New optical drive not recognzied

Good afternoon,

I have a problem and I hope the good people at Club CDFreaks can help. I have a Dell M1210 running Vista (upgraded). A few months ago (way after the Vista upgrade), my NEC 6650a drive lost the capability to read or burn CDs. DVDs work just fine. I tried clearing out my filters, uninstalling other burning software (I only use explorer to burn) and updating/disabling/reinstalling the driver. No such luck.

So I bit the bullet and took it into a shop. They told me the drive was bad and needed to be replaced. I didn’t feel like purchasing the exact replacement from Dell ($109) but instead bought a Phillips SPD8005BM/17 slim dvdrw. The install went just fine, even took pictures, but the system won’t recognize the drive. The light on the drive flashes once upon boot up but it can’t be found in the device manager. I tried reinstalling the IDE controllers but that did nothing. I even reinstalled my NEC and that continues to work (except for CDs of course).

So I hear it might be a master/slave problem. Everything I can find online is either about desktops or involves re soldering. I can’t figure out what’s wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.

I had to go through a haaale but finally got mine to work. using this tool eeprom utility 3.7.2 got from this site http://codeguys.rpc1.org/utilities.html
There is alos a firmware backupn tool that you will need before you do any changes its wise to backup your firmware.
i recomend trying this 1st i don’t recall if it worked before i did the other task. If it works awesome there is an option to change set drive to master or slave. If it doesn’t work then it gets harder I opend up my drive spd8005bm17 and noticed on the chip it said SSM-8515S; this is a lite on drive. I googled for hacked firmware and found one here ftp://ftp.ca.pl/pub/caM158N_M158i/M158i_firmware
This alowed me to update my phillips and changed i to a lite on sm-8515s which in turn allowed me to upodate to the newest lite on firmware. that firmware i got directly from lite on website. Once this was done i used eeprom tool to set drive to master and rebooted, before the drive would not show up in bios i had to place old drive then swapp now new drive shoed up in bios. I had an issue when i loaded windows drive would not work so i loaded old phillips firmware which i had saved and re flashed drive. One last site using eeprom i set drive to master and rebboted issue was resolved. Now eeprom works, again i don’t think it did before flashes but i could be wrong. This resolved my issue hope it helps.

slytrans69,

Thanks for the suggestion but none of those applications can detect my drive. They all say “no DVD/CD drive detected”. I tried on my old drive and they could detect it just fine. I can’t figure out why my computer won’t recognize the drive [I]at all[/I]. I’m very tempted to just buy another NEC ND6650a but I don’t go down easy.

[QUOTE=Knightro;2071758]Good afternoon,

I have a problem and I hope the good people at Club CDFreaks can help. I have a Dell M1210 running Vista (upgraded). A few months ago (way after the Vista upgrade), my NEC 6650a drive lost the capability to read or burn CDs. DVDs work just fine. I tried clearing out my filters, uninstalling other burning software (I only use explorer to burn) and updating/disabling/reinstalling the driver. No such luck.

So I bit the bullet and took it into a shop. They told me the drive was bad and needed to be replaced. I didn’t feel like purchasing the exact replacement from Dell ($109) but instead bought a Phillips [B]SPD8005BM/17 slim dvdrw. [/B]The install went just fine, even took pictures, but the system won’t recognize the drive. The light on the drive flashes once upon boot up but it can’t be found in the device manager. I tried reinstalling the IDE controllers but that did nothing. I even reinstalled my NEC and that continues to work (except for CDs of course).

So I hear it might be a master/slave problem. Everything I can find online is either about desktops or involves re soldering. I can’t figure out what’s wrong. Any ideas? Thanks.[/QUOTE]

Might be to late to ask but why did you change to Vista? Did you update your system after vista to vista SP1? What O/S did you have previously on your laptop? If you burner was working before doing all burning and reading then the problem might lie in the Vista O/S itself. As if you read up people have had problem with the O/S granted there are those who says then didn’t have problem but I think the problem is more then the no problem users. I am with XP SP3 and will stick with it for some time. How I see it if you don’t need all the bells and whistle then just stick with XP as it still a viable program. But that is my opinion in the end. I don’t think you can change slave master on laptop drives but I might be wrong. Is your latop still under warranty? And when you upgraded was it user upgrade or did you take it to the shop for them to upgrade the laptop? If the later they should fix the problem and not you or charge you for it. As they should be aware of problems by now with Vista.

Used to have XP Media Edition. Vista has a better look and feel. I like the new interface and have better control over my documents and programs. I adapt to change easily. I don’t really care about the graphics, I have a plain black background and screen saver and turned off animated cursors and all other flashiness. I also experienced no compatibility problems.

Back to the drive. No the problem didn’t exist until over a year after I upgraded Vista. Many CDs were played and burned through Vista in the meantime (50+). Took it to a repair place I use for work and they said the drive was damaged. However, the Security Update for .NET framework v1.1 SP1 won’t install. Could this be related? Hmm…

The new drive (Philips-branded) isn’t recognized in the BIOS or device manger, however when I hot-swapped the devices it now has power and can open and spin CDs but is still not recognized. I don’t think the device is bad (a hunch).

What I really need is another laptop with a slimline drive to see if it’s me (how can it not be?).

Okay, I’ve discovered that it will be detected if I had the old one installed during bootup and hot-swapped the new one. It reads and burns CDs fine. However, once I reboot, it isn’t in the BIOS and can’t be found.

Flash the BIOS?
Flash the driver?
Give up?

After a little finagling, slytrans69’s fix worked. The only catch was I had to hot swap the drives so this only works if you have an extra laptop or working drive.

Okay, installed windows 7 and now it doesn’t work. The device manager can find it (as a Philips) and says there is a registry problem.

I find this in the reg when searching for “philips”:

IDE\CdRomPHILIPS_SPD8005L1_______________________H5S2____\5&3a6bb19f&0&1.0.0

But my device is ATA, not IDE. Does that matter?

Did you upgrade or do a fresh install?