New Processor installation....easy?

vbimport

A question…is it a major pain in the ass to replace a processor in a PC?
I need to upgrade and dont want to get in over me head.
sweetbac

Installing a Processor is usually a very simple process. The most difficult bit you will find is installing the heatsink back on, Sometimes need to use a little force to clip it back in.

EDIT: What processor do you have now and which processor do you want to install?

What processor do you have now and which processor do you want to install?

I now have a amd k7
The reason I want to upgrade is to burn dvd’s. I dont need a ton of power…I just use this machine for downloading music, e-mail…no games or anything. Any suggestions that will do the trick $100 or less?
Thanks in advance.
Sweetbac

You have to find out what CPUs your motherboard supports.

Even if his motherboard doesn’t support anything decent, socket a motherboards have gotten pretty cheap. Thier are plenty to be had for about 40$ (or less). You can get something really nice like an abit nf7s-2 for 58$ + 2.50 shipping from newegg. Of course that brings up the issue of weather his old memory will work with the new motherboard (upgrading is always a slippery slope, isn’t it).

http://www.lavalys.com/products/download.php?pid=1&lang=en - use this to find out what motherboard and chipset you have.

The AMD K7 based systems had several variations.

1. Slot based - replacement of motherboard is the only option, unless you had a VERY slow version and can find a cheap (secondhand) slot-mount CPU … locally, there was a glut of surplus 700MHz AMD slot CPU’s at the computer fair.
    RAM, usually PC100 SDRAM

2. 200 FSB Socket A (using old chipsets) - only supported Duron up to 1300 and Thunderbird “B” versions - again, a poor upgrade candidate unless you are starting very low, and can source a better CPU cheaply.
    RAM, usually PC100 SDRAM

3. 266 FSB Socket A (the mainstream of the series) - reasonable potential, should still be possible to obtain 266FSB processors
    RAM, PC133 SDRAM, PC2100 DDR - some boards took one, some took the other, a few took either

4. 333 FSB Socket A / 400 FSB Socket A
    Since the 400FSB (Barton 3200+) CPU’s are discontinued - thes will end up carrying the 333FSB Socket A Semprons in the swansong of the Socket A platform.
    RAM - always DDR, PC2700 or PC3200

NB. most motherboards can use faster RAM than that which matches the FSB speed, either running it at the lower speed, or asynchronously at higher speed.
They MAY be able to use slower ram, but it will cost performance

True, but for someone not even experienced with changing a CPU, I would not recommend changing a MB and CPU - unless he/she has an experienced friend helping during the process.

yea, you could be right. It’s not really that hard of a process or anything but thier are quite a few steps and it would be plenty easy to get stuck, even with instructions. I guess it depends on how good you are with taking things apart and such. Personally I learned to work on computers by just figuring it out as I went along (with as much printed info as possible on how to do it avalable before I started) but I did have people I could call for help if I got stuck.