New problem - need help

Movies burned on my Pioneer 108D with either DVD Santa or Nero have always played perfectly until recently.
The last couple burned with nor reported errors but when I try to play them they play fine until the last 5/10 minutes of the movie when they break down with pixilation, loss of sound, freezing etc.
I’m using the same media that I have for years.
Could this be a sign the drive is failing ?

or it could be a sign that the media is terrible and you have been lucky so far.

What media are you using? whats the rated speed and what speed are you burning it at?

It is possible that the laser is having problems following the disc because it is getting past it.

Sorry about that should have said I’m using Ritek G05’s which is the same media I’ve used for years without problem.
It’s rated at 8X and I burn at 4X.

It is possible that the laser is having problems following the disc because it is getting past it

• sorry I don’t understand this could you please explain.
    Thanks

Try some Verbatim or real TY media to burn on, Ritek media has gone down hill over the last few years. If you try one and find the same problem then I would say your burner is on the way out.

As for the laser comment. If the grease on the slide that holds the laser assembly has all gone (over time it can all get pushed down one end) then the laser assembly will not be free to move on its slide and could mean that it cannot follow the spiral in the disc anymore. This will lead to burning errors on the disc, usually towards the end.

-edit- while I think about it, have you tried the newest firmware?

Just upgraded firmware this afternoon - haven’t tried a burn since though.
My firmware was only 1 release back.