New P-ATA/DVD-Burner Slimline needed: BRAND?comparison

vbimport

OK, so I’ve got 2 Laptops here still using P-ATA/IDE - but the DVD-Drivers in both are dead,:frowning: guess just old and used.

However, so besides the porblem that the list of available P-ATA-DVD-SlimLine-Burners is allready rather sort - I’m stuck with the BrandProblem: some posts saying Sony’s the Worst, then LG, Samsung, NEC are the best.
Then again since NECs been bought by Sony there not alike anymore…
Furthermore the Firmware only gets updated with Sony since there the only not mainly supplying the OEM-sector…:confused::Z

the Point is I’m pretty lost…
Perhaps, somebody could streighten things up for me and even recommend some drives
:bow:Thanks, for any Help

Have a look here : http://forum.gravure-news.com/petit-test-de-graveurs-slim-vt30585.htm

some Optiarc slim drives are not so bad, AD-7590A for exemple :cool:
Pioneer DVR-KD08 is quite good too, but firmware support ???

Ok, so I tried to translate the post since it’s French…:a

So thanks to :bow: [B]Lithium [/B]form [B]forumDOTgravure-newsDOTcom[/B]:
…could it be the same guy…:disagree:

Hi everybody,

I’m allowing myself to post here the scanns I made on burning-media with different SlimeLine Burners…to perhaps help make a choice between portability and quality of burners.

I’ve included certain “not slimline” Models for comparison.
The burns have been made at 8x(maximum speed) with the SlimeLine-Drives while for the other Drivers at varying burning-speeds.
I made those burns with media I found working and not having all burners under my own hands, so erverything isn’t realy comparable

[B][U]Slims :[/U][/B]
Optiarc AD-7590A (firmware 1.05), 8x
Pioneer DVRKD08 (1.00), 8x
Pioneer DVRTS08 (Q81F => firmware is latest anounced), 8x
Plextor PX-608AL (1.01, rebranded model Pioneer DVRKD06 I think), 8x
Samsung SN-S083A (SB01, model’s identically to TSST TS-L633A but the firmwares differ), 8x
Matsushita UJ-870 (1.00, identically to UJ-850 but the firmwares differ), 8x

[B][U]“Full size” : [/U][/B]
Optiarc AD-7241S, 16x
Optiarc AS-7203S (1.09), 12x
Pioneer DVR-216L (1.09), 8x
Samsung SH-S223F (SB03) 18x
BenQ DW1650 (BCIC) (WOPC on, SB off)

The Matsushita UJ-870 beats the Samsung in reagards to: quality, noiss and speed - Unusual Situation !

Found it nerverrecking :a to visit every Link, so hope you can [B]forgive me[/B] if put the results online right here…

[B][U]Slims :[/U][/B]
Optiarc AD-7590A (firmware 1.05), 8x

Pioneer DVRKD08 (1.00), 8x

Pioneer DVRTS08 (Q81F => firmware is latest anounced), 8x

Plextor PX-608AL (1.01, rebranded model Pioneer DVRKD06 I think), 8x

Samsung SN-S083A (SB01, model’s identically to TSST TS-L633A but the firmwares differ), 8x

Matsushita UJ-870 (1.00, identically to UJ-850 but the firmwares differ), 8x

[B][U]“Full size” : [/U][/B]
Optiarc AD-7241S, 16x

Optiarc AS-7203S (1.09), 12x

Pioneer DVR-216L (1.09), 8x

Samsung SH-S223F (SB03) 18x

BenQ DW1650 (BCIC) (WOPC on, SB off)

[B]Tanks[/B] again [B]Lithium[/B]!!! :stuck_out_tongue:

[QUOTE=mcaustria;2495648]Ok, so I tried to translate the post since it’s French…:a

So thanks to :bow: [B]Lithium [/B]form [B]forumDOTgravure-newsDOTcom[/B]:

…could it be the same guy…:disagree:
Found it nerverrecking :a to visit every Link, so hope you can [B]forgive me[/B] if put the results online right here…[/QUOTE]

Lol these are all my scans, yep :bigsmile:
Nothing to add, nice :cool:

If you want further information, just ask :stuck_out_tongue:

PS : MCC004 are Verbatim PAPA, and MBIPG101 R05 are Panasonic.

Ok, now I looked through the TestResults properly:cop: - think I’ll stick to [B]your proposal[/B]…
So, Sony Opiarcs [B]AD-7590A[/B] it’ll be for me

allthough if I interpret you scannings correctly Lithium, it seems as if the Pioneer [B]DVR-KD08[/B] is [B]slightly better[/B]… but could be simply be due to the media used… and it’ll [B]cost ~150%[/B] of the Sony here in Europe - so thinks the AD-7590A’ll be my new smokin’baby :p…

[B]Thanks for you HELP Lithium[/B] :flower::flower:
Cya

Something I forgot::doh:
They’re selling a [B]AD-7590A[/B] and a [B]AD-7593A[/B] model
Both are AD-7590 seriec drives, only the 2nd clames to be [B]LabelFlash[/B] capable…

Telling from the specs guess its the [B]same model[/B], right[B]?![/B] - so no loss on the [B]burning quality[/B] can be expected, right?!
Anybody got some [B]advice[/B] on that[B]?![/B]:o

Thought since it’s about the same price…

Now, just for [B]pure curiosity[/B] I was wandering, if theres a real [B]difference[/B] in the real [B]hardware-components[/B] of the drives - perhaps one could actually just [B]crossflash[/B] the drives to make them LabelFash capable…?:bigsmile:

Yep, same model, just 93 is labellflash capable. If you think it would be funny, then buy 7593, if you don’t care (since buying labelflash medias in Europe may not be easy), buy 7590, but since it’s about the same price… buy 7593 !

Unlike lightscribe, labelflash doesn’t require different hardware, so yes, theorically it would be possible to crossflash 7590 to 7593, but in fact that would’n work, because you’ll have to update bootcode too, and that is difficult (and non supported by binfash) for the moment.

Considering Pioneer DVR-KD08, I had both, and sold Pioneer, because it had issues burning dvd+rw (don’t remember mid code :frowning: ). Optiarc was also better with MBIPG101 R05 media :smiley:

AD-7590/93 A/S are “good” slim burner, but be careful, they would NEVER perform like “full-size” drives (or like bad drives such as Samsung SH-S223C for exemple) ! But since you are looking for remplacement slim drive…

Edit : you could also look for AD-5590A, that are 7590A without dvdram support (no crossflashing possible for the moment) :wink:

That’s it for me, ordered the drive -93… [B]THANx:flower::flower::flower:[/B]

You’re welcome :wink: