New SATA optical drives

vbimport

Does anyone know much about the new Panasoinc SATA optical drives? They’re suppose to be flooding the market within a few months, and I just can’t see that working! :disagree:

Is SATA ready for this? :sad:

I think you mean just drives with a chipset/PUH from Panasonic…
Already seen by Benq and Plextor, now adding more and more SATA connectors, which is good!

PS: Why do you crosspost???
http://club.cdfreaks.com/showthread.php?t=182205

This seemed important enough for its own topic i decided after posting in that other forum.

So, question is, are big companies like Apple, Dell, and HP going to adapt to this for their optical drives? And how easily will this be done? Will they just leave things alone until they’re forced to take SATA optical?

So there is a new chipset from Panasonic that they have to use for SATA?

I think NEC has been shipping to DELL for some months!

Ok, so Dell does NEC (I dont blame them, I love NEC drives), but does this mean Apple is planning on going 100% SATA? Are they already doing that w/conversion boards on their optical drives? (my point is based on the fact that Apple and Panasonic work together often)

I just wonder how big and how fast these SATA drives will take over the market. Don’t get me wrong, I’ve always thought it would go that way, I just wonder if the market is really ready for it yet.

Yes. It is prepared by Microsoft and all those members of the TCPA group (or how they call themselves now).
Unlike good-old P-ATA, SATA supports DRM. The new CPUs from Intel and AMD support DRM and also the new mainboard chipsets. As already seen with Intel-based boards, now AMD based boards will have fewer P-ATA connectors. And not to forget Windows Vista, that will be using these new features…

Yes. The market is prepared. :Z

Michael

Woah… that answered a lot of how they can control DRM on the hardware level.

That is aweful! I can see now having to used hacked firmware and hacked Windows just to use a computer normally!

Thanks for that info, it helps me realize why they’re pushing SATA now, before Vista.

So based on this information, I’d say all the big players will have SATA optical drives before Vista.

Was that some form of joke? ^^
What is it that has “DRM” built into it exactly?
The only thing that has anything that resembles DRM, TCPA or whatever you call it, right now, is some motherboard with some stupid TCP modules or something, that are not even thought to be used for blocking your pirated music or movies anyway, and no OS has any kind of implementation for these devices.
The only copyprotecting hardware things that are on the way for Vista right now that I can see is HDCP for encrypting display signals so you can’t watch HD DVDs.

If you have any other examples please tell me.
What would some “DRM”-chip be used for in a SATA dvd-writer exactly?

HD-DVD and Blueray drives on the other hand, they will have nasty shit on them and some kind of drive identification numbers made to lock out pirated disks and all that stuff but did you really think they were gonna give up their movies without a fight this time?

Hopefully it will all be broken quickly, but if I was in their shoes I’d probably do something similar if I wanted to keep up my ridicilously high prices.

Let us hope for cracked protection and cheap new media to write to.

Did someone “devilish” SATA burners just here?? Weird.

DRM over SATA will probably be implemented once Vista releases. M$ controls everything, and now it makes more sence that Panasonic would mass market the 9588 (SATA optical) without a real “reason” in the coming months. In Vista, we probably wouldn’t be able to burn DRM files even as DATA files without some kind of “okay” form a server if the optical drive was SATA w/DRM.

Hi,

Nope. No joke. DRM support is part of the specs. This does not mean, that any SATA drive is already “DRM-ready”.

hat is it that has “DRM” built into it exactly?
There is an external SATA-HDD by Seagate designed for HDD video recorders. The DRM scheme used there should prevent users to connect the drive to another device. See http://www.heise.de/newsticker/meldung/58261 (sorry, german language)

The only thing that has anything that resembles DRM, TCPA or whatever you call it, right now, is some motherboard with some stupid TCP modules or something,
Yepp.

The only copyprotecting hardware things that are on the way for Vista right now that I can see is HDCP for encrypting display signals so you can’t watch HD DVDs.
This seems to be the main application. But because the data stream has to be encrypted (and surveyed) totally, the drives (HDD and ODD) might be involved, too.

What would some “DRM”-chip be used for in a SATA dvd-writer exactly?
I don’t know. Maybe they won’t put DRM chips into DVD-drives, as they will be declared “outdated” when HDDVD and BR are common. I don’t know what will happen.

HD-DVD and Blueray drives on the other hand, they will have nasty shit on them and some kind of drive identification numbers made to lock out pirated disks and all that stuff
For these drives use SATA interface, it is necessary that SATA is DRM compliant. And this is the only thing I said before.

Hopefully it will all be broken quickly, but if I was in their shoes I’d probably do something similar if I wanted to keep up my ridicilously high prices.
Your weapon is your and your friend’s wallet. Just ignore their crippled stuff, that also includes downloads from the net. If there is no demand, they might think about that, hopefully.

Let us hope for cracked protection and cheap new media to write to.
I personally boycot “protected” content, and this also means, I won’t try getting this using other sources, too.

Michael

Wow… the future looks bleak… I hate DRM!

http://pc.danawa.com/price_right.html?cate1=861&cate2=878&pcode=158822

http://pc.danawa.com/price_right.html?cate1=861&cate2=878&pcode=150486

http://pc.danawa.com/price_right.html?cate1=861&cate2=878&pcode=150492

It seems now all major ODD manufacturers are shipping SATA DVD burners.

It seems to me that IDE will be phased out. I don’t know why it’s taken so long to get SATA burners. I would think HP and Dell wouldn’t want to have IDE on their motherboards just to handle optical burners. It doesn’t make sense to me.

I’ve heard the latest Intel mobos don’t have IDE.

That is true, unless they change their plans, so the future of all drives will be SATA. Not to worry, IDE and USB will be an option for as long as the drive works. Time to stock up is all. Maybe 10 years from now I can sell one of my “legacy” non-DRM drives for big bucks. :rolleyes:

Of course, by then optical media will hold 10 times as much and will be 2.5 inches so that may be a little problem. The secret is dying before your archive and all your playback equipment is obsolete. LPs lasted way too long and gave us a false sense of stability.

ICH 8? The major ODD manufacturers originally planned to switch from P-ATA to S-ATA when Intel was going to support S-ATA only in ICH 7, but Intel left at least one P-ATA channel in ICH 7. That was why.