New Office Max Brand Label - with Princo DVD-Rs

At my office max, they have the sale going for 8x Office Max brandname DVD-Rs for $11.49. I read on here that they used to be Moser Baer brand, which was good I guess.

Now the office max labels have changed, and inside I find Princo (says right on the hub).

These are totally white, with no silkscreen… but its not a white printable top, its still a glossy plastic topper. Gone through 50 and so far no coasters… not sure about the quality of Princo’s.

I bought these while waiting for my order to arrive with my Riteks.
(used to buy TY but can’t stand that shiny silver and they don’t sell matte finish)

I will try to do a nero test and post the results… but you guys will have to translate it because I have no idea what it all means.

Just for giggles, you should do a search of the Blank Media forum for “Princo”.

:wink:

Or Ritek…

You really shouldnt have moved from TY to Ritek and Princo. Both are known to be terrible and both will degrade Very quickly.

You can buy printable TY, why not just get that if you dont like ‘silver unbranded’ surfaces.

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for the info. Princo used to be considered one of the worst media in broad distribution. Now Ritek has managed to drop even lower in quality that Princo, mostly due to their annoying tendency to loose all readability after a few months.

I used to be annoyed by silver finish and I have learned to tolerate it because TY is so good. If you want to get something with a matte finish go back to Office Max and get the Verbatim +R discs for $15 this week. They are equal to TY.

I concur. Stooping to the two worst media manufacturers just to avoid having a silvertop is not smart. That is like going from a Honda to a Kia just because the Kia happens to look better. :gag:

Hmm Well I didn’t BUY princo… i bought Office Max because I heard they were Moser Baer. But what I got was Princo. I did search for princo but the only threads i found were talking about that they were a “reputable company” but didn’t see much in the first few results about their quality.

Anyway… Let me clear up some confusion on my part too… Are “Ridata” and “Ritek” the same company? The reason I ask is because I once bought 4x Arita Ridata one time. Anyway, these are the discs I bought:http://www.supermediastore.com/ritek-ridata-8x-dvd-r-retail-10off-mir-500pk.html … I’ve had no problems with Ritek Ridata 8x as long as I burn them at 8x. My friend said he had problems with his 8x Ridata because his burner kept trying to burn them at 12x. But once he forced 8x they were fine.

TY does have the white printable, but A) they cost more and B) I apply labels to my media afterwards (with the label applicator thing) so it would make the discs super thick if they had dual labels on them. I used to print right on the label (I got Epson R200) but that was too slow and too tedious.

As far as quality, I don’t know that they’ve sunk that far in quality under TY. But I’m no pro. I will say that I buy about 1000 dvd-r’s per week from supermediastore (for my business) and 2 weeks ago I bought 1000 TY’s 8x shiny silver and had 8 coasters. Last week I bought 1000 Ritek Ridata’s and had only 3 coasters. While that is pretty moot, I haven’t seen any reason to swear off Ridata just yet.

Verbatim is nice too and I would have bought them but my Office max has no idea on how to run a store. Every single week the DVD-R brand that is on sale runs out of stock by wednesday or Thursday, and the monkeys that work there have nothing to offer by means of a rain check or anything. This happens every week the same way, yet they still havent figured out how to buy larger orders.

Yes, RiData and Arita are both “brands” owned by Ritek used in different countries.

The point to make with Ritek is only their DVD-R range. Ridata is a Ritek company, but it affects any G05, and some G04 discs.

You will be seeing good quality scans when you first burn the discs. But a few months down the line the discs will be unreadable because the Dye that is used on the -R discs seems to degrade at a very fast level.

So the discs that your not getting any coasters with at the moment will become coasters in the near future. Seriously just search for Ritek G05 (their 8x dvd-r) and ‘Degrade’ and you will see plenty of threads.

How about from a " Masterati " to an " Ford" .

So, lets say I were to take your advice… but NEED a matte finish. The problem is, I have an Automatic Robot Disc Loader for my business, Shiny tops stick together because of their gripping surface, matte never have a problem. Ridata has blank tops with only their logo in the hub, which is absolutely perfect. But All the Verbs I’ve seen have their logo silkscreen plastered all over the top, which is no good for me… not that I can’t use them, but it seems “less professional”. Although, some discs are covered with an aftermarket label, some are not, it depends on what my customers buy.

Is there any way to get verbs without their logo? or whats the best MATTE media to get thats rated to last longer than Ridata G05s?

Yaiyo Yuden Matte surface media will be the best. Just search on google if your having any problems locating a store that sells them.

Although anything with a matte surface is gonna be better than G05 media.

How about Verbatim printable DVD media, which can be had in a version without any Verbatim ID on the (white) printable surface.

You can get e.g. 16x “DVD+R Wide Photo Printable No ID Brand” in 50pc spindles with re-order number 43512, or 16x “DVD-R Wide Photo Printable No ID brand” in 50pc spindles with re-order number 43533.

These are the re-order numbers for Verbatim Europe, and if you live in North America or Asia, your selection and re-order numbers may be different.

I think the fact that TY doesn’t make a matte surface was the whole point of this topic. But if you have some hidden place that they sell them, please let me know. Unless you really meant Yaiyo Yuden, but I took that as a typo. Or you might mean white inkjet printable which some stores use the word “matte” which is just poor wording.

If I wanted white printable then i would just go with TY. I still might go back to the TY white printable but I fear that when I put on the second after market Disc label, it will make the discs too thick.

Some stores label the normal unbranded shiny surface as Matte in the title for some strange reason; its probably to confuse people into buying them. Sorry for the Mix-up and Typo, didn’t even double check the post, haha. There are plenty of places to get other Matte media though. Ive got some ‘Silver Matte Printable (not white)’ dvd-r media here (MCC02RG20, not verbatim branded though).

If your going to put a stcky label on a disc then dont go for printables cause it will peel off. You may as well just go for really cheap media if your going to put a label on them, it will only ruin the media. [Putting a disc label onto a dvd or cd can increase the amount of read errors to the extent where the disc could become unreadable, this is because the disc is unable to balance properly when being read].

Can you link me to those non-branded verbatims you mention?

Thats getting a bit too low level. I mean this is for video and you are talking a misplace pixel due to balance issue, hardly noticed on a DVD player. Depending on the media, the print label may not peel off. The only discs I’ve had that problem are on the ProDisc… their label is very grainy feeling. but white tops like the Arita Ridata and the Taiyo’s dont really have that problem.

I think the unbranded verbs (assuming they have no logos on the top) would be good, if all else fails I will just go back to the TY white tops until TY gets on the ball with matte.

They were Datawrite (e-net) branded. Bought them from my local PC shop so i dont have any links.

You could try searching around for ‘Silver Printable’ or Thermal printable discs. These are pretty much just matte silver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chancooluk
If your going to put a stcky label on a disc then dont go for printables cause it will peel off. You may as well just go for really cheap media if your going to put a label on them, it will only ruin the media. [Putting a disc label onto a dvd or cd can increase the amount of read errors to the extent where the disc could become unreadable, this is because the disc is unable to balance properly when being read].

Thats getting a bit too low level. I mean this is for video and you are talking a misplace pixel due to balance issue, hardly noticed on a DVD player. Depending on the media, the print label may not peel off. The only discs I’ve had that problem are on the ProDisc… their label is very grainy feeling. but white tops like the Arita Ridata and the Taiyo’s dont really have that problem.

There’s plenty of evidence o this very board that any kind of after market labeling is a bad idea, we’re not talking about a single pixel here but unreadable discs.

I will look into the thermal printable. thx

a label making a disc unreadable? I await that day, although I feel I will be dead long before then. In the past 3 months I’ve gone through ~7000 dvd-r’s. (about 1000 every 2 weeks seems average). ~3000 of those were TY, ~2500 Ridata, ~1500 memorex, fuji, imation, verbatim, sony, store brands, etc.

Of those labeled with the round fitted NEATO disc labels: ~3000
Those labeled with smaller labels (1x2 inch): ~4000
Those that wouldn’t verify after burn with label on them: 0

Out of all those discs, none of them have ever had a problem reading due to a label. But that may be a small number to some others, but still for now I think its definitely worth the risk.

http://www.rima.com/Merchant2/merchant.mv?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=R&Product_Code=1795 - 23.00 for 50

how are these? they seem really cheap for verbs with white printable… is this a good verified set? I know rima is well respected, but just seems too cheap. I can’t even get memorex for this cheap.

-EDIT-

http://supermediastore.com/verbatim-8x-dvd-r-white-inkjet-hub-printable-94854-rebate-50.html - 9.99 for 50

how can these be so cheap? cheaper than the most generic sets i’ve ever seen… can this be genuine?