New router time

vbimport

i’m tired of this POS smc router. i have the 7004fw model and i hate it, hate it, hate it. it’s always dropping my WAN IP. Anyways, how bout some Recommendations? i’ve heard horror stories about linksys and dlink. what about netgear? i’m looking for something very reliable and under $100. Oh yeah, not looking for wireless.

thanks,

carpe

Reliable? Well, the “safest” bet would be an old PC running m0n0wall (http://m0n0.ch/wall/) or so. I personally wouldn’t except a router from Netgear, D-Link, SMC etc to be “stable” for that little money nor have a seen one that’s rock steady.
//Danne

been using the netgear wgr614 for 6 months. itz both cable and wireless. it rulez. no hassle with firmware updates and never an issue with it at all. very easy to setup. i have tried a few other brands and hated them.

With wireless routers, you will have intermittent dropped connections with all brands, I seen it first hand… D-Link, Linksys, Netgear, SMC, Belkin, etc…
Firmware updates help but do not completely resolve the problems, especially if you have a Microwave or 2.4ghz wireless house phone

Also keep in mind that Cable/DSL routers are not real routers, they connect via straight-through cable, not crossover cable like say a CISCO router would.

I would suggest a D-Link product because you get the most features and a bang for your buck at the price they are at. D-Link also has 24/7 technical support, low hold times while waiting, an dawesome customer care, they took back a print server and reinburst me even though it was newegg’s and they were not obligated to.

My suggestion:
DI-604 for wired
DI-624 for wireless

Also keep in mind that Cable/DSL routers are not real routers, they connect via straight-through cable, not crossover cable like say a CISCO router would.

Huh? The type of cable you use does not define wether it’s a router or not.
I haven’t tried out this brand myself but I’ve heard from a friend who’s into WLANs that Orinoco makes very good access points.
//Danne

@Diizzy
All the brands I mentioned above are not real routers, they are simple home cable/dsl routers. The proof is in the cabling used. Real routers are basically small computers and are not accessed via a webpage. You telnet into the router by using a rollover ethernet cable. To access the router for setup, corss-over cable is used. CISCO is an example of a real router, not a cable/dsl router, although can be used for cable/dsl if need be.

I am not saying home cable/dsl routers are bad, they are more than what most people get for their price, but it does expalin some common problems like intermitten disconnects.

Ornico I believe also makes real routers, but I have not yet used them.
I can check for you if you really want to know.

Hope that clarifies it. :wink:

They’re still routers by definition although not the same type you would put in the core of a network for instance. :slight_smile:

"In packet-switched networks such as the Internet, a router is a device or, in some cases, software in a computer, that determines the next network point to which a packet should be forwarded toward its destination. The router is connected to at least two networks and decides which way to send each information packet based on its current understanding of the state of the networks it is connected to. A router is located at any gateway (where one network meets another), including each point-of-presence on the Internet. A router is often included as part of a network switch.

A router may create or maintain a table of the available routes and their conditions and use this information along with distance and cost algorithms to determine the best route for a given packet. Typically, a packet may travel through a number of network points with routers before arriving at its destination. Routing is a function associated with the Network layer (layer 3) in the standard model of network programming, the Open Systems Interconnection (OSI) model. A layer-3 switch is a switch that can perform routing functions. "

//Danne

@DiiZzY

Yes I know. I just tried to make it a bit clearer why connections sometimes get dropped in avg Routers found at home for DSL/CABLE needs.

I hope to some day save $5G and get me a nice CISCO 5000series.

That would rule