New NEC 3520A not detected as a writable drive

Hi I’m new to this forum, so many thanks in advance for any help. :slight_smile:

I’ve installed an NEC 3520A DVD-RW and it appeared to have been recognised correctly by WinXP.
It plays both CDs and DVDs fine, BUT although Windows shows it as a DVD-RW in My Computer, it does not recognise it as either a CD or DVD writer.
There is no “Record” tab under properties for the drive. Consequently any burning programmes, including Media Player 10, report that they cannot detect a burner.

It is not possible to copy files to the drive, and clicking on it when no media is loaded displays a message to insert a disk, rather than an empty explorer window as it should.

I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling it several times to no avail.
Each time it detects the name of the drive correctly: NEC DVD_RW ND-3520A, but then displays that the new hardware found is “CD-ROM”.

The drive is a direct replacement for the Samsung CD-RW originally fitted. All jumper settings and cables are correct.
My machine is an Evesham Axis running WinXP SP2.

The driver version loaded by Windows is dated 01/07/2001, Version 5.1.2535.0, which is the same as the driver allocated to the existing Samsung DVD (not recorder) in the PC. I don’t think this is correct. If there’s anyone on the forum running a 3520, I’d be interested to know which driver is loaded.

Is it possible that the drive itself is faulty?

Remove all burn applications. Reload one burn application and verify that the software can burn using the NEC. You may also want to download AnyDVD and CloneDVD at Slysoft.com. See if these two proggies can burn a DVD using the NEC.

Thanks furballi.
I removed Nero 5.5, but the problem is that Windows doesn’t see the drive as writable - either CD or DVD. So if I want to drop a few files onto a CD, I can’t, because as far as XP is concerned, I don’t have a writable drive. Period.

I’m convinced it’s got nothing to do with my burning software, but rather Windows’ wretched driver detection - hence my post to General Hardware forum.
Any thoughts?

5.5 is too old…will not detect the NEC 3520. Try the latest Nero…6.6.

Yes, you’re right - in fact according to the NEC website, 5.5 doesn’t support the 3520, which is why I removed it. Nero 6 is in the post!
Unfortunately, Windows still doesn’t think I have a writable drive.

Hi all,
I also have a problem with my 3520a dvd drive. Came installed in a system (P4 3.0Ghz, 512mb RAM, 120gb HD, pre-installed XP home) but causes screen freezes when disc is inserted. Well, actually some discs seem to work, but doesn’t appear to be a pattern, except that most don’t work. Rang supplier’s engineers who sent replacement drive - but same problem. They say it is therefore likely a software fault which has corrupted the driver (probably from some sort of pre-shipping thing they have to do to remove their licence details from XP). They advise that i update Windows from web (done that) or then re-build pc! A real pain in the butt especially as i don’t have an effective drive to back up all the files already accumulated on the HD!

Does any of this make sense to anyone? Any suggestions please :smiley:

Thanks…Andy

I would suspect shoddy media. Do you have problem with factory pressed media?