New OEM 1620 scans w/B7U9 fw

vbimport

Received and installed my new OEM 1620 today. The drive came w/the B7U9 fw. First scans below. I burned at 4x, as I usually try to burn at 1/2 rated speed, which is what I do when I burn my movies. I figure this gives me the most accurate representation of how I use my media. Anyway, there’s a couple of PIF spikes that concern me, but maybe they are of no consequence–pls let me know.

Also, I did the Disk Quality Test at both 8x and 4x, just to see if there was a difference. There is, but it seems very slight. Again, pls advise if the difference matters much.

Try burning at 12x.

Anyway, there’s a couple of PIF spikes that concern me, but maybe they are of no consequence–pls let me know.
Which “couple of PIF spikes”? Nothing wrong looking at your scans, they are perfect.

Also, I did the Disk Quality Test at both 8x and 4x, just to see if there was a difference. There is, but it seems very slight.

That’s why here in cdfreaks we agree to use 8x scanning speed as the standard.

I’m not sure he will be able to do that right now… look at his burst rate of 13MB/s. :confused:

HLMencken, check you have DMA enabled to UDMA Mode-2.

Thanks for reminding me: I forgot to mention, this new BenQ, and the new Lite-on 1693 I just installed, are both on an Adaptec ASH-1233 Ultra ATA/133 controller card. (My NEC 3520 and LG 1463 are on the mobo’s controller.) The card auto-configures the drives. I get an info screen in Device Manager, but the card decides how to control. It has set the BenQ 1620 at “Multiword DMA Mode 2”. The BenQ is set as “master” on this card, on the primary channel, and the Lite-on is set as “slave” and is set at “Ultra DMA Mode 2”.

I don’t know the difference between Multiword DMA and Ultra DMA modes–can anyone enlighten me?

What’s odd is that the Lite-on–which is the slave-- burst rate of 24 MB/s. Now I’m really confused.

The difference between UDMA and Multi Word is transfer rate which is basically cut in half by Multi Word. The BenQ should be UDMA 2 ATA 33, 23 mb burst and I believe the Lite On is UDMA 4 which is ATA 66 burst rate 40+ mb’s, so your burst rate is cut in half on both drives. Can you run your HDD’s off the controller card and run the Optical drives off the Mainboard IDE controller??

That’s a great burn. It should have no playback problems at all… I certainly wouldn’t throw that disc away, hehe.

All my HDD are on SATA–nowhere near any IDE channels. :slight_smile: My mobo–Intel 925XCV–only has one IDE channel, so that’s why the add-in Adaptec card. (Mobo IDE already has two burners on it–NEC 3520 and LG 4163.)

As far as what modes they should be, I apparently don’t have any say in the matter, as the Adaptec card decides what mode to set each drive, and there is no way to change it.

The only thing I can think of to do, is put one drive on each channel, instead of both drives on the primary channel, and see if that makes a difference. Do you think it will?

@HLMencken. Sorry someone that has more experience with add on IDE controllers is going to have to help you on that one. Even if you tried to use your on board Raid controller (if your Mobo has one) in IDE mode you probably wouldn’t have a choice in setting UDMA modes. One thing is certain, you will have trouble writing at higher speeds unless your drives are in the proper UDMA mode. Sorry I couldn’t help you more.:slight_smile:

Adaptec got back to me on the IDE controller, and suggested moving one of the drives to the second channel, making both Masters. As soon as I do that, I’ll redo the test and post back here.