New p / 115d ide unit (not bad)

just got the ide 115d ide black pioneer burner.

burns ver +r at +20 times perfect

Waiting for the 215D… :smiley:

[QUOTE=ISSA2005;1924910]just got the ide 115d ide black pioneer burner.

burns ver +r at +20 times perfect[/QUOTE]
Please give some more Info on this drive it look like this could be another great pioneer drive

I really hope Pioneer include bitsetting support on the 215D as thus far there’s been no crossflash for the 212 and I have had to get rid of mine in favour of a Samsung 203 who in their wisdom enable bitsetting by default.

I am not sure who decides policy at Pioneer, but I cannot see any sane reason you would not enable bitsetting thus intentionally reducing compatibility.

[QUOTE=noveltylamp;1925171][B]I really hope Pioneer include bitsetting support [/B]on the 215D as thus far there’s been no crossflash for the 212 and I have had to get rid of mine in favour of a Samsung 203 who in their wisdom enable bitsetting by default.

I am not sure who decides policy at Pioneer, but I cannot see any sane reason you would not enable bitsetting thus intentionally reducing compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Nope, as we had this before!
Bitsetting is not necessary these days anymore, with DL its done by default anyway.

[QUOTE=noveltylamp;1925171]I am not sure who decides policy at Pioneer, but I cannot see any sane reason you would not enable bitsetting thus intentionally reducing compatibility.[/QUOTE]

Xbox games do not equal compatibility. Impossible to find a player these days that doesn’t play +R media, and if you happen to have one that doesn’t, use -R.

For anyone who wants to see some scans, the boys at Speedlabs have the drives already.

Please don’t assume I want bitsetting for Xbox games, I don’t even own an Xbox 360 and when you refer to “players” i assume you mean DVD Players and I very much doubt the majority of the people on the forum are burning video they own the copyright to.

There are a number of drives in the PCs I maintain which will not read DVD+R and I have over 100 +R discs MCC003/MCC004 which I purchased at a very good price which hasn’t been repeated since. Whilst these drives may be ageing/cheap/crap they are still perfectly functional and it is cheaper /easier for me to buy a writer from a competing manufacturer which supports bitsetting than it would be to either purchase -R discs or replace all the drives. The discs often contain system images and backups as opposed to video data and I am not going to tell the owners to replace their perfectly functional DVD drive for the sake of one writer not having bitsetting (212, or in future 215.)

The inability of this drive to bitset makes it a no-no for a particular publically owned organisation whose policy is to use +R type discs as they are supposedly suited for data, yet has many “recycled” DVD drives re-used in their PCs which would have to be replaced at the tax payer’s expense so at the moment they are purchasing Liteon 20x SATA drives which although I believe are inferior to Pioneer in terms of writing quality and reliability, I cannot argue any case for Pioneer SATA writers on the grounds of no bitsetting.

I hope this clears up the reason Pioneer should add bitsetting support, they are deliberately not including a feature which would cost them nothing, and losing out on sales as a result, not just from Xbox pirates.

[QUOTE=noveltylamp;1927451][B]
There are a number of drives in the PCs I maintain which will not read DVD+R [/B]and I have over 100 +R discs MCC003/MCC004 which I purchased at a very good price which hasn’t been repeated since. Whilst these drives may be ageing/cheap/crap they are still perfectly functional and it is cheaper /easier for me to buy a writer from a competing manufacturer which supports bitsetting than it would be to either purchase -R discs or replace all the drives. The discs often contain system images and backups as opposed to video data and I am not going to tell the owners to replace their perfectly functional DVD drive for the sake of one writer not having bitsetting (212, or in future 215.)

[/QUOTE]

That drives must be very old and near death, IMO.

Is this 215 drive in the USA yet? I have not found it yet. Is it a BestBuy exclusive?

/offtopic

[QUOTE=noveltylamp;1925171]I really hope Pioneer include bitsetting support on the 215D as thus far there’s been no crossflash for the 212…[/QUOTE]
The next MCSE release includes bitsetting of +R to ROM for 109-212 firmwares.

[QUOTE=ala42;1928733]/offtopic

The next MCSE release includes bitsetting of +R to ROM for 109-212 firmwares.[/QUOTE]Nice ala42 :slight_smile:

The next MCSE release includes bitsetting of +R to ROM for 109-212 firmwares.[/QUOTE]

Excellent news ala42 :clap:

Will it be automatic bitsetting , or is it selectable by burning app ?

[QUOTE=minaelromany;1928885]Will it be automatic bitsetting , or is it selectable by burning app ?[/QUOTE]
It is exactly as it is with the Buffallo firmwares, so it is automatic. The patch simply enables the bitsetting feature currently sleeping in the firmware.

Does anyone know which chipset this drive is using?

[QUOTE=Dee-27;1929002]Does anyone know which chipset this drive is using?[/QUOTE]

Brad-Pioneer surely knows the answer. :stuck_out_tongue:

The next MCSE release includes bitsetting of +R to ROM for 109-212 firmwares.[/QUOTE] :cool: Extremely cool. I wondered if I could sometime use my 112D drive for some video duplication works with MCC004, now I have the answer… :bow:

[QUOTE=Dee-27;1929002]Does anyone know which chipset this drive is using?[/QUOTE]

NEC chipset just like the 112/212.

When to expect them in USA? 115 and 215.

[quote=ala42;1928733]/offtopic

The next MCSE release includes bitsetting of +R to ROM for 109-212 firmwares.[/quote] Very good news indeed. :slight_smile:

Thanks Brad.
I’m looking forward to getting hold of these drives. :slight_smile: