New Power Supply Needed?

vbimport

So im in the process of piecing together my new pc. im going from a 5yr old amd x2 4200 to a new i7 860. So far, Ive got a new hard drive and i just picked up the processor and motherboard.

My question is this… do the new motherboards and processors of today need anything special as far as a power supply? Id like to reuse my current power supply until i can get a little more cash together and honestly id like to focus on new ram and new video card first. so if i can scrape by with old, all the better. obviously a new one wont have the wear and tear of an old one, but other than that?

so, this is my currect power supply http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817103932

will this work on my new motherboard? and i7 860 cpu?

as far as i can tell i just need a 24pin connection which mine seems to have (20+4pin). will that do? or do i need to break down and get a new power supply before i try to put this together. if i need a new one, can you make any recommendations? Im not looking for anything special…something under $100 for sure, and i dont overclock, if that matters at all and id probably start with 8gb of ram too.

Thanks in advance!

Your current power supply seems to have adequate power over the 12v lines, which is a concern with modern motherboards. The main thing I can see that would be a problem is that this power supply has only a 4 pin ATX connector that hooks in to give power to the cpu. This motherboard has an 8 pin connection. The 4pin cable will hook into half of that socket on the motherboard, but I’m not knowledgeable enough on the subject to know if this would be adequate.

I’m therefore moving your thread to the Gen. Hardware forum so that Eric can give you some advice. :slight_smile:

The other caveat I have about the old psu is that it is fairly inefficient.

I can’t advise you on a new one to get without a hint or two about the video cards you are considering.

Also, I cannot recommend the continued use of any of the Antec TruePower 2.0 series PSUs or any other Antec-branded PSU which was made by ChannelWellTech (CWT). These PSUs have had reports of early death due to the use of known crummy capacitors (Fuhjyyu) which could not withstand the heat that these PSUs produced, and that Antec has specced a PSU fan or fans which spin at a much-too-low speed to effectively cool their innards. Because of the early death complaints, Antec is now no longer using CWT as one of its OEM suppliers (just like they had severed their OEM contract with Herolchi/HEC a few years ago). Current Antec-branded PSUs are made by FSP (Basiq, except for the BP550A), Delta (BP550A, current EarthWatts), Seasonic (TruePower New, NeoPower ECO, older EarthWatts up to 500W) and Enhance (TruePower Quattro).

By the way, a 20 + 4 pin ATX power connector is compatible with either a 20-pin or a 24-pin ATX power socket. The “20 + 4” designation simply means a modular connector which has 4 of its pins detachable from the other 20 pins if your motherboard needs a 20-pin connector. (Don’t confuse those extra four pins in the 20 + 4 connector with the 4 pins used for the ATX+12V connector.)

Well the old PSU survived his old system, so that takes care of the early death concerns. Your new PC will probably idle at about twice the power draw as the old PC, so its definitely going to be tested. Also as already mentioned if your going to install a video card that uses a lot of power then just get a new PSU.

What video card are you going to run? from there we can suggest a new PSU. We can suggest video cards as well if you intend to game or not.

thanks for the info. right now, i dont have my heart set on any video card. im definitely looking for 1gb pcie at least. no crossfire or anything. just a single. i dont know. im mainly building this rig for video and photo editing with maybe a little 3d down the line, no real gaming. and id like to keep the price under $175-$200 if possible… any recommendations based on that? thanks again.

This card would be a great choice, good price and capable of playing games XFX HD-575X-ZNFC Radeon HD 5750 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 $130 free shipping.

If you wanted to spend a little less, you probably wouldn’t notice the performance difference: XFX HD-567X-YNFC Radeon HD 5670 (Redwood) 512MB 128-bit DDR5 $90 free shipping. This card doesn’t have dual DVI outputs, but I’m sure there is an adapter that can go from HDMI to DVI.

Honestly if you get the 5670 video card you can get a quality PSU for cheap, like the CORSAIR CMPSU-400CX 400W (“10% off w/ promo code maysave10, ends 5/31”) after a small rebate its like $30 with free shipping. Its a current design where its got a lot of power on the 12V rail.

If you want a little more power for the “peace of mind” warm fuzzy feeling, go with the SeaSonic M12II 520 Bronze 520W, its $90 plus shipping but its top of the line and modular. There are a lot of other good choices, pick from Seasonic and Corsair.

ok. thanks… my friend was telling me today tho that since i will be editing and encoding videos and whatnot, i should get something along the lines of a 700w+ PS. honestly, i dont know how many watts i should get or even how to figure that out, but that seemed a little high to me.

the one question i had about the video cards was is there a big difference in performance b/t a 128bit, 256bit or 512bit card? or if i dont get ddr5 and its only 4 or 3, will there be a big noticeable difference? these are the things im not quite sure on. i do want to make sure i have at least 2 dvis, or 1 dvi and 1 hdmi. ive also heard that video cards dont really come into play yet with adobe programs. its more about processor power with those. is that true?

thanks again for the advice!

Thats true only CS5 will take more advantage of a video cards processing power. As for the 700W PSU idea, thats only for someone running two gaming video cards.

As for the 128/256/512 bit memory buses, its performance actually changes with each advance in the overall design of the gpu. So you can’t say 256 is better than 128, you have to read the reviews to figure which is best.

Take a look at This Review, there you find the power consumption and other performance tests for the core 860 cpu. They are using the GTX280 video card (high power gaming card), the system uses at idle 91W, full load 185W. Then they overclocked the snot out of the system, it then used 146W at idle and 305W at full load. So as you can see even the 400W PSU will work fine, a lot of us would also rather 500-600W as well but its not necessary.

Actually just to note, they didn’t really stress the video card when doing the load test, it was more of a CPU load test, so under higher gaming it would have easily used another ~100W. But again your not going to get a high power gaming card.

whats considered a “high powered gaming card” exactly? im definitely NOT going to get two cards… at least not now. i AM going to be using CS5 tho. i just came across this bundle too from newgg. decent?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?&ItemList=Combo.403082

As stated above, you don’t really need a a new PSU and I would stick with JEDEC compatible RAM to avoid compatibility issues…
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226092
//Danne

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2521012]whats considered a “high powered gaming card” exactly? im definitely NOT going to get two cards… at least not now. i AM going to be using CS5 tho. i just came across this bundle too from newgg. decent?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?&ItemList=Combo.403082[/QUOTE]

You could go with that combo. Personally I would get the new G.skill memory that runs at 1.35V, but that Corsair has good reviews.

I was pointing out that the GTX280 is a high end video card.

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2521083]As stated above, you don’t really need a a new PSU and I would stick with JEDEC compatible RAM to avoid compatibility issues…
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226092
//Danne[/QUOTE]

Actually, a new PSU is strongly recommended even for a basic configuration today. This is because PSUs have a maximum usable lifespan of only three to five years. (The Antec TruePower 2.0 550W is already five years old.) And due to capacitor aging, even if a “good” 550W PSU were four years old it would have delivered less than 300 to 400W at realistic internal PSU temperatures of 45 to 50° C. (And due to CWT’s choice of Fuhjyyu electrolytic capacitors in the TP 2.0 series combined with Antec’s choice of an overly slow fan, don’t expect the TPII-550 today to deliver more than 200W before blowing, especially if that PSU has been in operation for just three or four years of normal use.) And some newer motherboards require an EPS +12V 8-pin connector in order for the system to even work at all.

[QUOTE=RJL65;2521267]Actually, a new PSU is strongly recommended even for a basic configuration today. This is because PSUs have a maximum usable lifespan of only three to five years. (The Antec TruePower 2.0 550W is already five years old.) And due to capacitor aging, even if a “good” 550W PSU were four years old it would have delivered less than 300 to 400W at realistic internal PSU temperatures of 45 to 50° C. (And due to CWT’s choice of Fuhjyyu electrolytic capacitors in the TP 2.0 series combined with Antec’s choice of an overly slow fan, don’t expect the TPII-550 today to deliver more than 200W before blowing, especially if that PSU has been in operation for just three or four years of normal use.) And some newer motherboards require an EPS +12V 8-pin connector in order for the system to even work at all.[/QUOTE]

wow… well thats good info to know… looks like im buying a new power supply then…

eric93se, can you link me to which gskill memory you are talking about. i found a few. not sure which on you were mentioning… ive never used them either. are they good memory? thanks again.

Yes, a good “strong” PSU is needed for those who doesn’t read…
http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/print/gpu-power-consumption-2010.html can be added to the information provided by eric93se above. You have no idea how old the actual PSU really is and if the design is from late 2005 does it really matter? Your new and shiny PSU most likely wont have a 2010 design but probably is certified for something newer than ATX12V 2.0 specs since nothing newer was available at the time. As for getting non standard memory, I can tell you that a coworker bought fancy OCZ “low voltage” memory (http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/memory/ocz_ddr3_pc3_10666_platinum_low_voltage_triple_channel_12gb_edition) and guess what, it didn’t work in a ASUS P7P55D PRO at all. I wouldn’t recommend that motherboard personally but the point is that it’s not worth it most of the time (unless you like to spend hours getting out 3% more FPS in Crysis if it even works). I’m also not sure how 1.65V would be considered low-voltage (specs say 1.5V) but that’s another story.

Reading the comments for G.skill it seems like it’s not even being recognized correctly which is worrisome but if you want to buy a “2nd rate” product go ahead…
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231318&cm_re=g.skill_eco--20-231-318--Product
//Danne

btw, getting a GPU accelerated card for CS5 will set you back ~800 bucks or more :wink:
//Danne

If it were me I would go with G.SKILL ECO Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600, it can run at 1.35V and CL8.

For what your doing this is a good PSU Antec NEO ECO 520C 520W or Antec NEO ECO 620C 620W

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2521453]… if you want to buy a “2nd rate” product go ahead…[/QUOTE]

So what memory would you recommend that wont break the bank?

[QUOTE=DiiZzY;2521454]btw, getting a GPU accelerated card for CS5 will set you back ~800 bucks or more :wink:
//Danne[/QUOTE]

down the road on that one… but definitely in my future.

thanks again

just found this on their memorial day sale… would be $50 shipped AR. seems pretty decent. ive noticed that some power supplies specifically stated for i5/i7 cores… then some dont. is that all marketing? as in my original post, are there certain specs needed for an i7?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052710&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052710--EMC-052710-Index--PowerSupplies-_-17139005-L0C

thanks again

Pure marketing BS. That PSU is a good as well.

[QUOTE=uronmy49311;2521687]just found this on their memorial day sale… would be $50 shipped AR. seems pretty decent. ive noticed that some power supplies specifically stated for i5/i7 cores… then some dont. is that all marketing? as in my original post, are there certain specs needed for an i7?
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139005&nm_mc=EMC-IGNEFL052710&cm_mmc=EMC-IGNEFL052710--EMC-052710-Index--PowerSupplies-_-17139005-L0C

thanks again[/QUOTE]

ok im an idiot… thats the same power supply i posted about earlier… just not a combo. i guess im drawn to it for some reason… might have to pull the trigger…