New Plextor/Yamaha Comparable CD Burner

vbimport

Now that the Plextor Premium and Yamaha F1 Drives are no longer being made, is there a drive that has comparable burn qualities? I know there is the Premium II, but that is a little out of my price range. And considering that the Plextor and Yamahas were made years ago, do some of the newer drives compare to them? If so which ones? I just want a CD Burner that burns quality audio so I can enjoy them on my stereo.

You can forget features like vari rec & audio master quality recording, in modern dvd-rw drives.

Good cd/dvd writers would be the Optiarc 720xA or 720xS series (A=Atapi S=SATA), after that my next choise would be the Samsung 2003 (i think that they are SATA only).

Hello and welcome to CDFreaks

[QUOTE=bb714;2118900]Now that the Plextor Premium and Yamaha F1 Drives are no longer being made, is there a drive that has comparable burn qualities? I know there is the Premium II, but that is a little out of my price range. And considering that the Plextor and Yamahas were made years ago, do some of the newer drives compare to them? If so which ones? I just want a CD Burner that burns quality audio so I can enjoy them on my stereo.[/QUOTE]

The Plextor Premium II is the top range CD burner you can get. It is better like the Premium and Yamahe CRW-F1. I have all of them and the Plextor Premium II is for me the best of this 3 drives.
Ok the Yamaha is DiskT@2 capable, but this is only a funny feature I really do not need often.
And remember when the Premium and the Yamaha CRW-F1 were on the market this drives were also more expensive than the other CD burners.

Sometimes you can grab a Plextor Premium or Yamaha CRW-F1 used @ebay in more or less good condition for a small money…

So modern drives are good enough to not use AMQR etc? That’s what I’ve been thinking. Cuz people in the future aren’t going to have those cd drives anymore…

To TM: Do you know of any drives that aren’t the F1, or Premium I/II? I found a few Premiums on ebay, but I don’t know if they can be trusted. There were actually a lot of them on ebay stores for $30-50. But I’d rather have a modern drive that can burn comparable results to the F1/Premium.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-SONY-OPTIARC-7201A-20X-LIGHTSCRIBE-IDE-W-SOFTWARE_W0QQitemZ220272648488QQihZ012QQcategoryZ51065QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Is this the optiarc drive you were talking about?

Yes the it’s one of these 3 drives.

7200A
7201A has lightscribe
7203A has labelflash

[QUOTE=bb714;2119123]
To TM: Do you know of any drives that aren’t the F1, or Premium I/II? I found a few Premiums on ebay, but I don’t know if they can be trusted. There were actually a lot of them on ebay stores for $30-50. But I’d rather have a modern drive that can burn comparable results to the F1/Premium.[/QUOTE]

There are not a lot “modern” CD burners anymore. The only modern CD burner I know is the Premium II.

The Premium is also a good CD burner, but I prefer the Premium II. The results are a little bit better IMO. If you find a used Premium in good ondition (not too much burns) you’ll have a reliable drive.

The good point of the Premium / Premium II and Yamaha CRW-F1 is all this burners are capable to make 1x or at least 2x burns to have results with very low jitter. The Premium II and the CRW-F1 is AMQR capable, butat least the results of the Premium II are great without AMQR. You can see it in the legendary Compare thread of the Premium and Premium II.

[QUOTE=vroom;2119138]Yes the it’s one of these 3 drives.

7200A
7201A has lightscribe
7203A has labelflash[/QUOTE]

Out of the drives available these days, I’d pick an NEC/Optiarc for burning audio definitely. My old NEC ND-4551A and newer Optiarc AD-5170S do a great job at this with nice low jitter.

I was never lucky enough to own a Premium/Premium II myself.

I know they are rare but i picked up a [B]new[/B] Premium-U (external Premium) on ebay for $25 usd. My Premium and Premium II were over $100 usd.

Also from reports here they are still making the Premium II and you can get one from Plextor themselves for $100+ usd. Here is the thread > http://club.cdfreaks.com/f43/new-premium2-came-v1-10-firmware-243944/

Thanks for all the responses. I think I’m going to look around for a used Premium on eBay or something and hopefully it won’t break in a month or two.

[QUOTE=vroom;2119010]You can forget features like vari rec & audio master quality recording, in modern dvd-rw drives.[/QUOTE]

What about the PX-760A/SA? Does it support any of the Premium/Premium II features for CD writing? Is it a decent CD writer?

Yes but you can only find the 760 & premium on ebay :wink: also premium II is hard to find (at least here in Greece).

[QUOTE=negritude;2125300]What about the PX-760A/SA? Does it support any of the Premium/Premium II features for CD writing? Is it a decent CD writer?[/QUOTE]Grab a copy of PlexTools and see. No (true) Plextor owner should be without it.

[QUOTE=vroom;2125309]Yes but you can only find the 760 & premium on ebay :wink: also premium II is hard to find (at least here in Greece).[/QUOTE]

Right. My point is that it’s easier to find a PX-755S or PX-760A DVD burner than it is to find a Premium II CD burner, and the 755S or 760A can be found cheaper, so maybe that’s good enough for 95% of what you need to do.

[quote=negritude;2125300]What about the PX-760A/SA? Does it support any of the Premium/Premium II features for CD writing? Is it a decent CD writer?[/quote] The PX-760 supports GigaRec and VariRec for CD-R burning (but not AMQR).

My testing with a limited amount of CD-R media shows, that the PX-760A is among my best drives for CD-R burning, producing burns that often show a flat 7% jitter when scanned in my BenQ DW1655.

Few dedicated CD-RW drives will be able to match that let alone improve upon it.

If you are willing to pay the premium price, you can still purchase the Plextor Premium II from various online shops over here in Germany.

http://geizhals.at/deutschland/a228734.html

Almost all of the shops listed there have the drive in stock, only the beige version though.

Austrian shops have the drive in stock also:

http://geizhals.at/eu/a228734.html

As far as CD burning is concerned, that’s basically the best drive you can get.