New SATA burner

vbimport

Hi!

I am buying new SATA dvd burner and need some help. I have Plextor PX-760A. Its great burner but it still IDE burner. And i want to get rid of old IDE cables in my comp. So i am looking for something new with SATA. But this time not Plextor.
I have narrow it down to:

Samsung S203D
Samsung S223F
Pioneer DVR-115D
Pioneer DVR-215D

What i need is:

• good (quality) audio cd scan/read
  • good writing
  • silent/quiet drive

Any other recommendation? But NO NEC/Optiarc…

Welcome to the forum.
The Pioneer 115D is an IDE drive. The 215D is the SATA version.
Forget the Samsung SH-S223F for the moment, it seems to have some serious problems when writing CD-R
The Samsung 203 range are generally good drives, but no use for CD scanning.
The Pioneers can’t do a disc quality scan at all, but they do offer very good writing quality.

Pity you dismiss the Optiarc as, the 7200S/7203S drives are probably the best at the moment at most things, including scanning CD-R media. They are also fast and accurate audio CD rippers, as are the Samsung 203 range.

None of them can compete with the Plextor PX-760 for CD/DVD testing though. :slight_smile:

[edit] None of your listed drives are silent.

[QUOTE=Dee-27;2101024]Welcome to the forum.
The Pioneer 115D is an IDE drive. The 215D is the SATA version.
Forget the Samsung SH-S223F for the moment, it seems to have some serious problems when writing CD-R
The Samsung 203 range are generally good drives, but no use for CD scanning.
The Pioneers can’t do a disc quality scan at all, but they do offer very good writing quality.

Pity you dismiss the Optiarc as, the 7200S/7203S drives are probably the best at the moment at most things, including scanning CD-R media. They are also fast and accurate audio CD rippers, as are the Samsung 203 range.

None of them can compete with the Plextor PX-760 for CD/DVD testing though. :slight_smile:

[edit] None of your listed drives are silent.[/QUOTE]

So actually PX-760 is still better in reading/writing quality? What about new Plextor drives 8xx? Are they any good? With NEC/Optiarc i dont have any good experience. But are the latest models really good (7203S)?

[QUOTE=tomzzi;2101038]So actually PX-760 is still better in reading/writing quality? What about new Plextor drives 8xx? Are they any good? With NEC/Optiarc i dont have any good experience. But are the latest models really good (7203S)?[/QUOTE]The Plextor 800 is made by Optiarc and the 810 (i think that’s the model) is made by Pioneer.
Regarding the Optiarc 72xx series. Most people who own these drives are delighted with them. You may like to check out this thread and make up your own mind though. :slight_smile:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/optiarc-ad-7200a-s-results-discussion-233536/

So the new Optiarc drives are that good? What about noise levels? Now i am even more confused. Because from poll results for April-June the Samsung 203 drive is highly recommended and highly rated.
And one of my friend got Samsung S223F and said that is really nice and quiet drive??? So if i understand right Optiarc is still better choice than Samsung??? I have few oldest Optiarc/NEC models and they were anything else than quiet and good in writing. Sometimes they didnt read discs that i burned with them. And they werent scratched…

Sorry for my bad english…

@ tomzzi,

Forum Member Dee-27 in posting #4 provided a Forum link concerning the Optiarc AD-7200A/S Drive that provides detailed information.

Suggest closely reviewing that information and other threads in the dedicated Optiarc DVD Burner Forum (http://club.cdfreaks.com/f86/) for detailed information concerning the Optiarc AD-7200A/S Drive.

Regards,
bjkg