New PC built... but no POST, help!

I’m whipping together a new PC and I’ve come across a problem with my mobo: no POST. I’ve stripped the system down to CPU, heatsink and RAM (tried without RAM also), started it up on cardboard and antistatic bag, and I’ve got no beeps to even indicate that the mobo’s alive HOWEVER when I switch on, the fan for the CPU (and the case fan if I connect it) spins, indicating that power’s going through. I’ve also tried the videocard on there to see if a signal’s going to the PC just to be anal.

I’m wondering if I’ve missed something here, much like if you have the jumper for CMOS on pins 2&3 as opposed to 1&2… I’m not aware of anything else that can be botched like this but then I’m an amateur.

If it’s relevant, the case that I’m startring it up with won’t switch off when I push the button, it only switches on - but I don’t know if that’s somethng that can just happen with some cases anyway; my current PC doesn’t switch off ‘just like that’ if I push the button, it goes through the shut down process first.

If this is a motherboard problem, can anyone recommend seeing if a PC shop to do a diagnostic on it? Are these things often fixable or should I look at getting a new mobo?

Other than that, suggestions for how I might have missed something would be great.

Specs are:
MSI 865PE Neo 2 Platinum motherboard (specs here)
Value Select DDR 400 512 MB RAM
Intel Celeron D processor, 2.4 GHz, socket 478
Radeon 9250 128mb 8x AGP video card

Thanks for looking, thanks even more if you can help! :bow:

sounds like you did things right and the board may be bad but to be sure check how the cpu and RAM was inserted

Had a problem something like yours except had auto shutdown after a few seconds - cpu not firmly inserted

Yeah, I’ve actually taken the CPU out and put it back in to double check… what do you reckon about a diagnostic… are things usually easy to fix?

to bench test (a minimal setup)

1. clear cmos & and check all jumpers
  2. place mobo on foam
  3. insert cpu, mount heatsink/fan
  4. insert ram
  5. place setup on mobo box with foam between box and bottom of mobo/
    allow room for overhang of vid card
  6. insert vid card/hook monitor and keyboard up
  7. hook PS to mobo
  8. take small screwdriver and short power on connectors on mobo

note there will be no beeps

if it posts go into bios and check settings, if good finish assembly

note we had one computer that wouldn’t post when assembled, a short
in a poorly assembled front usb port

Tried, but still no joy. New mobo it is then!

that’s why you gotta have 2 of everything to bench test, man I really sweated my first
personal amd64/939 build with a refurb mobo, is it the mobo or the cpu

tripped power supplies have probably caused me more grief with bad mobo/cpu combinations than anything

Well I’m gonna get another mobo from the same company I got the first one from and see what happens, all will be clear then - if it appears dead too, it’s the CPU. I suppose it’s a really good idea to get a spare super cheap & crappy mobo and CPU testing, providing you’re always building a PC with the same socket type!

I only do amd and that keeps changing so fast.
Skipped the 754 socket.

I went for 478, basically because the mobo was really cheap and had great specs.

My current, soon-to-be-obsolete (or rather going to my son) 1.3GHz CPU PC is a socket A on the mobo. Until then, I’m dreaming of my 2.4 GHz speeds - I don’t want anything special as I use my consoles for gaming - the PC’s just for burning, documents and multimedia (that said, multimedia covers a lot of stuff).

We just confirmed dvdshrink is multithreaded, dualcore amd rules, and I’ll be ready when the price drops.

bigest fear when building a computer is one of many parts is defective and the thing will not post. If you can use some parts you know are good it is a bit easier (CPU, RAM, Video card, good monitor). You don’t need much to check if it will post, Don’t give up I had to keep try to seat the CPU on one board 5 times till I got it to post even when all the other parts were tested good, In you frustration be sure to turn power off before removing or attaching anything (I killed one MB by changing keyboards with power on. Be sure to ground yourself. If you can order a second MB then return the bad one for your money back. I gave up one one DIF maniboard and put it away for 4 months only to give it one more try and it works fine now

antistatic bags are only antistatic on the inside… the outside will build up static and will kill a board.

i would never suggest to run a board in any config other than installed in a case. foam can build up static also. the motherboard standoffs connect to the case which grounds to the 3rd prong on the power cord. that is the only safe way to keep from killing the board while testing.

http://www.xtremepccentral.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-339.html

thanks for a useless post from a bunch of internet punks!

tell your MBD supplier that you tried to run the motherboard sitting on top of the static bag and see what you chances are for getting a replacement board.

you can do a lot of things in the world and sometimes they will work… that doesn’t mean they always will or that it is a smart idea.

When I got into this back in 97 the first book and only book I ever read about
building a system, hopelessly out of date, showed a bench setup, been doing it ever since. I don’t have a static wristband or stand on a rubber mat.
I buy and build a lot of refurb mobos and I have found it’s a lot smarter to
test before putting them in the case. New(not refurb), I don’t usually bother,
Internet punks include engineers? If you’re troubleshooting an especially
difficult repair you’re much better off with the mobo out of the case. You have
a very badly flawed concept of static electricity.

BTW like I said earlier I use the foam pad not the static bag, mounting cpu, heat sink and ram. 8 yrs building systems

Oh great, now I know - several sites recommended this too y’know. The supplier won’t know that I did this, plus it’s likely that the board was dead before I did it. Let’s just hope I didn’t fry the processor. I hear a lot about cardboard start-ups… is it OK to just do it on cardboard then?

cardboard with foam on top

"Black wires from power supply are logic ground for
motherboard and peripherals. Notice an adjective before each
ground. All grounds are unique. And all grounds connect back
to the breaker box - for human safety. How we interconnect
those grounds can cause or avoid other problems.

As described, there is no reason for the missing chassis
ground to cause hardware failure. Such comments are more
typically from one who sees something different - and assumes
that is sufficient to blame the something different. Some
people have little comprehension of ground. For example, many
fail to understand the number one reason why we inteconnect
the different grounds - human safety."

Well, tried a new mobo and no joy, which leads me to believe that this processor is screwed - I don’t know how seeing as it’s brand new. But what if it’s not? Could it be something else?

I don’t know what the hell I’m going to do, I have to have it ready by Christmas for my son to have the this one and we’re skint as hell, I can’t pay for a diagnosis.

Hey try read this
http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mainboard/mbd/pro_mbd_detail.php?UID=556
Seem like the combination of your fsb of 533 with your ddr400 ram doenst work.
Try use a ddr333 o ddr266.
Sorry for the bad english

it should auto clock down at 333