New reverse ATA firmware for ND-7551A from NEC support

vbimport

After request sent to NEC Germany I recieved New reverse ATA firmware pack for ND-7551A. But previously I patched original 1-02 firmware with Liggy’s ND7551 Bitsetting firmware 1-02. Should I roll back to the original one before upplying reverse ATA firmware pack? And my second question for Liggy: As I understood from NEC support, reverse ATA firmware will change the firmware version to 1.P2. When Liggy’s ND7551 Bitsetting 1.P2 firmware may be available?

P.S. My original problem was the following. My new ND-7551A was not recognized by Toshiba Satellite M45 laptop. The original drive was Master on second IDE chanel. After reading several threads I assumed that the reason for that was my ND-7551A factory configured as Master and my laptop needs it to be Slave. Am I right? Maybe someone had any experiance with Toshiba M45 series latop and NEC drives? Please, advice.

Just forgot to post link

http://www.de.nec.de/faq_detail.php/id/1350/frage/687/lang/ENG

There’s no need to revert your drive back to the official 1-02 firmware before applying the reverse ATA pack. I’m not sure, when the I will have time for a 1.P2 bitsetting firmware. I will have to get access to the files first. Thanks for uploading them, but at the moment I’m still unable to access any files there.

[EDIT]Can download the files directly from NEC[/EDIT]

After reading several threads I assumed that the reason for that was my ND-7551A factory configured as Master and my laptop needs it to be Slave. Am I right? Maybe someone had any experiance with Toshiba M45 series latop and NEC drives? Please, advice.

I think it was the correct assumption. After having read several threads, most Toshiba laptops seem to require their drives set to slave.

Is there a way to apply ATA pack via binflash or some other windows utility? NEC drives that cannot be recognized in Toshiba laptops will not be recognized in DOS and therefore ATA pack cannot be used.
The drive is accessible in Windows (if removed and reinserted) but the ATA pack doesn’t work in Windows. It’s a “catch 22” issue.

Can ATA pack be added to one of the firmwares on Liggy’s page or be packaged as windows utility or a .BIN file that can be applied via binflash?

Also is there a list of differences between all the firmwares on that site? (for 7550/7551 for instance) I can understand the RPC1 part and bitsetting when listed in description but I’m not sure what is the difference between all the numbered versions.

Binflash cannot change a drive’s bootcode. I have a Windows tool for this task but due to some recent issues it will not be published.

Also is there a list of differences between all the firmwares on that site? (for 7550/7551 for instance) I can understand the RPC1 part and bitsetting when listed in description but I’m not sure what is the difference between all the numbered versions.

Detailed information about all firmwares are not available. Sometimes NEC releases a changelog and some firmwares are listed with the supported media. But other changes are usually not documented.

Thank you for you comments.

NEC DOS based reverse ATA doesn’t work for me at all.

I have connected my 7550 drive to a desktop PC but when I execute 7550BTR.BAT I get an “another error.” return code when I try it with ANY firmware starting from 101_orig.bin and going up from there.

I wonder why reverse ATA package doesn’t work for me? Is there a particular firmware and/or other config that the drive must have before NEC ATA pack can be used?

Also what is the practical effect of using Driver Converter utility on 7550 drive? I can set the drive to be 7551 but I’m not sure what exactly I gain. I cannot apply firmware for 7551 and I’m not sure if I get the LabelFlash ability. Not that I can test it anyway, just curious.

You could try calling the executable that’s called by the 7550BTR.BAT. This might work for you. You just need to add the two parameters. One is for primary/secondary controller, the second one is for master slave devices. Some people only succeeded after ommiting the /fwcheck parameter.

There is no practical effect by using the drive converter. It only changes an internal drive ID. It was helpful on previous drives.

Success!!! Thank you Liggy!!!

Your suggestions were right on.

I’m new to this forum so this was probably covered here before but since I couldn’t find all the information right away I think I’ll summarize my quest for making ND7550 work in my Toshiba Tecra M3.

Background:
ND7550 drive as well as many others is set as master by default which generates IDE #1 error upon boot in Toshiba laptops but the drive is accessible in windows if removed and reinserted.

Steps performed:

1. Obtained ND7550. It’s not as easy as you think. It’s not widely available but I found one vendor who has them for $90.00 shipped. http://www.shop14035.com/
  2. Downloaded Liggy’s firmware and utilities.
    I downloaded the following components:
    Liggy’s ND7550 Bitsetting Firmware 1.01
    NEC ND7550 Firmware 1.P1
    BinFlash 1.27 (http://binflash.cdfreaks.com is down at the moment)
    NEC ND7550A Reverse ATA firmware package
  3. Applied “Liggy’s ND7550 Bitsetting Firmware 1.01” via binflash and set all available book types to DVD-ROM
  4. Removed drive from laptop and connected it to desktop PC via adapter. (Availble for $7.00 + 6.02s/h from Logic Supply)
  5. Booted PC with bootable CD created with standard NERO boot image and content of Liggy’s reverse.zip on the CD drive.
  6. During boot up took a note of NEC drive placement (IDE channel, master position) then ran “B7550005.EXE /p:0 /d:0”. (Substitute “/p:0” with “/p:1” if connected to the secondary IDE channel.) Disregard instruction that came with reverse.zip.
  7. Drive firmware got updated; drive however became unrecognizable by PC upon next boot.
  8. Inserted drive back in Toshiba laptop; applied NEC ND7550 Firmware 1.P1 (http://liggydee.cdfreaks.com/download/7550/1p1_rpc1.zip)
  9. Rebooted laptop; error is gone. Everything is working fine.

Conclusion:
I now have ND7550 with Riplock and RPC1 patches as well as booktypes set to DVD-ROM. The drive works without any problems in my Toshiba laptop.

I am a happy guy now. :smiley: :smiley:

Just one observation.
Upon flashing the firmware with B7550005.EXE the drive shows up in binflash as having 0.05 firmware revision. Does it mean that B7550005.exe is just a firmware file and if so, can it be extracted for use with binflash?

No. 0.05 is just the version of your bootcode. Normal ATA drives have 0.04.
Binflash doesn’t have the necessary commands for dumping or changing the bootcode.

Hi all,

I just bought a ND-7551A and in my notebook BIOS shows the following IDE configuration:
Primary Master: HDD (Auto)
Secondary Master: none (Auto)
Primary Slave: none (Auto)
Secondary Slave: ATAPI CD-ROM (Auto)

But Nero Info Tool tells:
Primary Master: HDD
Primary Slave: NEC ND-7551A

My old Matshita DVD burner was recognized as “Secondary Master” and I would like to obtain the same configuration with the ND-7551.

Please confirm if I am experiencing the same issue discussed here and if the tool available at
http://www.de.nec.de/faq_detail.php/id/1350/frage/687/lang/ENG
will resolve this.

@Liggy
If this is the way to go for me, do you need any dump file or so to hopefully make a tool allowing to switch back to Normal ATA again if needed?

Thanks a lot :wink:

It’s hard to say what configuration your notebook uses exactly. But it would at least be interesting to know, what notebook model you have.

I’m not sure if you’re 7551 is really set to slave already. I assume your notebook exchanges the IDE ports internally in some way. To be sure, you should tell us what firmware version your 7551 currently has.

I don’t need any additional information to make a 7551 drive master again - I already have everything that’s needed for it :wink:

Liggy, thanks for your quick answer :wink:

My notebooks is an Asus M3Np (aka M3000Np), my 7551’s original firmware is shown as 1-02 in Nero Info Tool and the drive itself has “GEN” mentioned on its label.

Good to know that you already have everything you need to make it Master again :slight_smile:

With firmware 1-02 your drive is definitely set to master. To have the same behaviour like before, you probably have to apply the reverse ata package.

But be sure to have a desktop PC with slimeline adapter available in case your notebook won’t recognize the drive after applying the package.

Ok Liggy, thank you again…that’s great service :slight_smile:

I also do have an adapter (though I would have to go and hijack a friend’s desktop lol) , but thx for the advice.

The ultimate thing now would be if you could manage to release that 1P2 firmware soon…continue your great work :wink:

I’ll post my feedback later
Have a good day

OK I successfully flashed to Reverse ATA, but now the configuration is as follows:

BIOS:
Primary Master: HDD (Auto)
Secondary Master: none (Auto)
Primary Slave: ATAPI CD-ROM (Auto)
Secondary Slave: none (Auto)

But Nero Info Tool tells: :a
Primary Master: HDD
Primary Master: NEC ND-7551A

Somebody has a clue what is going on??? :confused:

At least I don’t have an idea, but I guess I won’t recommend Asus notebooks to anyone. I wonder how they do their drive recognition.

Honestly, I definitely DO recommend Asus notebooks…I have quite been working in that business and from my experience they are really good quality and very well engineered. Drive recognition policy shouldn’t be such an important factor.

I tried several other Matshita drives before and they all were recognized correctly in the BIOS and in Nero Info Tool.
Also, the BIOS recognition of my ND-7551 is ok now, but Nero Info Tool tells that HDD and ODD are both Primary Master…maybe Nero Info Tool does not correctly detect something ?!

I have no idea, which one to trust. But two primary master devices in one machine seem impossible to me

Ok I think the “two primary masters” is a Nero Info Tool issue…
BIOS, Astra32, Sandra 2005 and Nero log file report the drive as Secondary Master

DiskPeripheral : FUJITSU MHV2120AH atapi Port 1 ID 0 DMA: On
CdRomPeripheral : _NEC DVD_RW ND-7551A atapi Port 2 ID 0 DMA: On

Hmmm. In this case everything seems to be OK now. At least DMA is on for both drives. That’s the most important thing. :slight_smile: