New Plextor 48/24/48 firmware released V 1.02

Hi!
Plextor released a new firmware for the 48/24/48a drive V1.02
http://www.plextor.co.jp/support/firmware/4824a_102.exe
Regards
Bozze

Thanks for the info!!!

Perhaps it will fix SD 2.51 issue with AWS!
Any news about that?

And the cds 200 issue, i hope.

a friend of mine bought this drive… and i read in some tests that it wasnt able to burn 90/99min CDs… maybe this is also fixed now… :bigsmile:

All Plextor drives can write till 94min and several seconds! It’s a mechanical limitation and can’t be fixed with a firmware update!

CloneCD AWS Results:

Here are some test results from my Plextor PX-W4824TU drive (which is exactly the same drive as the A [internal] version only using the USB 2.0 interface). With firmware v1.02:

[ul][li]Mafia CD1 SafeDisc v2.70.030, AWS enabled: back-up fails in Toshiba 1502 DVD-ROM, back-up works in drive itself
[/li][li]GTA3 CD2 SafeDisc v2.51.021, AWS enabled: back-up fails in Toshiba 1502 DVD-ROM, back-up works in drive itself[/ul]Media Compatibility:
[/li]
Written some no-name cheap ass discs (Gigabyte Storage Type 2) which normally were written at 24X (using firmware 1.01). They were now written at 40X (using CloneCD) but the disc had loads of errors according to CD Speed’s CD Quality Test. Then tried another disc from the same spindle and that disc was written at 20X but had no errors. So same conclusion as in my review: stick to recommended or quality media for this Plextor drive.

The Plextor PX-W4824A can overburn to around 94 minutes. This Nero CD Speed test was also verified with an actual burn using the previous firmware v1.01 but I couldn’t upload a picture of that:

nope… the Plextor PX-W4824A was not able to burn more than about 80Min with fw1.01!
i tried out on the computer of my friend (he has the black edition… dont know if this does matter)…
the disc we used was a Platinum 90Min… and we did also the overburning test with CDSpeed

Platinum 90min :eek: What do you wonder about? Here they are likely to be Digital Storage Technology, which seems to be the worst media on earth.
Use better media.

The thing with “mechanical limits” doesn’t make any sense.

I don’t know if the merging bit generator is hardcoded or a firmware issue. If it’s hardcoded, then the SD2.51 thing can’t be fixed.

alexnoe
i think it can’t overcome 95min due to a laser pickup limitation rather than a firmware issue!

Originally posted by alexnoe
Platinum 90min :eek: What do you wonder about? Here they are likely to be Digital Storage Technology, which seems to be the worst media on earth.
Use better media.

but i made for example only test burn with CDSpeed… so i dont think it was a media problem…

FiReKiLL you probably only did a transfer rate test. You need to do an overburn test. How can you conclude the drive doesn’t overburn just from one test? The Plextor can overburn, simple as that. If it doesn’t work for you you must probably be doing something wrong. Check this Nero screenshot of an actual overburn done with the Plextor. This is about the maximum you can get with the Plextor drives:

lol… of course i did a overburn test. :slight_smile:

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Check this Nero screenshot of an actual overburn done with the Plextor.

yep… it seems that it works now… but it didn´t work with the old firmware… which was my question in fact… if i works now.

Well actually that screenshot was made with the previous firmware version 1.01…

Originally posted by G@M3FR3@K
Well actually that screenshot was made with the previous firmware version 1.01…

ok… i did the test with firmware 1.00 on the writer…

Even with testburn, it can be a media issue, if the pregroove is so crappy that the drive looses the track. And for DST media, this is absolutely possible.

95 vs 99 is not a physical limit! Why should it? Has anyone realized that the 95min mark on a 99min CD is not as far out as when overburning a normal CD? Every CD has a diameter of 120mm at most.