New Plextor drives made by LiteOn

vbimport

The colleagues over at www.cdrlabs.com report, that apparently new Plextor drives are on the way. Apparently the original announcement that Plextor would team up with LiteON for future drives seems to come true. You can read more about it here:

No word on pricing. My guess is at least 50% mark-up from the iHAS120 price of ~$29 USD, retail version. Since Plextor has a 20x drive out (Optiarc 7200-series), perhaps they should consider moving to 22x, which is the iHAS322 and iHAS422 (w/LS).

yeah we were discussing this in chat here a couple days ago.

It seems that every drive will be produced by Liteon sooner or later.
And if I think what they did on BenQ drives then it’s no good news at all.

It will be interesting to see if the LiteOn iHAS 120 can be crossflashed to a Plextor PX-806SA, so the “more advanced” functions / utilities provided by Plextor that are mentioned in the CDRLabs article can be used.

Very likely I guess.

There are no “more advanced” Plextor utilities that LiteOn doesn’t have available already…for free.

Probably, but I give them the benefit of doubt.

Good CD scanning would be a plus, for example, although the MediaTek chipset is probably the limiting factor in that area…

[QUOTE=KTL;2128339]No word on pricing. My guess is at least 50% mark-up from the iHAS120 price of ~$29 USD[/QUOTE]

:iagree:

[QUOTE=packetloss;2129152]Probably, but I give them the benefit of doubt.

Good CD scanning would be a plus, for example, although the MediaTek chipset is probably the limiting factor in that area…[/QUOTE]

Dude, you just answered your own question.

@negritude
I deleted your post. I don’t see any reason for you to be so condescending to another user.

***1 post deleted ***

Dude, let us just wait and see what Plextor will do, and then make a judgement. I think that’s a feasible concept, don’t you agree?

Well seems that after some time Plextor gets on moving again. Hope they do it right though!

[QUOTE=packetloss;2129131]It will be interesting to see if the LiteOn iHAS 120 can be crossflashed to a Plextor PX-806SA, so the “more advanced” functions / utilities provided by Plextor that are mentioned in the CDRLabs article can be used.[/QUOTE]

As i see it, these are the possibilities:

a) Plextor lets LiteOn produce drives for them that are 1:1 LiteON drives with the only change that the string “Plextor” is added in the identification-string in the firmware and additionally Plextools is made working with these drives.

b) Plextor lets LiteOn produce drives for them with specially adapted firmware programmed by LiteOn, so the drives offer similar or identical functionality as was offered in their drives with the Sanyo chipset.

c) Plextor lets LiteOn produce drives for them and adds it’s own firmware.

Possibility c) would seem the most atractive but also seems highly unlikely to me because AFAIK Plextor drive development simply is no more, resp. is not big enough anymore to do anything more than simple support and coordination with their OEM.

Option b) would be nice, since this would make the more or less inofficial scanning functions of LiteOn drives fully available (and supported), so no more no jitter-scanning of the second layer and other quirks as the current solutions have. That might be a market niche worth a few extra bucks.

Option a) would be the most boring one. At least it would mean there is one more type of drive available that has scanning abilities and the necessary tools for using it, which would always be welcome.

[QUOTE=hwp;2129391]
Option a) would be the most boring one. At least it would mean there is one more type of drive available that has scanning abilities and the necessary tools for using it, which would always be welcome.[/QUOTE]

This seems the most likely to me. Anyway as you said one more drive with scanning capabilities would be nice. And maybe LiteOn puts in a little more quality in these drives as they will surely be twice as expensive as the normal Liteys.

Why do i have the feeling that plextor will only make plextools able to work with liteon drives?

Lets hope that i am wrong.

It is most likely that this Plextor will be a simple Lite-On clone.
Just dearer.
As for f/w Plextor are capable of producing such.
Their research labs still work with ODD’s.
Again though this is unlikely.
Plextor have stated that they will no longer produce ODD’s for the retail community, but with Lite-On the King of Drives is not dead.
I could argue this last point but the BenQ scenario says it all.
Bad news indeed.

BTW the other functions that may come with the drive will be available for free via Plextools.

[QUOTE=packetloss;2129336]Dude, let us just wait and see what Plextor will do, and then make a judgement. I think that’s a feasible concept, don’t you agree?[/QUOTE]

Plextor already made the choice, now, you have to understand it. :wink:

History and business practices already tell you what will happen. Some are just in denial about what that means.

Plextor China has a product page up:

http://www.plextor.com.cn/product_detail.asp?nid=63

18x ±R
10x ±RDL
8x +RW
6x -RW
12x RAM
40/32/40 CD

Nothing mentioned about scanning or Plextools interoperability. But the current info looks only basic, maybe there will be more later on.

That’s weird, because the iHAS 120, which according to the CDRLabs article this new Plextor drive is based on, is a 20x drive.

I have that Liteon drive myself.

May be there’s a PlexTURBO mode. :bigsmile: