New plextor 712 & NEC 3500A

I’m setting up a new system ( Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor- 1GB DDR 400 PC 3200 Ram -1 80Gig Raptor HD -2 80 Gig Samsung HD’s - 1 Plextor712 DVD drive - 1 Nec3500A DVD drive) Win xp Pro.

My quetions are:

1. How should I configure the DVD drives?
  2. Should I set the DVD drives on seperate controllers?
  3. If Not, which DVD drive should be master and which should be slave?

Any other information on configuring the DVD drives is appreciated.

Thanks much
fireman jay
fireman are always in heat

Save the 712A and go for a dual raptor RAID stripe set … the NEC 3500 will do all you need. :slight_smile:

And, if the “final” 716A proves to be worth it’s money, you can get one.

I would set both DVD drives to master with the samsung HDD’s slaved, BTW

Both my burners are in the same IDE with no problem.
I would set the burners in the same IDE, NEC as master, Plex as slave. Then HDD in the second IDE.

One more question:
I have an extra promise Ultra IDE controler I’m going to put in this box. Question: Would it make sense to put each DVD drive on its own controller (alone by itself) as a master drive? In other words make the two DVD drives masters on their own single controllers?

system ( Asus A8V Deluxe motherboard AMD Athlon 64 3500+ processor- 1GB DDR 400 PC 3200 Ram -1 80Gig Raptor HD -2 80 Gig Samsung HD’s - 1 Plextor712 DVD drive - 1 Nec3500A DVD drive) Win xp Pro. NOT using a Raid array.

It doesn’t makes any different. But if you’re going to put both burners as master:

1. Dont put HDD as slave
  2. Dont put the burners in Promise. Promise is bad for optical drive. http://club.cdfreaks.com/showpost.php?p=559479&postcount=3

If you put both drives on seperate channels it could boost performance when burning on-the-fly, meaning directly from one drive to another. When both drives are on the same channel they share bandwidth and thus, both on seperate channels is better. But, if you’re not going to do this, it makes no difference as zevia already said.

Why not … his main system HDD will be SATA anyway … so it makes no real difference whether his data HDD’s are slaved or not.

I totally agree on the point that optical drives never should be connected to a Promise PCI IDE controller, though … :iagree:

Me too. :slight_smile:

ET