New & scared

vbimport

Firstly, hello everyone, as you can see I’m new.

I hope someone here will be able to help, as I am not very good as this technical stuff.

I have been trying to backup my film collection to my hard drive 1 film at a time, and burn them to dual layer discs. I’m doing this through my laptop, hence the need to have separate ripping & burning processes, since I can only have 1 disc in at a time.

I’m using DVD Shrink to backup the films, but when I get to the burning stage it all goes wrong & I don’t know why, but I don’t want lots of expensive coasters so I had to give up after 3 botched attempts last night.

Apparently DVD Shrink shouldn’t be used for burning dual layer discs, so I made an ISO of one film and tried to burn it to disc using Nero. I got it to verify the data afterwards, and it aborted halfway through, and when I tested the disc, it only worked up to the mid-point, so I’m sure that it’s to do with the dual layers, but I don’t know for sure, or how to fix it.

Basically, I need an idiot-proof, simple setup of ripping & burning software that’ll backup the dvd in it’s entirety to a folder on my hard drive, then let me put in a blank DL disc & burn it in it’s entirety, and then have it able to play like my original one.

Can someone please help because it’s really infuriating and making me feel very very stupid.

ImgBurn…

http://www.imgburn.com/

Downloading that just now, so will it do both jobs no hassle?

Just curious - will dvds burnt with IMGBurn play on an Xbox 360, or will they just work on the laptop?

Do not use Nero for DVD/DL get ImgBurm. It is free software and the only one which will make workable DVD/DL disk.
Also do not use cheep disc for dual layer burning. Verbatim brand is one used by most.
http://www.imgburn.com/

DvdFab Platinum is an all in one ripper/transcoder/burn engine.

The free version will rip newer movies to you HDD where you can transcode them with Dvd Shrink, the use Imgburn to burn. Imgburn is one of the best at setting the layer break for DL discs.

Not to familiar with gaming consoles (as I game on my PC) but if 360 plays dvds imgburn will work fine… : )

Tell us how it worked out…

Hi Delphinium Blue and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Your problem is probably not the software you use for burning but the media you use. DL burning is still tricky and there are more crappy media out there than good ones. And it is usually even worse when you use an internal laptop drive for burning since usually they are worse at burning DL media due to less firmware support.

I would suggest starting by using verbatim DL media for backing up your film collection. The software you use [U]should[/U] really make no difference to the quality of burning.

Yeah the encryption was another thing that worried me, as I got a popup when I tried to play one of the discs saying that there was an error as the data was encrypted.

Sorry that these are really elementary questions, but all the software I’ve used up to this point (including DVD Shrink, which confused the hell out of me) has expected me to already know exactly what I’m doing.

Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll try out IMGBurn & see how it goes.

The reason I got dual layer discs is so I could have my films copied exactly as the originals with all the subtitle tracks, special features etc intact without having to compress & therefore lose quality, so DL was the only option I could see. It was only last night when I tried to run this stuff that I realised how out of my depth I am.

Thanks to everyone for your responses (and I daresay patience with a noob such as myself).

Glad to help and welcome Delphinium Blue!

[QUOTE=Delphinium Blue;2156421]Thanks for the advice everyone, I’ll try out IMGBurn & see how it goes.

The reason I got dual layer discs is so I could have my films copied exactly as the originals with all the subtitle tracks, special features etc intact without having to compress & therefore lose quality, so DL was the only option I could see. It was only last night when I tried to run this stuff that I realised how out of my depth I am.

Thanks to everyone for your responses (and I daresay patience with a noob such as myself).[/QUOTE]

You can shrink some disc down enough to fit on a single layer disc.
You would not want to shrink/compress to much, but I have shrunk down to 70 % and still came out with a good disc.

Keeping with ^^that^^ idea, i’d suggest Dvd Rebuilder. It takes a while to encode, but the quality is top notch.