New protection technique (I believe)

I have this software for a certain expensive printing equipment (sorry i cannot disclose what software it is) that we use, it is fairly brand new we just bought it last november. It came with this special software that i want to backup but cannot. before posting here on cdfreaks, i’ve researched a lot already and tried to backup the cd but unsuccessful. iv listed below the ordeal i’ve gone through:

cd characteristics:

the original cd is working well, and with no scratch. The burned surface looks somewhat different, it doesnt look like anything iv seen before, the “burn trace” looks different. at first iv tried to do the basic thing, select all the files and folders in the cd, right click then copy, then make new folder on desktop then paste. this of course didn’t do the trick but iv noticed that some files were copiable. so then i copied the files one by one on the new folder iv created, this is to determine which file cannot be copied. through this process i was able to determine the ONLY file that cannot be copied in the entire cd, this is the file “data2.cab”, with file size around 47MB. Iv researched at google and here at cdfreaks whether there were similar cases of uncopiable .cab, or whether there is a copy protection that thwart basic copying and pasting of file, but i came up empty handed.

determine the protection:
i have tried clonexxl, protection id, and some other stuff but it cannot detect the copy protection used. the cd contains software for the equipment, it is not a game cd. iv speculated what could it be, so i assume that it was TAGES. But as i understand, CDs with TAGES and other copy protection techniques that are commonly discussed here at cdfreaks are copiable in some sense, it was stated that you can make iso image of these CDs, but workability is not guaranteed, and sometimes you cannot burn the image on a cd. But in my case, i cannot make an iso image at all of the CD. Iv tried blindwrite, cloneCD, alcohol 120%. It says “undetectable sector” or “bad sector”. But the original CD is working perfectly and no scratch.

Since this is not a game CD, iv researched more thinking that this protection might be some other uncommon technique. i ended up with hexalock. But then again it was also stated that people who have CDs protected with hexalock were able to make an ISO image of the cd, although the image doesnt work. Then again i assume it cannot be hexalock since i canot make an ISO image at all.

Did someone out there came across with this same unknown protection technique? Iv exhausted all resources i can find.

Note: the only uncopiable file through copying and pasting was the
file “data2.cab”. i think this is the only protected file in the cd that is
not copiable. its around 47MB

What is the software title?

no problem so far. use alcohol, choose the safedisc profile, set read-speed to 4x, and then let it work. it can take a while, but if you just let it work, you might get an image.
there are protections out there, which use ‘bad sectors’ as part of the protection…

And pray tell why is that.
Seems a bit iffy to me, well alot iffy actually and this thread is very close to being closed…

well if you really want to know what it is (probably this is the first time uv heard of this) its Frontier Series, DI Print/Data Writing Service Ver 5.5. So anyone know how to backup this CD? the only file i cannot copy is “data2.cab” 47MB.

iv tried what razor1982 suggested, no luck. it starts to fail at sector 4442.

Perhaps try another drive to copy it?
Use Alcohol 120% and settings that were described earlier.
Bad read sectors is a common used protection method,don’t start to panic if you see errors in Alcohol 120%'s log whilst dumping the disc.

Some protections are based on wrong sectors, so you have to keep them as they are…

Any burning software i use, including alcohol 120%, no matter wat speed i set (i tried 2x and 4x), it couldn’t read the sector starting at 4442 (or thats 1.3% of the entire process), i left it open for 6 hours and it was still not done going through the sectors, i stopped it already at that time.

Try using the RingProtech profile…and the errors are part of a protection so just ignore them.