

Thanks!

Lew

That test doesn’t include every piece of equipment on the market, so it doesn’t really mean much.
If you know you have the correct equipment that is basically all that matters.
i tried that test when I first started out and there were components that didn’t pass and then
the software was updated and the same components did pass.

[QUOTE=BONJOPI;2493101]That test doesn’t include every piece of equipment on the market, so it doesn’t really mean much.
If you know you have the correct equipment that is basically all that matters.
i tried that test when I first started out and there were components that didn’t pass and then
the software was updated and the same components did pass.[/QUOTE]

Also, the OP has to be informed that not all 8600GT cards are HDCP-compliant. Many of them are not, unfortunately, despite the claims from the makers of the cards. I tested a friend’s system with a very similar video card, with the exact same version of the software. In that particular case, the video card failed the HDCP compliance test. The monitor could not be tested (and thus its HDCP compliance grade was listed as “NA” or something similar) because the video card failed the test. And even with the very latest version of the player software, the video board still failed the HDCP test. And when I tried playing a Blu-Ray disc on that machine with the monitor reconnected through DVI-D, I got only a blank screen - no video output at all. In that rig, the only way to get things back to “normal” after this failure to display an image was to restart the entire system since none of the keys on the keyboard would even function. No wonder why the owner of that rig had to use the analog VGA connection so that he could play his Blu-Ray discs on that machine (albeit at a reduced, 480p resolution that’s been downsized from 1080 lines using a bad resizing alogarithm).

If on the other hand both your video board and your monitor are from a reputable company, and both claim to be HDCP compliant, then you may need to update your Blu-Ray player software in order for video to be output from hi-def discs via the DVI or HDMI out.

The only new component is the monitor but you would think something as common as a Samsung would be known in their database. Are they testing based on item ID, or by running a test for compatibility?

I have the latest video drivers installed and according to cyberlink they
are no good. I also have 8 Gigs of system memory not the 4 Gs shown.
so that software is only partially accurate.

Perhaps it is telling you that you have “at least” 4GB of memory, meaning you have all you need and for BR anything past that is unnecessary?

At least yours shows HDCP compatibility.

[QUOTE=BONJOPI;2493166]I have the latest video drivers installed and according to cyberlink they
are no good. I also have 8 Gigs of system memory not the 4 Gs shown.
so that software is only partially accurate.
[/QUOTE]

You have a very old version of the Cyberlink Blu-Ray Disc Advisor. That version was released before any of the HD4xxx series cards were released.

In addition, are you running a 32-bit version of Windows? Or 64-bit? (If you were running 32-bit Windows, 4096 MB would be the most that you’ll see in the Advisor even if you have much more than that installed.)

Here is the link to previous releases (prior to the latest “beta” release):

Archived Blu-Ray Advisor Versions

The latest “beta” release can be downloaded here.

And if everything checks out on the newer releases of the advisor, then you may have to update your player software to work with the newer cards.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2493287]And if everything checks out on the newer releases of the advisor, then you may have to update your player software to work with the newer cards.[/QUOTE]

Actually, this applies if the player software version has a yellow radio button instead of a green radio button next to it. Otherwise, an update is not needed except to perhaps fix bugs in older versions.

You guys are right again! That is why I read these forums.
Running Vista 64

To be sure I had the latest, I followed the link to get the new Advisor. Just like with the other guy, it reported half my memory, but in this case only reported 2GB of 4GB. I think with Vista32 only 3GB is useable, but it shouldn’t be reporting 2GB.

It still shows Digital (without HDCP) none for hardware dual-video for all three options. Everything else is green/yes.

I have heard conflicting information on HDCP support for the T260HD monitor. Heard it was supported on DVI and HDMI and then someone else said neither, and then someone else said HDMI only. Two calls to Samsung got two of the above three answers.

It still shows