New optical storage technology - 87 GB on a DVD-size disk

I just posted the article New optical storage technology - 87 GB on a DVD-size disk.

jsl used our newssubmit to tell us that a research team of the University of Boston has found a way to store 87 GB of data on a disc the size of a DVD. The large capacity is possible due a new…

Read the full article here:  [http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4877-New-optical-storage-technology---87-GB-on-a-DVD-size-disk.html](http://www.cdfreaks.com/news/4877-New-optical-storage-technology---87-GB-on-a-DVD-size-disk.html)

Feel free to add your comments below. 

Please note that the reactions from the complete site will be synched below.

Umm, isn’t this just the FMD-ROM that was developed by Constellation 3D? And they said they could store 140GB back in 2000 and with blue lasers and more layers could fit over 1TB on a CD-sized disc, all with minimal changes to current production equipment. It was supposed to cost the same as DVDs. Last I heard they were acquired by someone though. Don’t know who. BTW, they also had a credit-card sized version.

Was probably aquired by a subsidiary of some movie company in order to squelch it.

Whats the difference between DVD size and CD size?? :d

Anyone tired of hearing all these new formats that supposedly can store GBs upon GBs of data? From holographic storage (which if I remember correctly, uses transparent discs), blue ray, double density CDs, and everything else we’ve been hearing… I hope all these mass storage media will be available sometime in our lifetime because it’s all vaporware until we can buy it. BTW, has anyone heard of any update on that holographic storage thing-a-mabobber and those double density CDs?

Double-density CDs are in fact sold by Sony and they have the drives for it as well.

And does anyone have a TV that will show up the difference in resolution between a current DVD and this technology? I think not…and they may never in Europe as I understood it Europe will never see HD-TV technologies and very high resolutions because the politicians decided to go for quantity (of channels) rather than quality of picture which takes up more bandwidth, which = less channels. Although I’d be the first to agree that you can never have too much capacity, unless these technologies are introduced in read/write and re-write straight away they are of little immediate value. The same goes for Blu-ray technologies, what’s the point if you can’t write and re-write to the disks from the word go? It just means there’s little point in upgrading. I’ve got a Philips DVDR890 which is a replacement for the VCR, not a PC recorder, and I have to say it’s the finest piece of consumer electronics I’ve ever bought. I have to say though that capacity greater than 4.7GB would occassionally be useful, however for the most part I’d just end up with finalised discs with loads of space on them.