New Samsung writemaster, Old computer

vbimport

[qanda]This thread is about the Samsung DVD±R/RW Drive Writemaster, White. Click here to see full specs[/qanda]Hi All,
My lovely wife got me a Samsung 22x writemaster SH-S223Q, last christmas. As I am a 60+ grandad, learning about computers as I go along, it was left in the box until I got around to reading up on how to install it. I had never opened the case of my elderly Acerpower F1 pc. before.
When I eventually did last month, I found that my current DVD-rom and CD rewriter are connected to the motherboard by 2 inch(approx) ribbon cables which I now know are IDE connections whereas my Samsung is SATA. Herein lies the problem. The motherboard is an Elitegroup 661fx-m-deluxe(1.0) which, according to the manual, should have 2 Sata connections. I thought my problem was solved until closer inspection revealed that rather than a connection, all I could find were 2 little areas marked Sata1 and Sata 2 which consisted of the soldered ends of wires. No sockets of any kind. I then trekked of to Maplins to see if there was such an animal as an IDE to Sata converter which would allow me to replace my DVD rom with my new Samsung. The assistant came up with a Sata to Ide converter for 23 of my pension pounds but was very unsure if it would work the other way round (IDE to SATA), so I declined. I am now stuck with a lovely piece of kit from my even lovelier wife, too late to exchange it, (the Samsung, not the wife) which sits forlorn in its box waiting for one of you brainier than me people to guide me on what to try next. I hope someone has a solution.:bow: Thank you for your time.

The sata to ide converters will not work the other way around,ide to sata. Those adapters are around $26 USD here in the states. The best thing to do is find some one that wants a sata Samsung 223 and let him/her buy you a samsung 222, that is the ide connection one, and trade them your 223. You will need a 80 wire-40 pin IDE cable. You probably have the old 40 wire-40 pin cables now. Good luck

Hi and Welcome![QUOTE=marne24;2452545]
My lovely wife got me a Samsung 22x writemaster SH-S223Q,(…) The motherboard is an Elitegroup 661fx-m-deluxe(1.0) which, according to the manual, should have 2 Sata connections. I thought my problem was solved until closer inspection revealed that rather than a connection, all I could find were 2 little areas marked Sata1 and Sata 2 which consisted of the soldered ends of wires. [/quote]an OEM board. Crippled in order to save two cents.

(…)

waiting for one of you brainier than me people to guide me on what to try next. I hope someone has a solution.:bow: Thank you for your time.
Apart from trading the 223 for a 222 as already suggested, you have a couple of options:
The best one is installing a Sata controller card. I have good experience with Delock 70096, which does a nice job after application of the non-Raid controller Bios. No idea, if this controller card is available, where you live. Perhaps there is a similar card (should have Silicon Image 3512 chipset) available.

Another option would be an external enclosure, you can attach the drive via USB. The performance of such a unit depends on the USB controller of your motherboard.

Oh, adapters to connect Sata drives to IDE (Pata) controllers do exist, but I have no personal experience with these. They are available for less than 10 Euro here, local shops want triple the price :rolleyes:

Michael

Hi Again,
Some helpful info here, thank you. I think the Sata controller card may be the answer I need, but I will have to study up on it as these things are beyond my limited experience, so far, but I do learn as I go along, and haven’t managed to destroy my computer yet. I have come pretty close, though, until I learned the lesson of “Dont mess with things you dont understand” Get help and read up on it. I also thought about an external case or Caddy for the Samsung, but wouldn’t I need another power source as well as the usb connection?
Pete

Hi,

if you are going the PCI Sata controller card route, you may check our general hardware section. There are a couple of threads dealing with such controller cards.
Examples:
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/silicon-image-based-sata-ide-controllers-flashable-not-252721/
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f7/sata-ide-converter-235682/ (<— Instructions inside)

As for the external solution: External enclosures come with their own Power Supplies, most of them are external units. So the woman acceptance factor is rather low :wink:

Michael