New OCZ Vertex2 series - now with 25nm technology

vbimport

OCZ just switched from 32nm to 25nm technology for their Vertex2 series SSDs.

According to storagereview.com, these new drives lack the performance of the previous models:
They are slightly slower (in real world tests), and they have less capacity.
Life time decreased also, which seems to be a feature of these new 25nm chips.

OCZ is heavily critisized for selling these drives with the same product name and model numbers, so potential customers don’t know what they get. For an extra fee, you can trade your 25nm Vertex2 for a 32nm version.

Sources: http://www.storagereview.com/ocz_vertex_2_25nm_review_oczssd22vtxe60g
http://www.storagereview.com/ssds_shifting_25nm_nand_what_you_need_know

Michael

Hmm. They didn’t just switch to 25nm NAND, that happened in Dec 2010, as reported in an article here on MyCE.

Also, while the laws of physics mean that 25nm has fewer write cycles than 34nm NAND, life expectancy is still 5 years (the same as 34nm) and the warranty is still 3 years.
Also the quality of the NAND hasn’t been taken into consideration.
You can have 34nm NAND that is only good for 3700 P/E cycles, and 25nm NAND that is good for 4000+ cycles, or eMLC that is good for 30,000 cycles.

Having said that, it would have been easier for consumers if the 25nm model numbers had been changed.

Regarding speed.
The 100GB and above 25nm NAND models (because of the NAND density) speeds are almost identical, as the higher density NAND can access all channels on the SandForce controller.

Just installed the newer 120GB E model did not know the difference.
Write speeds are nothing to get excited about for my old system :wink:
6850 Dual Core 2 extreme-3.00Ghz @3.67, 6144 Mb DDR2 800MHz, Win 7/64.

Gee, they just released the Vertex 3 pro also. It seems the “boy wonder” was sent a preproduction unit http://www.anandtech.com/show/4159/ocz-vertex-3-pro-preview-the-first-sf2500-ssd. 6GB/s :slight_smile:

Benchmark OCZ Vertex 2 [B]25 nm[/B] and [B]34 nm[/B] SSD

I have a very powerful system and my Vertex 2 is nothing to write home about either. About 220 write and well you can see.:sad:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

if you’re using synthetic benchmarks, then you must bench the drive when its connected as a spare. If you bench it when its running an OS, you won’t get accurate results.

[QUOTE=Dee;2583636]if you’re using synthetic benchmarks, then you must bench the drive when its connected as a spare. If you bench it when its running an OS, you won’t get accurate results.[/QUOTE]

So if I understand correctly, everyone who has an SSD with an OS on it will get results that are not accurate no matter what benchmark tool they use? I thought that was the whole reason people were buying these tiny SSDs were to put their OS on them. Maybe the newer Vertex 3 will give me better results with this new system I have.:wink: Thanks Wendy.

The idea is to bench it before you install the OS on the SSD.
Vertex 3 on P67 SATA 6Gbps is awesome.

[QUOTE=Dee;2583652]The idea is to bench it before you install the OS on the SSD.
Vertex 3 on P67 SATA 6Gbps is awesome.[/QUOTE] Well I have one coming soon, I have to tell you I really like this 980X build, I never used water cooling before and I never had temps at 20c before either, now its one less thing to worry about LOL.

I’d be a good idea to start a thread on the Ocz forum and post your ATTO benchmark and your full system specs, we’ll be glad to help you find that extra bit of performance your missing. :wink:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?248-Sandforce-Vertex2-LE-Pro-Agility2-Vertex2-Agility2-EX-Drives-REVO-and-HSDL-drives

[QUOTE=Zaxx;2583795]I’d be a good idea to start a thread on the Ocz forum and post your ATTO benchmark and your full system specs, we’ll be glad to help you find that extra bit of performance your missing. :wink:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?248-Sandforce-Vertex2-LE-Pro-Agility2-Vertex2-Agility2-EX-Drives-REVO-and-HSDL-drives[/QUOTE]

Thats very nice of you, we would do the same for you here, help you I mean. I just might take you up on that offer, since I am a member of Ocz Forums.:flower:.

Different SATA port

You can now find OCZ vertex II (25nm) SSD’s at roughly half price (amazing), but the reports of Vertex II’s (including, or more so the 25nm) dying in somewhere between 0 seconds and 7 months have me spooked.

Processor is the Sandy Bridge i7-2600k, mb is MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3). The number of DOA’s appear disturbingly high, but it would be worse to die after a few months. Does anyone have first hand knowledge or an opinion? We’re talking $1.21/GB (ignoring the false marketing size of 120GB), this is very tempting… Somebody stop me!

[QUOTE=damage75;2596097]You can now find OCZ vertex II (25nm) SSD’s at roughly half price (amazing), but the reports of Vertex II’s (including, or more so the 25nm) dying in somewhere between 0 seconds and 7 months have me spooked.

Processor is the Sandy Bridge i7-2600k, mb is MSI Z68MA-ED55 (B3). The number of DOA’s appear disturbingly high, but it would be worse to die after a few months. Does anyone have first hand knowledge or an opinion? We’re talking $1.21/GB (ignoring the false marketing size of 120GB), this is very tempting… Somebody stop me![/QUOTE]
Mine died after 1 month but they sent a new one from the factory in Tailand and that bad boy rocks!