New SATA Lite-on drive

vbimport

I’m in the market for a new Lite-on SATA CD/DVD burner, what is the best thing on the market right now?

Any help and suggestions are greatly appreciated!

If you have a frys nearby, wait for the next time they have the Emprex drives on sale. Get the one that is an AD-7190S and flash it to a DH20A3S. That’ll set you back around $18 to $20 after the rebates they offer.

For best CD burning quality, I believe the belief is still that CD burners do the best job. Anyone, please correct me if I’m worng on that.

Optionally (and heretically), you can go for the Emperex version of the AD-7200S which is an awsome drive. But, it’s the wrong forum for that. :slight_smile:

[QUOTE=willmore;2145930]If you have a frys nearby, wait for the next time they have the Emprex drives on sale. Get the one that is an AD-7190S and flash it to a DH20A3S. That’ll set you back around $18 to $20 after the rebates they offer.

For best CD burning quality, I believe the belief is still that CD burners do the best job. Anyone, please correct me if I’m worng on that.

Optionally (and heretically), you can go for the Emperex version of the AD-7200S which is an awsome drive. But, it’s the wrong forum for that. :)[/QUOTE]

Offbrand aren’t good as the name brand items from the company. Granted there are some off brand that are good as well but usually I tend to stay with company brand for warranty and service repair problems. That belief was true when there was only cd burners but dvd are cd/dvd burners in one complete package. While settle for one technology that won’t let you increase your storage and burning needs??? I have to wonder. As to the OP, we responders should strive to respond to what they are asking for not what we want them to ask. If you looking for new liteon sata drive you should take a look at the liteon site and see which one has the specs your looking for.

WOODiE55; i recently bought liteon ATAPI DVD A DH204AP 9P59[IDE]…QUITE FAST …RELIABLE FOR BURNING DISCS…NOT PRICEY…iheard in some countries a lite on is a cheapie sony in disguise…with similar spspecs. good luck. frank

Coolcolors,

I agree about warranty for rebranded stuff, but this is originally branded parts, just sold in a ‘white box’ labeled Emprex. There’s nothing Exprex about the drive–no custom firmware, etc. It’s not like Buffalo, etc. where they do some customizations.

Their AD-7200S drive is an actual AD-7200S. Their AD-7190S is a real AD-7190S–which happens to be rebranded by Optarc from a Lite-ON model–search elsewhere in the forum for that story if you’re interested.

Warranty on a $20 drive? blink Uhh, okay. You have to ship the drive back to the manufacturer to get a replacement–assuming they’re willing to RMA it (see my early posts on my Sony 710A experience if you want the painful story). That shipping, alone,
may cost you the price of another drive. Why bother? Sure, if you paid $100 or more on the drive, it might be a concern, but, for disposable consumer electronics? The cost/benefit analysis of that does not work out. But, that’s just IMHO. YMMV and all that.

Jolly-Roger,

Short version of Lite-ON/Sony history: Sony drives were Lite-ON drives with customized firmware. Then the lovers had a falling out and Sony used other drives–some Benq drives, etc.–then Sony fell in love with NEC and formed Optarc. But, the relationship couldn’t produce ‘offspring’ fast enough to suit Sony, so they were forced to rebrand some Lite-ON drives (AD-7190 amongst possibly others). There’s a lot more to the story, but that’s the broad strokes.

I only mention that to somewhat refute your ‘lite on is a cheapie sony in disguise’ comment. There are no sony drives. All of them are rebranded drives from someone else. Again, someone please correct me if I’m wrong on that.

So, OP, please let us know just what you’re looking for in a drive and we’d all be glad to help you with both advice and education. But, we’ll talk amongst ourselves until you get back. :wink:

And how is your information helping WoodiE55 when he’s asking for a SATA drive? :rolleyes:

Provide some proof.

@WoodiE55,
I’d suggest to look into the iHAS120/220 if available in your region. This series has so far been very good, continuing the 20A3S line. With that said, the iHAS322/422 may soon be available, but it’s still early to determine whether this new 22x LO burner is good or not.