New PC: is this setup right for me?

I know, I know…
Everyone wants to know if their system is the right one…so I thought I’d give it a try too…

Background
My current PC is 4 years old with components even older than that (Plextor SCSI drives, and 80GB Maxtor disks)…of which I think they occasionally cause incompatibility issues. So my aim is a fresh system with none of the old components.

My use
I am not a gamer, so no heavy specs on that part. I am keen on quality and reliability, which results in compatibility. My main use is surfing, which doesn’t require much. But I like to rip CDs to MP3 (so it must read copy protections) and copy an occasional DVD (so it must be able to beat those protections too). I might consider video editing (nothing fancy) and the PC must have TV capabilities (my monitor has a TV tuner built in, but currently I cannot watch TV and use the computer at the same time).

Proposed setup
I of course did some research and found some things that I like. It is 20% over my budget, but I think I can handle that. And I look forward to your suggestions and comments. Below the setup I have in mind:

Motherboard MSI P55-GD65
CPU Core i7 860
Memory Low Voltage OCZ3P1333LV4GK (2x = 8GB)
Case Antec Performance One P183 Black
Hard disk Samsung Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ, 1TB
CPU Fan Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus
Power Cooler Master Silent Pro M600
DVD drive Lite-On iHAS324
Graphics Asus EAH5770/2DIS/1GD5/A
TV Card Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1300
Card reader Scythe Kama Reader 2
OS Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium (NL OEM 64bit)

Thanks for all suggestions/comments.

Yo Tax-

That is one hella system - I would certainly go with it-eh!!

Looks like a great setup Tax but I’d add another 1TB HDD…
And you can always sell your body for the extra bucks if things get too tight…:smiley:

I think the safest and surest software for dealing with protection when ripping and copying is still that produced by Slysoft. Not cheap, but has never failed me yet. You´ll need AnyDvd and CloneDvd2, and possibly CloneCd.

I´m also a fan of running two HD´s…but TB drives make me a bit nervous. That´s a lot of stuff to lose if it craps out. As long as your back-ups are good though…
Thought about putting your OS on an SSD? Is that feasible?

Thanks for the comments.
I already have one external HDD of 750GB…which should be enough for safekeeping my data… SSD sounds nice, but also expensive…

After these comments and the suggestions in the chatbox last night, I think I’ll start ordering the stuff…I just hope it is all delivered before the weekend…otherwise I do not have much time anymore to build it and play with it :wink:

with small modifications to the above setup due to inavailability (graphics card is a different version number, specs are the same & TV card is the 2200 model now)…and added Office 2007 Home & Student…

Thanks for all the tips. I can’t wait for all the stuff to arrive…

I’d add another DVD drive (hey, someone had to say it!) - as if you like to back up your DVDs, it’s nice to have a dedicated source drive/reader, and a dedicated burner. :slight_smile:

EDIT: Plus, as every CDFreak/MyCE member knows - one drive can hopefully cover the other’s weaknesses. :wink:

Thought about 2 drives…but I only have 1 DVD drive now (BenQ1640)…and that worked…so I decided not to put in too much equipment…
Who knows, I might add a blu ray further down the line…

Excellent job of putting together a system that’s future upgrade friendly but unlikely to have you feeling any need to upgrade for a bit :clap:.
Hoping that someone steered you towards the iHAS324-08/09 in chat. The Optiarc AD-7240 that Lite-on is now selling as the iHAS324 is a very decent drive, but not quite as good all-around as the original MTK model for me :).
Separate partitions for OS/programs, DVD copy, data/downloads, and TV recordings is helpful to minimize fragging if you weren’t already planning on it.

Based on your needs, you don’t really have to get an i7 CPU, that is more costly and there is not really a big advantage compared to an i5 CPU.

My suggestions are the following:

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-P55A-UD4 or, if you need a double LAN card onboard, GA-P55A-UD4P. Except for the dual LAN card, these two mainboards are identical.

CPU Core i5 750 (currently the best compromise between price and performance)

Hard disk This one to install operative system, and this or this for data storage. I suggest to keep separate disks for operative system-programs and for data. Creating separate partitions on the same disk for operative system and for data reduces performance.

CPU Fan Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 This cooler is highly efficient and very silent. And it’s not huge like overclocker coolers, so you don’t need a larger case :bigsmile:

Graphics MSI N210-MD512H. This card has a passive cooling, so no noise :bigsmile:

OS Microsoft Windows 7 Professional (NL OEM 64bit). If you need to use some software that run only in XP, you need the Professional version. If not, then the Home Premium is ok :slight_smile:

About these components, I think that your choices are good, but maybe someone can give you better suggestions :slight_smile:
Memory Low Voltage OCZ3P1333LV4GK (2x = 8GB)
Case Antec Performance One P183 Black
Power Cooler Master Silent Pro M600
DVD drive Lite-On iHAS324
TV Card Hauppauge WinTV HVR-1300
Card reader Scythe Kama Reader 2

Thanks Geno…everything has been ordered already…
And I have no idea whether I have any programs that only run on WinXP…guess I’ll find out soon :wink:

But your suggestions are appreciated…
Even though my use does not warrant the exact specs listed above, I am a bit anal about having good stuff…I always want a bit more than I need…same goes for house, car…and women…but the latter is something I have not been able to satisfy yet (don’t have enough money to ‘buy’ those :p)

When my system came in (much like yours) Vista came later so I installed XP pro first, the Vista came in and my system was dual boot XP and Vista; now updated to Windows 7; my system is XP and Windows 7. I hardly ever boot in XP as XP doest not use my 8Gb of Ram. I use multiple drives C=500Gb 7200; D=1Tb 5400 plus 500Gb 5400 external; 2 DVD drives 1 LG, 1 LiteOn.

Don’t forget to post a pic of the new beast once installed :bigsmile:

A small pic from the inside of my new PC.
Will post a pic of the outside later (once my desk is cleaned :wink: )

Thanks again for all your tips!

Very nice and clean installation :bigsmile:

The inside of my PC is a mess :eek: