New Panasonic BDR Media

vbimport

Hello, I have some questions regarding Panasonic Media. Before I bought a pack of ten BDR-DL discs that I already burned, so I was thinking on buying a new pack.

The pack was labeled as LM-BR50LT10N, it was a 4x tough coat (no 50 years archival). Now I’m also finding a new pack with same specs under the label LM-BR50LH10N. Is this new? which one is better? Is there anything better than these? (taking out the archival line which I found to be too expensive)

There’s also this one, it’s rated 6x, and displays the black packaging more associated with quality products from Panasonic. I wonder if these are better… the thing is they are only “hard coat” which IIRC is the previous branding before the tough coat thing.

OK, as usual, self response, the LT10N is the “newer” model. Link

Now this is me thinking by my own, but it occurred to me that the H in LH10N is from HARD COAT and the T in LT10N is from TOUGH COAT, despite both being sold as tough coat (you can see both written in the packaging). Hell I feel smart lol

Panasonic doesnt give away much info, as always…

It’s quite a mess what they got. The chart they have for blank BDR must be old/outdated. They don’t show these models for example, only the black line.

Now a note I didn’t get to realize since I was focusing on the 50Gbs units. On the 25Gb ones there’s the same distinction/issue. It says:

2011å¹´10æœˆç™»å ´ã®æ–°ãƒ‘ãƒƒã‚±ãƒ¼ã‚¸ã€‚20枚で2980円。(ビックカメラ)
表に日本製表記はありませんが、初回分は日本製でした。
2012å¹´11æœˆã«ãƒ“ãƒƒã‚¯ã‚«ãƒ¡ãƒ©å¤§å®®åº—ã«ã¦è¿½åŠ è³¼å…¥ã€‚ï¼ˆ1980円)

New package first seen on October 2011 at Big Camera.
No seal of Made in Japan, but this first batch indeed is.
Adquired on November 2012 in Oomiya’s Big Camera.

I found the list for all the panasonic blank media blurays in its japanese web.

Great place to check what are the the discs to go (50gb x6 there!). At least if you manage well in japanese. I will consider this the official list. Curiously they don’t show the LM-BR50LH10N one, or any of the hard coat so one is to think that’s because they are already outdated.

A bit more surfing and bang!:
http://ctlg.panasonic.jp/product/info.do?pg=04&hb=LM-BR50LH10N

LM-BR50LH10N production terminated.

Dog, thanks for the Japanese translation. How significant is the notation “no seal MADE IN JAPAN”? Where is this note - on the packaging? Does Oomiya’s Big Camera originate this note? (I assume Big Camera is merely a retailer - or is it a national chain of retailers?)

Or is this Japanese quote part of a product review, or from a forum’s comments?

Thjanks for the translation. ¿Se puede traducir portugués?

I’m gonna use my rough Google-translator-to-English skills to say that

On the media packaging itself, it lacks a note that the media is made in Japan. In other words, there is no country of origin listed–or if it IS listed, it is not made prominent. (I believe I remember “Made in Japan” being prominently featured on some media in the past; not sure if this applies to the situation at hand).

@Christine: the Japanese comes from the YSS page. I’m not sure how to describe it; I’m not sure if it’s one person or multiple people working to keep the site up-to-date with all sorts of independent tests and such. But it falls into the category of a review site, and I refer to it frequently for little bits of information on various drives. The site typically exposes information that the average person wouldn’t know otherwise.

But anyway, YSS makes note that this part of the labeling is missing. It’s equivalent to someone here at Myce finding out that the packaging has changed and having others verify origin, etc by the necessary means.

On the page Dogway linked in post #2, just below the entry for that item with the note Dog mentioned in post #4, there is an entry for a Panasonic disc made in India that shows the sticker stating country of origin (“Indo”, or インド).

@Albert: Yes there is one made in India but it personally doesn’t affect me since it only happens on the 25Gb packs, you can check that as well in the official page, it’s the only one without seal of made in Japan.

@ChristineBCW: yes, big camera is a national chain, a big one for electronics.

It wasn’t as so before, but now is becoming quite a bit difficult to buy the LM-BR50LT10N pack with an affordable price. They either want to sell you the x2 rated speed, the old package LH one, or re-packaged discs.

According to my industry sources, Panasonic is going to completely outsource the production of their BD-R SL to Moser Baer India (MBIL). Also, some Panasonic BD-R DL and RE media are already being produced by MBIL.

Oh well, all down the drain so it seems. :-X

[QUOTE=pepst;2693074]Also, some Panasonic BD-R DL and RE media are already being produced by MBIL.[/QUOTE]
Is there evidence of this (BD-R DL)? If so first time I hear/see it, and packaging with nihonsei would be against law.

…which law??

[QUOTE=pepst;2693074]According to my industry sources, Panasonic is going to completely outsource the production of their BD-R SL to Moser Baer India (MBIL). Also, some Panasonic BD-R DL and RE media are already being produced by MBIL.[/QUOTE]

I hope not. I am sure the quality is not going to be as good.

[QUOTE=infini;2693839]I hope not. I am sure the quality is not going to be as good.[/QUOTE]

Me too!

In fact I’ve just started trying out Falcon Pros as a fall back position just in case this is true. I’ll stop using Panasonics as soon as it is confirmed. Particularly if the premium price they charge remains the same.

Regardless of price, if this move is made I’m dumping them. It’s good that this was reported so that I know not to buy Panasonics if they’re not made in Japan.
I guess Sony is the next best thing ?

Sony uses Ritek media now.

[QUOTE=Dogway;2692872]OK, as usual, self response, the LT10N is the “newer” model. Link

Now this is me thinking by my own, but it occurred to me that the H in LH10N is from HARD COAT and the T in LT10N is from TOUGH COAT, despite both being sold as tough coat (you can see both written in the packaging). Hell I feel smart lol[/QUOTE]

The reality guys is that nothing is new and there is never “2011” “2012” or “2013” version like some sellers like to label their titles. The discs have the same MID code, the same “Though Coat” technology but a different package or model number so technically all the discs are the same. This is pure marketing but nothing new on the discs.

Something new happened years ago when TDK released “Hard Coat” technology instead of “Durabis” that’s a major change but since then only the package changes, common users actually thinks discs with new package are “fresh” “newer” discs but more conscious users (probably only a mere 5%) come here to this forum to find out the truth.

Another big change and not announced is new verbatim discs (50gb) with MID code from panasonic. I can’t really tell if the discs kept the original hard coat developed by Verbatim or they have adopted Panasonic “Though Coat” too.

If the MID codes changes we can talk about something new on the discs but we haven’t notice any new MID code in years. Instead burners have adapted to current MID codes and compatibilities issues are in a minimum levels.

[QUOTE=pepst;2693074]According to my industry sources, Panasonic is going to completely outsource the production of their BD-R SL to Moser Baer India (MBIL). Also, some Panasonic BD-R DL and RE media are already being produced by MBIL.[/QUOTE]

This is in part truth, some models of 25GB Panasonic discs are being made in india but this is not new, its almost 2 years since then but all 50GB discs are made in japan however I believe that a small quantity of 50gb discs are on the market too. Panasonic will not outsource completely to India, instead they are becoming an OEM manufacturer for Maxell, JVC and recently Verbatim for their 50GB discs.

50GB discs made by Taiwanese companies like CMC are not yet so reliable for Japanese brands to adopt them, JVC and TDK tried years ago and it was a mistake (we got lots of complaints) and I don’t think Japanese makers will transfer technology to their outsourcers.

The rumor we heard (from one provider) its that TDK soon will outsource to Panasonic (50gb) but we are not sure yet.

The Panasonic discs (25gb only) made in India are a choice because there is still plenty of the same models made in Japan so we never sourced these Indian discs and we don’t know the MID code but I can check it and post it here soon for you to know.

[QUOTE=aiolos;2693880]Regardless of price, if this move is made I’m dumping them. It’s good that this was reported so that I know not to buy Panasonics if they’re not made in Japan.
I guess Sony is the next best thing ?[/QUOTE]

Sony BD-R DL 50GB discs are made by Panasonic for more than 4 years. panasonic is the only manufacturer keeping production in japan and their discs are so far the best. Some 25gb discs were outsourced to india as a “test” I believe but panasonic still making discs in Japan.

After the releasing of the bluray format in japan Sony have their own MID code the last I recall (Sony-ES1-002) for 25gb discs i dont remember the 50gb discs anymore but since then all its outsourced.

The good about Panasonic is that even their 25Gb discs are made in Japan, the best of the best but its better to ask the seller about it. Some Sony 25gb discs are also made in japan but some limited models released especially to be sold by big electronic stores only.

Hello j-stop. You mean that even packages with “Made in Japan” seals could be produced in India? in that case it wouldn’t be very legit to sell something promoted otherwise. Or, as I firstly assumed, the ones made in India are the ones lacking the mentioned production seal? In such case even while sharing MID code you are able to tell which is which just by looking at the package.

Another concern about “new” is also the thought of buying new stock, freshly produced instead of old dust-collecting batchs. So packaging and product codes can be a reference in this regard.