New server build for video/music

vbimport

Ok. here we go, I really need help with a server build i just built a system at the beginning of the year or at least put it together using the new 2nd. gen i5 but i have not ran it it’s just put together without any op or other software only because i am planning to move and waswaiting till then to finish. now i am thinking about a server build i just got a new case from roswell that has like 12 bays in it i have well over 4000 movie titles and at least 1000 cd’s that are taking up a lot of space i have built a new house from the ground up and have ran most cables behind my walls. I would like this new system to be able to run all mt entertainment need and i would like to use amd products if possible my budget for everything is 700.00 not encluding the hard drive i have read most of the old notes about servers here but the dates are 2009/2010 and most of the hardware is not around i was looking at the amd phenom II x4 970 black ed 3.5 and the zotac 880 git-x-a-e am3 but not sure about that any suggestion would be great and thanks for the read i really like the help i get from here i have learnt a lot

So this is only a server? its not going to play movies just store them to play on another device? Is it going to play games or anything that is cpu heavy?

This is a fast system that is budget orientated. For a server or HTPC type build you don’t need anything more than a dual core cpu. This MB has HDMI on it already and can act as a HTPC as well (depends on what software you use). G.skill RAM is very good and there are deals where you can get 8gigs for $30, but you just have to wait for them, the RAM I selected is very good. Do get more than 8GB, its a total waste for 99% of users. This is an AMD system as you wanted. You don’t need a high power PSU but one that is efficient and has lots of SATA connections, so the Corsair HX750 fit the bill with 12 sata connectors. There is no need for a video card, video is built into the CPU (APU) and the MB has HDMI output as well as DVI.

ASRock A75 EXTREME6 FM1 AMD A75 (Hudson D3) HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX AMD Motherboard with UEFI BIOS

AMD A4-3400 Llano 2.7GHz Socket FM1 65W Dual-Core Desktop APU with DirectX 11 Graphic AMD Radeon HD 6410D AD3400OJGXBOX

G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-10666CL7D-8GBXH

CORSAIR Professional Series HX750 (CMPSU-750HX) 750W ATX12V 2.3 / EPS12V 2.91 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS SILVER Certified Modular Active PFC Power Supply

Totals $358 with a $20 rebate.

When getting the HDD’s I would suggest going with the new 3TB HDD’s that are only 3 platters. The prices are not that bad right now but they should drop as soon as production ramps up again. I’m presonally looking at the Seagate 3TB, but it looks like the price is all over the place, it was $150 recently.

If you don’t mind voiding warranties (by removing the case) there are a lot of ~$100 2TB externals you can cannibalize.