New Nec7200s reads ok but doesn´t burn

vbimport

it reads cds and dvds ok but burning in Nero6 and Imgburn results in dead dvds just after writing lead-in. I used princo 8x for now (all I have ATM) and 5 bad burns. could it be driver or firmware related? Drive is new w/ FW1.01

thank you for any info

also, the simulations do OK. but real burning not

Welcome to CDF :slight_smile:

Just a suggestion. Try better media (Verbatim, Sony etc). :wink:

Also, can you post an error log from Nero (it’ll contain loads of useful info about the burn and what’s going wrong), hopefully you’ll be prompted to save one when the burn fails.

Remember to remove your Nero serial number from it before posting, though.

Welcome to the forum.
The problem is most likely the media.
Firmware 1.05 is the latest firmware, but that is unlikely to fix your media. :slight_smile:

thank you for your quick response. i have attached the log from nero. i have been burning with this media on other burners for a long time, it really is a disappointment to see a brand new burner being incompatible with it. anyway, i really do hope the problem is with a system setting (sata motherboard drivers, maybe). thanks anyway

As we suspected, the problem appears to be media-related. See the (KEY_MEDIUM_ERROR) in the log?

Try burning it at the rated 8x, or you can try updating the drive’s firmware to the latest. But as Dee said, I doubt it’ll help much.

well there is more then just the medium. Also this is wrong
CdRomPeripheral : Optiarc DVD RW AD-7200S iaStor Port 2 ID 1 DMA: [B]Off[/B]

check this out
http://club.cdfreaks.com/f61/troubleshooting-enabling-checking-dma-windows-vista-xp-2000-me-9x-101616/

also this looks strange
Insert empty disc to write to.
Medium in drive:[B] Unknown.[/B] Medium required by compilation: DVD R/RW; DVD DL; DVD-RAM.

ow and also update nero if you can you got Nero Version: 6.6.1.4 ( 19 Feb 2006 it’s alittle old )

Nero reports incorrect DMA for SATA drives, so it may well be enabled. :flower:

also this looks strange
Insert empty disc to write to.
Medium in drive: Unknown. Medium required by compilation: DVD R/RW; DVD DL; DVD-RAM.
I agree, this does look strange.

[B]Lobsterone[/B]: Whatever software you have making the virtual DVD ROM drive, disable/uninstall it. It may be blocking MID/ATIP identification, meaning the communication about the actual disc and the write strategy being used can’t be obtained. This has been the source of trouble many times, in my experience, and can cause failed burns similar to what is occurring here. :iagree:

First let me thank you mery much for some great help. I will try burning some ritek discs and see if everything goes ok, I already disabled the viirtual drive software. But how do I change the DMA values for SATA drives, if it may be the problem? I’m also using an intel matrix RAID array (motherboard Gigabyte X38-DS4) and can´t change any performance values on it. Can´t see where the DVD-rom DMA options are in the control panel anymore

This will probably have to be done in the BIOS. Set the SATA controller to non-RAID mode and if possible (standard IDE mode).

Again. bad choice in media. Do yourself the biggest favour you can and get some decent media, like Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden.

Manual page 43.

Disabled RAID.

update: I have installed nero 8, tried burning 2 CD’s, which burned ok. Tried burning a Ritek brand DVD: error. Tried different brands of DVD-RW: error. Tried erasing (quick erase) a DVD-RW using IMGBURN: erases to 15%, stops, then it restarts erasing at 0% (this was very funny LOLOL) and stops at 99% (left it like that for 30minutes. imgburn locked the drive and I had to use taskmanager to end the program; the drive led was still on: proof that the pc was crashed. Also, if I disable RAID in the BIOS I cannot use my hard drive array??? So I have to choose between using either the disks in RAID config OR using the DVD burner??? what kind of choice is this? I paid for a good motherboard to have these problems? maybe it’s better to RMA this garbage. thank you people once more

What does Nero CD-DVD Speed or DVDIdentifier report as the MID for these DVD discs?

How to get the MID: http://club.cdfreaks.com/580276-post3.html

[QUOTE=Lobsterone;2006123]maybe it’s better to RMA this garbage. thank you people once more[/QUOTE]It’s not garbage, its a very good drive. I don’t know of any SATA DVD burner that will operate correctly if the SATA controller is set in RAID mode.

Check if your motherboard has two SATA controllers (that isn’t uncommon) and use the 2nd SATA controller in non RAID mode to connect the burner.
Failing that, If your board has an IDE PATA controller. Get a PATA drive, because you are very unlikely to get a SATA burner working properly on your present configuration.

yes my motherboard has 3 dual SATA connectors. I can use 6 sata devices. From what I understand I can use the controller either in SATA “or” RAID mode, so if I want hard drive raid performance I can’t use the 7200 burner, and if I want to use the burner I can’t have the disks in RAID mode. This is going to be a tough decision. Does anyone know about a workaround for this (patch or something) or maybe Vista has support for this kind of configuration? I tried searching the net but couldn´t find anything

If you already have a RAID array setup then you’ll have to add a PCI SATA card for your burner, or use the PCI SATA card for your hard drives and set the boards SATA controller to non RAID and IDE mode and connect the burner to this port.

If you don’t have a RAID array setup already and you have two hard drives and intend to use RAID 0 for better performance. Be aware, this is a dangerous setup. If one hard drive fails, you lose the data on both drives, as the data is across both drives.

Vista and i believe XP offers a software RAID solution, i have never used it, but i expect it also to be dangerous.

I have the Gigabyte P35 DS4 and i also use RAID 0 on the ICH9R intel chip
next to that i have a 7170S 1M1 also on the SATA connected but no problem with this works like a charm
did you install this driver for the ICHR9 RAID Controller from Intel’s website ? if not do that first
then also set SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode to Enabled !!
now try again
ps DO NOT USE GIGABYTE SATA2 DRIVER !!

[quote=chef;2005613]Manual page 43.

Disabled RAID.[/quote]

what manual is this? can you be more specific?

[quote=serge007;2006448]I have the Gigabyte P35 DS4 and i also use RAID 0 on the ICH9R intel chip
next to that i have a 7170S 1M1 also on the SATA connected but no problem with this works like a charm
did you install this driver for the ICHR9 RAID Controller from Intel’s website ? if not do that first
then also set SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode to Enabled !!
now try again
ps DO NOT USE GIGABYTE SATA2 DRIVER !![/quote]

I have the Intel Matrix Raid version 7.something installed but I have now downloaded the latest version 7.8.0.1012. I will try this out when I get home. Your board has only 1 RAID controller, correct? That means your burner is in “raid mode” like your HDD’s, and it works fine for you? If this doesn´t work I will assume the drive is faulty and send it back to the shop (have to test it in someone else’2 PC to be sure). Thanks

[QUOTE=Lobsterone;2006691]I have the Intel Matrix Raid version 7.something installed but I have now downloaded the latest version 7.8.0.1012. I will try this out when I get home. Your board has only 1 RAID controller, correct? That means your burner is in “raid mode” like your HDD’s, and it works fine for you? If this doesn´t work I will assume the drive is faulty and send it back to the shop (have to test it in someone else’2 PC to be sure). Thanks[/QUOTE]

I have 2 RAID controllers The Intel and also the Jmicron
but this last one i don’t use only the Intel Raid controller is used
i have 6 SATA ( orange ) for the Intel and 2 SATA connections for the Jmicron ( purple ) on the SATA 0 and SATA 1 i have connected my two HD’s from samsung on the SATA 3 i have connected my NEC 7170S Thats why i have selected the SATA Port 0-3 Native Mode to Enabled .When disabled it din’t work for me too after enabling it it works great