New Plextor 52x34x any chance bit perfect

vbimport

I just saw that Plextor has announced a 52x34x burner. I guess it is too soon to ask if anyone knows if it is bit perfect. But maybe something leaked out. If so, it would be good to know here.:confused:

Ken, knowing you I guess you gonna get your chance to test it before seeing the answers here. :smiley:

You do know me as I do like those newer and faster burners but on this one I can wait.

Ken

PLEXTOR ( America) UNVEILS PREMIUM 52/32/52 CD-R/RW DRIVE WITH INNOVATIVE NEW RECORDING FEATURES

Controls Allow Users to Boost Disc Capacity up to 40% and Create Password Protected Discs

FREMONT, Calif. — April 14, 2003 — Plextor Corp, a leading developer and manufacturer of high-performance CD-related equipment and software, today announced the availability of the PlexWriter™ Premium CD-R/RW drive. The high-speed 3-in-1 drive features 52X CD-Write, 32X CD-Rewrite, and 52X-max CD-Read. Available as an internal 5.25-inch half-height drive with an ATA/ATAPI-5 interface, the new PlexWriter Premium is designed for users who require the highest levels of performance, reliability, and functionality.

PlexWriter Premium includes PlexTools® Professional software to enable a unique combination of user- controllable recording features, including:

*SecuRecâ„¢ offers password protection for discs

*GigaRecâ„¢ allows high capacity storage up to 1 GB on a 700 MB disc

*Q-Checkâ„¢ checks and graphs the results of written disc quality - C1/C2 errors, track and focus errors, and beta/jitter errors

*Silent Modeâ„¢ enables users to vary tray load/unload speed, spin up/down speed and write/read speeds.

*PoweRecâ„¢ allows for superior quality and stable recording at maximum speed.

*VariRecâ„¢ allows adjustment of the laser power to produce the highest quality audio recording possible

“The new PlexWriter Premium gives our customers an unparalleled level of granular control over the CD-recording process,” said Howard Wing, vice president of sales and marketing for Plextor. “SecuRec, for instance, was specifically designed to respond to the needs of financial, legal, security, and government institutions who can’t afford to have their data compromised. This user-controllable feature was developed by Plextor when customers expressed interest in creating CDs that can be read only with some form of security intervention.”

PlexWriter Premium CD-R/RW Drive

The PlexWriter Premium drive makes installation faster and easier than ever before. The drive is designed for flexible PC installation, with ATA/ATAPI-5 interface, support for horizontal or vertical drive bay orientation, and Plug & Play compatibility with Microsoft Windows® 95/98/ME/2000/XP™ operating systems.

The unit features an 8MB data buffer and burst data transfer rates of 16.6 MB/sec (PIO Mode 4/DMA Mode 2) or 33.3 MB/sec (UDMA Mode 2). Superior 40X digital audio extraction (DAE) eliminates pops, clicks, and hisses for superior sound quality. All PlexWriter drives support a wide variety of CD writing modes, including Track-at-Once, Disc-at-Once, Session-at-Once, Multi session, and variable/fixed packet writing.

Software Bundle - Roxio® Easy CD Creator™ and PhotoSuite®
Plextor’s bundled software package offers ease-of-use and extensive functionality. The PlexWriter Premium ships with the Easy CD Creator/DirectCD software package from Roxio, Inc. Roxio’s number one selling CD-recording software allows users to drag and drop files to CD-R and CD-RW media. Easy CD Creator includes DirectCDâ„¢ (packet writing), CD pre-mastering, one-button CD copier, and the ability to create enhanced and mixed-mode CDs. Easy CD Creator also provides the ability to create music CDs, photo slide shows synchronized with music, data CDs, and backup copies of personal discs.

Roxio PhotoSuite allows consumers to capture, organize, edit and share digital photos. It includes simple electronic albums and a combination of automated and advanced photo-editing tools. Consumers can also print and share online or quickly E-mail them without leaving the program.

The PlexWriter Premium drive also includes a 30-day trial version of Dantz Retrospect®. Built on patented technologies, the Dantz Retrospect family of backup products has earned numerous awards for protecting vital information on file servers, business-critical application servers, desktops, and notebooks.

Pricing and Availability
The Plextor PlexWriter Premium drive is scheduled for shipment to distributors and resellers in North and South America in late April 2003. The Premium drive has a Manufacturer’s Suggested Retail Price (MSRP) of $129.00 USD. All retail packages include unlimited toll-free technical support and one-year full warranty. Reservations for the Premium drive are now being accepted at www.plextorshop.com.

Sounds like a good burner. Shame it comes with EZCD.

Originally posted by Chriso
Sounds like a good burner. Shame it comes with EZCD.

Well, that’s in the US of A . But since you’re in the UK, you have nothing to worry about ,
'coz it’ll be packed like this > CD-Recording software Nero+InCD :wink:

looks very promising.
now an SCSI flavour and it would be absolutely perfect

Originally posted by Maelstrom
now an SCSI flavour and it would be absolutely perfect

I’ve actually emailed Plextor USA about any newer (faster) SCSI burner, and the person who responded was rather disturbed since he adamantly stated that the 40/12/40S was just released. Also, he didn’t divulge any work product information.

I had thought about getting the 40/12/40S after selling my 12/4/32S, but after reading your review, I’m hesistant, since I don’t want one that will break down, as my old 12/4/32S never did. :confused:

About time Plextor America included Plextools. It looks like the 52x will only get Plextools (see http://www.plextor.com/english/products/product_boxcontent.html). My 24x came with Plextor Manager 2000 but I never used it (I used Plextools of course). I bet the 52x came with the trial version of Roxio, like the one they included with my drive.

Now my #1 question: Will it choke on weak sectors like its predecessor?

There is exactly one way to find it out: trying it…

…or by waiting for the review of the drive… :wink:

And, before anyone asks, no we haven’t received the drive yet.

just about to ask if you already received the drive :wink:

i had the 40/12/40S drive, but the performance wasn’t that good and it broke down in only two weeks time.
so im realy looking forward to a newer faster and most importand better SCSI writer from plextor.

i think that plextor is the only one that is going to produce SCSI drives so all my hope lay in their hands.

Have you contacted Plextor about its MTBF stats? Did they have any responses? It is sad to see that it failed. Despite jumping from a 12X to 40X, I also had hoped it’d be at least 48/24/48. So the next version will probably be something like 120X… :stuck_out_tongue:

120x!!! Do you want people to die of exploding CD-Rs? lol

They said middle or late april. I say its about that now bring on the new drive :eek:

Originally posted by KTL
Have you contacted Plextor about its MTBF stats? Did they have any responses? It is sad to see that it failed. Despite jumping from a 12X to 40X, I also had hoped it’d be at least 48/24/48. So the next version will probably be something like 120X… :stuck_out_tongue:

120 speed :eek:

do you got a death wish!
parts of the cd wil fly around the place at that speed :cop:

unless of course you used 3 lasers at once all burning at 40x :slight_smile:

11:51 Tuesday 15th April 2003, source : [COLOR=purple]ZDNet (UK) [/COLOR]

The Plextor Premium claims to get 1.2 gigabytes of data onto a blank disc,
up to 40 percent more than a standard disc, but the disks may not be playable on CD drives

Plextor has announced a new CD-RW drive that can squeeze 40 percent more data into standard blank discs.

The Plextor Premium can pack in 980MB of data into a 700MB (80 minute) disc and 1.2GB into an 880MB (99 minute) disc, according to Plextor.

The GigaRec option in the bundled PlexTools software, working with the drive’s hardware, can accomplish this.

Compression is achieved by burning smaller-than-normal pits or holes into the surface of a blank disc – up to 40 percent smaller, thus allowing it to pack in 40 percent more data, according to enthusiast sites.

Plextor did not give details on the process, and could not be reached for comment.

Such “compressed” discs may not be playable on CD drives, however. Due to the special nature of the pits, a standard drive’s laser may not to able to read them properly.

The drives will ship in worldwide in May at an undisclosed price. The Premium line will ship as a standard internal IDE drive and as an external USB 2.0 unit. They will feature 52 times read and write-once speeds, and a 32 times speed for rewritable media.

For some time now, enthusiasts have been able to squeeze in between 10 to 20 percent more data than the rated capacity of a disc by “overburning”, or writing data onto portions of a discs normally left untouched. However, such discs often cannot be read by drives.

For some time now, enthusiasts have been able to squeeze in between 10 to 20 percent more data than the rated capacity of a disc by “overburning”, or writing data onto portions of a discs normally left untouched. However, such discs often cannot be read by drives.
Do you speak about Mode 2 Form 2? Most drives read that, except for the LG 16x DVD-ROM
:Z

btw, on doom9 people already believe that it would be a good idea to use Mode 2 Form 2 in connection with GigaRec and burn 1.4 GB on a 99min disc…

Originally posted by alexnoe

Do you speak about Mode 2 Form 2?

btw, on doom9 people already believe that it would be a good idea to use Mode 2 Form 2 in connection with GigaRec and burn 1.4 GB on a 99min disc…

Alex, you should always refer to whom you have in mind.

And what do you believe ? As far as I can recall, just for month ago you [COLOR=purple]here were saying like this :[/COLOR]

Originally posted by alexnoe

We’ll see on how many drives gigarec recorded discs can be read…