New Plextor

vbimport

Hello,

I was reading a thread in another cdr forum.

Heres an excerpt ;

(start quote)

"Btw Plextor drives for sure are not crap as you said. The problem behind backups is real, but Plextor drives have showed high durability in past and almost every Plextor user doesn't change its drive for other brand.

Well I guess I'm one of the few because I'll never buy another one!!!!

Well...Lets say that maybe you change your mind in few weeks..."

(end quote)

Does PLextor have something coming in a few weeks?

Originally posted by ntloser
another cdr forum.

Whyyyy? We can change, really :(:wink:

Don’t know of anything new coming from plex

I have a Plextor 241040a - I would very much consider the competition over Plextor for many reasons.

Lite-ons do not have the problem with copy-protection that plextor does (although I do not own any games and would probably never use this feature), but, every drive Plextor brings out is less and less compatible with media. Take a look at the supported media on Plextors site - the x40 supports Kodak (good as dead) but no longer Mitsui - the world leader for quality. It also only supports about 3 brands - and Plextors are much fussier with media than almost every other burner.

What is the point of all this BS i.e calibration this, best write that, when the compatibility with media is so poor and gets worse.

Ice’y

Though I have both a Plextor 24x and a Lite-on 32x (O/C’ed to 48x), I like em both for their own reasons. My Plextor never failed at doing one type of CD (even the new SD2s if I use BetaBlocking), and its DAE and reading are top notch. I like em both, both have their ups and downs.

My two cents,
DFourthHorseman

No Mitsui support?! :eek: Glad I didn’t get the 40x Plextor over my Litey; I went from Plexy 12x to Litey 40x. I use Mistui media almost exclusively, and have been for years now, how could they not support Mitsui’s?? Sheesh, some of the best media out there… :bow:

Originally posted by icey
[B]I have a Plextor 241040a - I would very much consider the competition over Plextor for many reasons.

Lite-ons do not have the problem with copy-protection that plextor does (although I do not own any games and would probably never use this feature), but, every drive Plextor brings out is less and less compatible with media. Take a look at the supported media on Plextors site - the x40 supports Kodak (good as dead) but no longer Mitsui - the world leader for quality. It also only supports about 3 brands - and Plextors are much fussier with media than almost every other burner.

What is the point of all this BS i.e calibration this, best write that, when the compatibility with media is so poor and gets worse.

Ice’y [/B]

Plextor will soon announce a new CD-RW drive with the codename “CD-R PX-W4824A”

I wonder what chipset would this new drive be based on?

I hope that Plextor has finally awakened and come to their senses and will release a drive that make the brand justice!
I believe that their popularity has much to thank forums like this. If you look into the Plex forum and compare it to the Lite-On forum it is easy to see which it is the most active one.
They MUST see that their drives dont sell as much as earlier.

edit/ Of course I´m not sure about their sales, but I´m making a qualified guess /edit

isnt the 40x supposed to have features that make it more supportive of other media? I read that in a review that said it has “VariRec” which is supposed control the strength of the laser to compensate for cheap media and picky drives. This sounds like it should support more. Weird.

Hi,

Well, the plextor 40x in work burns Mitsui media just fine, but plextor do not officially support that many brands of media - pathetic.

So much BS as to what brand they endorse - is should have settings for dye type and manufacturer and you you see how it goes. From memory TDK is supported (I have not rechecked), and if so, that is stupid seeing that TDK vary depending on who actually made them.

2 or 3 years ago most writers would burn at x1/2/4/6 with most media you would throw at it. Nowadays, even if you burn at x4 onto many media types, the plextors are just too fussy.

In all honesty, I would choose media compatibilty and other features above a brand name - plextor was the king, maybe not much longer which is a shame.